I was hanging out with a friend the other day, and playing some guitar. We got on the subject of bass guitars. She's played bass for quite a while, and frankly.. I haven't. When I said that I'd always wanted to learn bass, she said that she had an old bass that she'd sell me for $20 bucks. So I jumped at that price, and am sitting now with a Wal-Mart brand bass guitar called a First Act or something like that. Nothing high quality, but worth the $20 I'd say... Anyway, I just automatically assumed that this bass guitar would work with the amp I have for my guitar. Hahaha... I was wrong. I plugged it in, and unfortunately it doesn't play through my amp. After talking to some friends, they suggested that I may have to get an actual BASS AMP. Is this a normal requirement for a bass guitar??

I appreciate any help!!

-Mike
you cant play bass thorugh a guitar amp, bass must be played through a bass amp
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
It should work, albeit not brilliantly, played through ANY amp. If it won't play through your amp and your guitar will, chances are there's some fault with your bass, probably in the jack port or a loose connection inside.
You ought to have the bass looked at by someone who knows what they're doing and can find out what the problem is.
Also, I've always been led to believe that playing a bass through a guitar amp (or vice versa) can be damaging to the amp. Either way, it probably would be best to get a bass amp once your bass is fixed.
Quote by CaptainJack666
you cant play bass thorugh a guitar amp, bass must be played through a bass amp

Try telling Lemmy from Motorhead that.

It's a better idea to use a bass amp, but it's not unheard of.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Quote by stjimmee
It should work, albeit not brilliantly, played through ANY amp. If it won't play through your amp and your guitar will, chances are there's some fault with your bass, probably in the jack port or a loose connection inside.
You ought to have the bass looked at by someone who knows what they're doing and can find out what the problem is.
Also, I've always been led to believe that playing a bass through a guitar amp (or vice versa) can be damaging to the amp. Either way, it probably would be best to get a bass amp once your bass is fixed.

So... Wait. Am I to assume that since my bass wouldn't play at all through my guitar amp, that there's something wrong with my bass port??
Quote by roythereaper
Try telling Lemmy from Motorhead that.

It's a better idea to use a bass amp, but it's not unheard of.

Lemmy still uses bass cabinets.

Everyone else I know of uses a bass amp.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack

yeah, as i mentioned in another one of these self replicating "bass thru guitar amp?" threads, dan andriano liked the tone of his marshall giutar amp and broke loads of them recording an early album
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by Bl00dJunkie
So... Wait. Am I to assume that since my bass wouldn't play at all through my guitar amp, that there's something wrong with my bass port??

A guitar amp is not meant to have a bass played through it, but you should still get some sort of output from the amp. If you get no noise at all then there probably is a fault with your bass.
As I said, get it checked out.
Quote by gm jack

Oh foreshame sorry.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Alright. Thank you StJimmee. I'll consider getting the port checked. And my apologies Captain Jack... I didn't realize this was such a common thread.