Hey all I got a P-bass special a couple years ago, and I feel like I need to upgrade to something more.....well something that will work good with slapping, as I havent been slapping for a couple years, (the whole band doesnt want me slapping thing). As money is tight right now I really want a music man, but I cant afford it. So I noticed the OLP mm2......now I know its kinda downgrading, but a lot of people gave it good reviews, that its got a rich tone. Now as you know P-Bass specials are P-bass pickups with a j pickup by the bridge. Would the tone differ majorly on the OLP when I slap, or will the tone just sound pretty much like the P/J Blend. Now if I buy the OLP it wont just be for slapping....So will the tone sound the same when I just play away on my P/J Blend?

*thanks you*
Try and find a fender jazz,or the Ibanez ATK series
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
If you can find a second hand one im not sure on your budget buty a fender deluxe 24 is great and i love slapping on it. Ive never played an olp but i can only reckon that it will sound nicer. But yet again if you want a musicman you might as well keep saving up because its a bass that will last you for life.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
olp is not very impressive. standard squier is not that amazing either, if you get any more Squiers, the Vintage Modern or Classic Vibe series are pretty nice.

but you say you want something that sounds good with slapping. P/J sounds lovely for slapping. it could just be slapping didn't suit your music.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I like P/J's for slap, roll the P's volume back to like 50% and nice ensues.

If you wanted a Musicman, I would definitely look into hunting down a Musicman SUB. The Ibanez ATK has a nice Musicman-y tone to it as well.
well, just go down to your store and try some out. I like narrow necks and my cirrus is a very slim necked 5 string, and all my friends said i would not be able to get good slaps out, but i do anyways. the point is try some out, and if you like the slap tone, than you like the slap tone.
Peavy Cirrus 5 string
Squire Jazz bass
Berhinger ultrabass head, 450 cabinet
Resident Marvel Comic expert of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
]My band's myspace
http://www.myspace.com/jenovamusicpage
Fender Jazz
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
Quote by Spaz91
Squier Deluxe Jazz has a slap switch.

Hey thanks that bass would actually be pretty good.... except its a 5 string. No really guys thanks for all your info Ill look into slapping on my P/J. I turn the volume down 50%. But if not ill be trying out some of there basses.
OLPs aren't that good. If you want a musicman cheap, try to find an SUB, as many people have suggested. Also, try saving up for something good. You could keep buying cheap basses to save money, but with the same amount of money you could buy one really good bass that would be worth keeping
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Anything with two jazz style pick-ups sounds great for that vintage slap sound, nice and ganrly and crisp and punchy...

The Peavey Milestone or Millenium or even the Millenium AC BXP, which is active with humbuckery pick ups, for closer to that stingray sound, but cost around £200
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
yea today I went to the local guitar center and played around for a bit, I noticed that new laguna bass. Its surprisingly good for its price. I also noticed that they had a S.U.B. Dang that thing is heavy. So no go on the S.U.B. Also I played on one of those Squier Deluxe Basses with the slap switch, not really a fond of the sound. But currently I'm just looking for a one hum bass thats cheap and I could get quick. Thanks for all the help guys, I'll be heading down again to guitar center this week.
try an SRX by Ibanez. basswood body so it's light (and granted, a wee bit mid heavy) has 2 humbuckers, and has a very sweet look.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
^ I second that, though I'd expand that to include the SR's
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP