So battle of the bands is like in 5 months but my guitarist nos basically no theory every time i ask him a simple theory question like "how can you tell what key a song is in" he replies "cause im cool like that.".Then I ask him no for reals how and hes like i dont know then when i try to explain it to him he doesn't pay attention.
yesterday I asked him to play the minor pentatonic scale and he played it in open position I asked him to play it in fifth position and he said he didn't know how I told him to move the shape and he was like"what?",
hes been playing viola and piano for a while and we started guitar around the same time but he knows basically no theory (reading music doesn't really count.)
but yea he tends to talk crap about the other guitarist im my school even though they know more scales and theory then he does he just says they suck cause they can't sweep pick and he doesn't do it too perfectly either
any suggestions on what i should do.
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
I had a guitarist like that in my band once.... I booted him.
Quote by RocknRollRay
If you make a clone of yourself, then have sex with yourself,

Is it incest or masturbation?
Quote by wtf290
It's not incest, but it's not masturbation.
It'd be closer to incest than masturbation, but I don't think there's a word for it.
Quote by ScottElwood
Incesturbation?
learn correct semantics
Quote by Natrone
I'm a pretty hardcore Christian. I would like to sincerely apologize that you ran into that little fucktard

Quote by mystique facade
dale-banez made a fool of himself..lol

my gear:

oh wait, no one cares
Have a jam session with random ppl and invite him. Hopefully he'll figure out that theory can be helpful once he's completely embarrassed for being the only one who couldn't keep up.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I mean like he mocks this on guitarist who's style of music is playing chords and singing but that guitarist knows a ton more theory then he does but just cause he doesnt play "trivium songs" hes not as good as he is.
Quote by Stress Cow
What is your ****ing point?

I really hate people like you that go uber-high end theory boy on people that don't know theory. You don't need to know theory but it is extremely helpful guidelines.

Either you change your ego or you are going to be kicked out of bands for being a dick. Did you ever thinking about teaching him theory or are you just bagging on him because he doesn't? If so, you are a pathetic excuse for a musician.

Edit: You both are acting like dicks.
Quote by Graveworm
What is your ****ing point?

I really hate people like you that go uber-high end theory boy on people that don't know theory. You don't need to know theory but it is extremely helpful guidelines.

Either you change your ego or you are going to be kicked out of bands for being a dick. Did you ever thinking about teaching him theory or are you just bagging on him because he doesn't? If so, you are a pathetic excuse for a musician.

Edit: You both are acting like dicks.

1. He isn't going uber-high end theory boy.
2. He didn't say you HAD to know theory.
3. If it's 'extrremely helpful,' then shouldn't the guitarist know it?
4. He said that he'd basically tried teaching him theory and he wasn't receptive.
5. You're the dick.

Quote by ealtdharkon
Yeah, as a bassist myself, I too am constantly mocking guitarists who can't sweep pick like me...

I was talking about the not knowing theory part. You know, the main point of the thread.

Quote by evening_crow
Have a jam session with random ppl and invite him. Hopefully he'll figure out that theory can be helpful once he's completely embarrassed for being the only one who couldn't keep up.

Great idea.
Quote by That-Funny-Guy
tell him to stop acting like such a bassist.

LOL thats really funny.

The bassist guy above - it's a joke. I'm a bassist myself and that was freaking funny.
DB Player
you sound like a douchebag. Theory isn't the end all and be all. If he can sound good without theory, then he doesn't need theory. If he sounds bad, make him take some lessons, or invite im to jam with other people. Let him hear how bad he sounds.
Quote by shtiming
you sound like a douchebag. Theory isn't the end all and be all. If he can sound good without theory, then he doesn't need theory. If he sounds bad, make him take some lessons, or invite im to jam with other people. Let him hear how bad he sounds.

Douche bag? you've never met me
by theory I ment that so he can compose well cause when he makes riffs they sound like balls since he just hits random notes and shit.
Quote by Stress Cow
If he can't play well, why is he playing for you in the first place?
If he isn't as bad as you say he is, then you should know that theory is something everybody needs to master. I mean, it's good to know, but just because your guitarist dosn't know it dosn't mean anything.

