I've been thinking of buying a Zune but i'm not sure if that's my best option. It seems like it has great features but i'm a little iffy about the sound quality (haven't tried it though). I've always hated Ipods due to their lack of customizable eq settings, and I owned 2 small (one was a freebie) Sansa mp3 players that did have a 5 band eq but still wasn't much better than the ipod. This has led me to believe that all, if not most, mp3 players sound like sh*t. Please prove me wrong.

So i ask Pit: What do you think is the best MP3 player in terms of AUDIO QUALITY? I will be using this with Sennheiser HD Headphones. Oh, and my price limit is <$400 US dollars and 20gb min.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
dude, iPods do have an eq. they have the preset ones, and also if you go into iTunes, you can adjust the eq and then sync it to your iPod (at least i'm pretty sure, maybe download iTunes and check it out to be sure).

don't get a Zune though, everyone i know who has one has had nothing but problems with it, while my old iPod nano is still chuggin' along just fine.
dst127 wrote:
Soundwash22 wrote:
Fred Durst is the Tom Green of music

No, some people actually like Tom Green.

dancesisidance wrote:
Shiroshu wrote:
I can't see Jimi approving of this.

Me neither, due to him not being alive and all.
Quote by darkfire_storm
dude, iPods do have an eq. they have the preset ones, and also if you go into iTunes, you can adjust the eq and then sync it to your iPod (at least i'm pretty sure, maybe download iTunes and check it out to be sure).

don't get a Zune though, everyone i know who has one has had nothing but problems with it, while my old iPod nano is still chuggin' along just fine.

When i mentioned eq's i was referring to custom band ones, not presets. Also, ITunes is effin' annoying imo. There's pretty much no way i'm getting an IPod since they sound flat and sterile and have to be used with ITunes which is very annoying. Thanks for your help though lol...
Quote by Gargantuan
Theres a thread up about someone who got screwed by Zune, go look at that

Well i'm just asking for an mp3 with good sound quality (you know... the type of quality that you'd get from your old sony walkman cd player). I know there's other brands out there like Creative, Samsung?, and Sony...

there is a Zune thread, I made it a couple weeks ago, but I actually do reccomend the Zune.

I have tried every thing and I have enjoyed having my Zune for going on 6 months. Its a first gen and it has never had a problem.
I can do it!

And so can you!

Last.fm
Creative zen vision. Pwnage, 5 band EQ, FM radio, better file format support, its basically iPod 2 but less unreliable, ive had mine for a year and have given it a good 5 years worht of abuse in that time.

Creative have a new mp3 player just out, specifically made for audiophiles like yourself, check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Player-Wireless-Built-Speaker/dp/B001CB0RT0/ref=pd_bbs_7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1221941452&sr=8-7
Last edited by beckyjc at Sep 20, 2008,
Quote by beckyjc
Creative zen vision. Pwnage, 5 band EQ, FM radio, better file format support, its basically iPod 2 but less unreliable, ive had mine for a year and have given it a good 5 years worht of abuse in that time.

Interesting... when in hs i had my eyes on the Creative Zen Touch

Quote by evening_crow
Interesting... when in hs i had my eyes on the Creative Zen Touch

The new Creative Zen X-Fi is amazing, it has Im and texting and it has the best sound quality I know of.

Totally forgot about that one.
I can do it!

And so can you!

Last.fm
Quote by Woozye
iPod

otherwise, creative Zen

iPods ae overpriced and unreliable, there ar things with much better sound quality and more features for cheaper.
So far it seems like it will be the Creative Zen X-FI

You could get an iPod and install Rockbox on it, which allows you to play FLACs, use a customizable EQ settings, and play Doom.

It has to be a 5-5.5 gen or lower to work, though.
Quote by InvaderTSN
You could get an iPod and install Rockbox on it, which allows you to play FLACs, use a customizable EQ settings, and play Doom.

It has to be a 5-5.5 gen or lower to work, though.

Like i said, i WILL NOT BUY AN IPOD.

I've used them and they sound terrible and can be a hassle to use, particularly because they enforce the use of Itunes.

Quote by evening_crow
Like i said, i WILL NOT BUY AN IPOD.

I've used them and they sound terrible and can be a hassle to use, particularly because they enforce the use of Itunes.

They also refuse WMA and shit.

Check out that X-fi zen.
Quote by Jackolas
They also refuse WMA and shit.

Check out that X-fi zen.

I'm gonna have to buy it online which means that i won't get to try it out beforehand.

How was the sound on your Zen?

Get an iPod Touch 32GB. Its the sexiest thing you will ever see in your life, and has great functionality.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Ichimaru
Get an iPod Touch 32GB. Its the sexiest thing you will ever see in your life, and has great functionality.

This is the 3rd time i say this: I WILL NOT GET AN IPOD

Thanks for your useless help.

Quote by evening_crow
I'm gonna have to buy it online which means that i won't get to try it out beforehand.

How was the sound on your Zen?

Very good, best MP3 player I'd used in terms of storage (60gb) and sound.
Quote by Kapps
I really like my Cowon D2. Touchscreen (not very navigatable by buttons. If something happens to the screen, you're scewed), 4 gigs current space but has a flash card slot, and is supposed to be amazing for sound quality. Cost me $180 after shipping.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2007/04/cowon-iaudio-d2-review.php

Thanks but i'm looking for 20gigs and up.

while itunes is annoying, im gonna get one of the new nanos because of the 16 gig flash memory and i refuse to buy a zune. 8 gigs was never enough, but 16 would be fine for me.

only thing i really hate about itunes is that you cant rip songs from your ipod to itunes, this can be solved with programs like iDump though.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
oh yeah, main thing i hate about itunes is no WMA files
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by MaximumOverture
I recommend checking this website out:
www.anythingbutipod.com

For me, I think I'm going to get the new Creative Zen X-Fi. However, it is still not available in my area.

Yeah i checked it out for a couple of hours. Now it made me have second thoughts on the X-Fi. The Cowon D2 looks tempting for it's audio quality but the touch screen doesn't quite convince me.

The X-Fi looks better imo and has double the capacity and also includes sd memory card expansion ability as well. 16gb in the D2 would be enought for now but i'm planning on keeping it for at least 3 years. By then i would have to get an sd card too. With the X-Fi i can get an SD for videos only and keep all my music in the player itself.

ipods rule!!

EQ dont need changing anyway with good earphones!

plus you can make your ipod even prettier using ipodwizard.net
I prefer the Zune over Ipod...but i prefer Mac over PC...go figure.

As for sound quality, its usually the mp3 itself, Mp3 isnt a great great format...so...its usually not the the player itself.
Quote by evening_crow
It seems like it has great features but i'm a little iffy about the sound quality (haven't tried it though).

The Zune's sound quality is excellent and the stock earphones are the best. They beat a large number of 3rd party earphones.

I say Zune.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
The Zune's sound quality is excellent and the stock earphones are the best. They beat a large number of 3rd party earphones.

I say Zune.

I actually want a Zune but i'm not convinced on the sound quality. I remember once trying my friend's Zune with his stock (or at least back then they were) earbuds and his skull candy headphones and i found it very flat and non-expressive. Also it has no custom eq settings, only presets.

Now, i am aware that mp3 format isn't as good as other formats such as flac, but it's much easier to work with. And i suppose this is the 4th time i say this:

NO IPODS.

They're terrible imo, except for the user interface.

Also, i'm not exactly an audiophile but i can tell when something sounds good or not. For headphones i might use the included ear buds or my Sennheiser HD 212 Pro.