Hi
I'm still a beginner, I heard many on this site saying that theory is kinda' important, Now I wanna learn theory, even though I'm not gonna pursue a career in music or anything, maybe make some songs when I get better. But many say that you need a good teacher for theory. Now there is only 1 guitar tuition place in my town, and it charges about $35 for a 40 minute lesson, which I'm absolutely not taking.
So, is a teacher really needed to learn theory? Oh, and one more thing, I can't find any books that teach theory either, so I'd have to learn using the internet.

Summary, do I really need a teacher to learn theory? And what are some good sites that would at least help me learn basic theory? At least enough to understand what other guitarists are talking about, and to be able to improvise and stuff?

I would really appreciate it if anyone helped me.

Thanks a lot in advance.
theres a ridiculous amount of theory books out there! you might have to order them though....

and no, a teacher is not NECESSARY.. but its convenient to have someone to ask to clarify any questions you might have. theory can be confusing so having someone to help you is nice. there are some helpful people in the MT area who are more than willing to clarify anything for you.

edit: speaking of which, you might want to move this post to the music theory section of the forums.
Problem with music theory on guitar is there is alot of conflicting info. And somebody learning blues is gonna need different stuff than somebody learning death metal. I find chords used in songs I cant find in any books or searching on the net. I find chord progressions that dont fit in any music theory. One person says this another says that. I have 3 books on scales they all say different things sometimes they come together many times not. Somebody like satriani knows theory inside and out and every version between. Somebody like angus young knows 2 scales and 6 chords. And dimebag said he knew no theory. So if you get a teacher they will say one thing then go to another and they will say the first guy is full of it. Alot of it your gonna have to sit down and figure out yourself what sounds good and what doesnt.
Quote by Tackleberry
Problem with music theory on guitar is there is alot of conflicting info. And somebody learning blues is gonna need different stuff than somebody learning death metal. I find chords used in songs I cant find in any books or searching on the net. I find chord progressions that dont fit in any music theory. One person says this another says that. I have 3 books on scales they all say different things sometimes they come together many times not. Somebody like satriani knows theory inside and out and every version between. Somebody like angus young knows 2 scales and 6 chords. And dimebag said he knew no theory. So if you get a teacher they will say one thing then go to another and they will say the first guy is full of it. Alot of it your gonna have to sit down and figure out yourself what sounds good and what doesnt.

indeed! like you said in the last sentence... as long as you can write things that you think sound good, it doesnt really matter how much you know.
First off, i'm glad your deciding to learn theory. It will help more than you probably think also. There is a good (free) lesson on ultimate-guitar that teaches theory, its a bit confusing but I printed it off last year and I studied it during school for a few weeks to get it down.

heres the link http://ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html

Quote by Jeremy Clark
First off, i'm glad your deciding to learn theory. It will help more than you probably think also. There is a good (free) lesson on ultimate-guitar that teaches theory, its a bit confusing but I printed it off last year and I studied it during school for a few weeks to get it down.

heres the link http://ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html

Thanks a lot dude! You're awesome! Just what I needed!
Have a look at the Crusade articles by Josh Urban in the Columns section too.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
How much theory should one take at a time ?
I am very interested in knowing the theory part too but then cannot follow after a while . . (stuff like modes)
You start at the beginning - there's a lot to learn and it takes a long time, it's certainly not a case of reading about the major scale on Monday, minor scale on Tuesday, modes on Wednesday, chilled on Sunday etc.

It's a massive subject, the major scale alone offers a potential lifetime of study - to learn theory you simply start at the beginning and when you understand something you can look to learn a bit more. The key word here is understand, memorising a scale pattern isn't understanding, it's not like learning a song when you just follow the tab. That's why the crusade articles are good, they give you the basics you need and also give you a bit of a framework to structure your learning around.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com