Pointless Thread.
Quote by caraluzzo
If he can't play well, why is he playing for you in the first place?
If he isn't as bad as you say he is, then you should know that theory is something everybody needs to master. I mean, it's good to know, but just because your guitarist dosn't know it dosn't mean anything.

Pointless Thread.

we need to write an original song for battle of the bands
thats were theory comes in so far he has written like 4 riffs that arent even in key
and hes the only guitarist i could find all the other guitarist are in other bands.
Quote by Stress Cow
i no about theory and im a guitarist not that i dont want to learn just that its to confusing but i know some scales and chords
Quote by theocao
So battle of the bands is like in 5 months but my guitarist nos basically no theory every time i ask him a simple theory question like "how can you tell what key a song is in" he replies "cause im cool like that.".Then I ask him no for reals how and hes like i dont know then when i try to explain it to him he doesn't pay attention.
yesterday I asked him to play the minor pentatonic scale and he played it in open position I asked him to play it in fifth position and he said he didn't know how I told him to move the shape and he was like"what?",
hes been playing viola and piano for a while and we started guitar around the same time but he knows basically no theory (reading music doesn't really count.)
but yea he tends to talk crap about the other guitarist im my school even though they know more scales and theory then he does he just says they suck cause they can't sweep pick and he doesn't do it too perfectly either
any suggestions on what i should do.

Theory isn't everything, he could be the most mind-blowing guitarist in tho world but have no theory to back him up and help him write songs.

You can play fast and do everything the most crazy bands can do with no theory, at all. But guitar is 50% skill 50% theory. You can't write a song without it, but knowing "More scales and more theory" than someone doesn't make you a better player.
Quote by SamuelBirkett
wtf r u say make no sensical

SAVE THE MUDKIPS
^ +1

And if he dosn't fit what you wanted, then you shouldn't have him playing for you anyways. Dosn't matter if you couldn't find sombody else at the time, it dosn't give an excuse for having him play. Settling for whatever you can get will always be something you'll regret. If you wanna write songs, then have one guitarist in the band. If you manage to write with one guitars, which I'm guessing would be yourself, then once you play shows you'll probably have a much easier time finding somebody. If you have a shit player, then it can cause the whole band to sound like shit, and nobody's going to want to hear it.
On the other hand, if he's a good player, but just can't write good songs himself, then maybe you could do him the favor of teaching him some theory. Let him know the things you know, and if things go well, then theres a good chance he'll be able to write songs then the whole band can enjoy. Just because he dosn't know theory dosn't mean he should be treated differently from other members of the band though. If you write something, and he thinks it could use something else, let him add it in there and see how things are.

To me, a band is like a team. You need full concentration, dedication and good communication in order to make it work the way it should. If you feel somebody is falling behind, then I feel you should do them the favor of helping them out, this way they'll be able to keep up with everything going on.
Quote by theocao

thats were theory comes in so far he has written like 4 riffs that arent even in key

transposing ftw?
Quote by theocao
Douche bag? you've never met me
by theory I ment that so he can compose well cause when he makes riffs they sound like balls since he just hits random notes and shit.

I didn't call you one. I just said you sound like one because of the post. Stop complaining, and boot him off. or plus one to ^ Transpose those riffs to one piece. Guitar is a transposing instrument.
I think the OP is pointing out that if the guitarist knew theory, the transposing would have been done already.

And seriously, the only negative responses I see here, are like a 100% against theory. To put it blunt, you guys seem to BE the one the TS is "complaining" about.

If he really doesn't know what he measn by "shape" or he doesn't know the minor pentatonic, thats one thing. Teh fact he seems unwilling to learn, is the bigger problem.

Sorry for a somewhat useless post, but I just had to set the negative responses straight. Even if it's a useless attempt.

Peace

And +1 to That-Funny-Guy for his 5 point post