Hey all you masterbassers,

The bass player in my band is thinking of upgrading from his little 60W Warwick amp as he actually wants to be heard at band practice and gigs. He's quite new to bass but is coming along brilliantly so i want to be able to recommend him an amp that he can stick with for a long time and will help him to progress. Our band plays rock of all shapes and sizes so it needs to be quite capable and versatile, and also giggable without a PA. As a player he likes anything from Sabbath to Feeder, so long as he can bob his head to it! Id tell him to go try some out but thats pretty impossible where we live, our local (40 mins away) music shop stocks mgs and squiers

Please bare in mind we are in the UK when you make your suggestions .

So far ive recommended him the Laney RB8, as thats the sort of price he wants to pay (well, £350-400 max max). Maybe a Hartke or Ampeg?

Your help is much appreciated.
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Last edited by USCENDONE BENE at Sep 20, 2008,
ashdown *CaptainJack666 wonders if he will ever tire of reccomending ashdown amps....... nope*
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
That laney is good I have a friend who owns one or one which is very similar, I agree with captin jack can't go far wrong with a nice ashdown mag (I own the 4x10 combo and love it) both of these are good. I've never tryed a ampeg or hartke so I can't comment on those, good luck finding what he needs though.
Quote by CaptainJack666
ashdown *CaptainJack666 wonders if he will ever tire of reccomending ashdown amps....... nope*

Any particular model?

You are cool because of your sig. Respec!
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
the fender rumble series work great and are not that expensive, and i can be heard at most gigs( depending on the venue size) very well. its only like 300 dollars to get one of those. another good recommendation are the gallien kruger gold line series or something like that, you can get a 4x10 amp and head for like six hundred and that will work great for all gigs.
Peavy Cirrus 5 string
Squire Jazz bass
Berhinger ultrabass head, 450 cabinet
Resident Marvel Comic expert of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
]My band's myspace
http://www.myspace.com/jenovamusicpage
Quote by USCENDONE BENE
Any particular model?

You are cool because of your sig. Respec!

theyre all brilliant, i smell a rundown

all access: practice amps, 15, 30 and 100 watt (not for gigging)
Electric Blue: 180 watt, essentially a louder practice as its not enought to gig
MAG: my favourite, not the best obviously but enough power to gig at 300 and 600 watt and great tone
ABM: a better MAG
klystron: gods amp
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by CaptainJack666
theyre all brilliant, i smell a rundown

all access: practice amps, 15, 30 and 100 watt (not for gigging)
Electric Blue: 180 watt, essentially a louder practice as its not enought to gig
MAG: my favourite, not the best obviously but enough power to gig at 300 and 600 watt and great tone
ABM: a better MAG
klystron: gods amp

To get the full wattage out of any Ashdown combo, you need an extension cab. The MAG 300 only runs at around 180W without one, and it isn't a loud 180W.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
To get the full wattage out of any Ashdown combo, you need an extension cab. The MAG 300 only runs at around 180W without one, and it isn't a loud 180W.

when i refer to amps i refer to head and cab config, but yes ur point is well made
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by USCENDONE BENE
Ok cool, thanks

after consulting delirium my next purchase will more than likely be a mag 300 head and a 410 cab, should be tasty
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Hi. I have the RB8 myself and is a pretty decent amp, although the compressor/limiter and a little silly in the way that they work. If you can get to birmingham (not knowing where your based), go to Fair Deal Music, I got mine there for £300. Also take a look at the RB7, it is the same power, a different speaker combo and it kicks back. It doesn't have the graphic eq though.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/rb-7/69001
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
what would that be called? a Fibson with Gender confusion issues?
Try out Hartke Amps, they are really good mid priced amps

I love mine. I used to over power my guitarists Marshall MG-100 and the drums, but the guitarist didn't do that much

he now has some lane all tube head and when hes on 3 hes like... whoa!, so i crank mine to about 4 or 5, and the drummer just hits harder...

Vocals are completely lost.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
tell him to check out a fender bassman, excellent tone and sexy as ****
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Crate, cheap and gets the job done. Sometimes a little too much, in my case...
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410