i cannot decide between these amps. price is (almost) no object, i will be saving up for them so it will be a while anyway. every thing includes a matching 4X12 if that makes any difference.

Diezal VH4
Randall Kirk Hammet
Randall V2
Krank Rev+
Krank Krankenstein+
Marshall JCM800 2203KK
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier
VHT Sig:X
Randall Warhead (possibly)

i havent played any of them and i know ill get some flak from that, but the only music stores around me are small, and the closest guitar centers are 30 miles away give or take, so i cant play any of these. price is no object, i wil be saving for them so it will be a while w/any of these.

I am looking for a good metal amp. but i do want good cleans too. i have a Boss MT-2 but i would like an amp i wouldnt have to use a DS for. i play metallica (if you havent figured that out yet), pantera, testament, BLS, ozzy, those kinds of sounds. i am playing into my current amp w/a gibson goth explorer. my current amp is a marshall MG250DFX. and contrary to what zakk wylde says, the overdrive is NOT crushing

I have prolly forgoten somthing so questions are welcome

Thanx
Gear:
Gibson Goth Explorer
Fender Gemini II
Dean Cemetery Gates Rzrbck
Marshall MG250 (screw you guys everyone i kno loves this amp)
Digitech Whammy IV
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss NS-2
MXR 10 Band EQ (black, not blue)
Definately try a Peavey 5150 if possible, and see if you like it. I owned one and didn't like it, but it may suit you well (Keep in mind that the cleans aren't particularly good.), and you should be able to get one fairly cheaply. Another Peavey you may want to give a chance if you can find one is a JSX, which is supposed to be fairly versitile (I haven't played one.), and you can get em pretty cheap on Ebay.

I say stay away from the Kranks. I, personally, think that they sound like ass.

For Randall, even though I've never played one, their modular amps sound like a pretty badass deal, so that may be something that you wanna look into if you want versatility.

If you are gonna go VHT, definitely get an Ultralead or CLX if price isn't a problem. They are really leaps and bounds better than the Sig X, IMO. Good cleans, good distortion, just plain good.

For Mesa, go with either a Roadster or Road King. Amazing distortion, great clean channels, and everything in between (The features in these make them leaps and bounds better than regular Dual Recs.). If money isn't a problem, DEFINITELY look into those two amplifiers (Particularly the Road King.).
Last edited by xVSxNightmare at Sep 20, 2008,
try a 5150 or a 6505. same amps. or 5150II/6505+. better cleans. great amps. the matching cabs are nice, but i love mesa boogie rectifier cabs. he rectifier is a great mp for metal. pretty good for nothing else frankly. i'd buy it. same with the 5150.

and zakk doesnt use a mg. he has a jcm800 i believe. that is crushing. and he could be talking about his mxr overdrive, which is crushing if you use it with an amp distortion. you get awesome sustain and gain from it. paired with cleans the pedal is really not great.

the jcm 800 is a good amp. jcm900 has more gain i believe.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
on the marshall site it has a quote of him sayin the mg's OD is "crushing". he only uses them as practice amps, if at all. they prolly just pay him to advertise MGs.
Gear:
Gibson Goth Explorer
Fender Gemini II
Digitech Whammy IV
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss NS-2
i am not an EVH fan but if i get the chance ill try the 5150s. thanx for the replies.
Gear:
Gibson Goth Explorer
Fender Gemini II
Digitech Whammy IV
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss NS-2
woah. those VHTs is EXPENSIVE! this is why i said price is "almost" not an object. i should prolly look into the whole...price thing
Gear:
Gibson Goth Explorer
Fender Gemini II
Digitech Whammy IV
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss NS-2
umm, if you think the VHT's are expensive, have you seen the prices of Diezels? mid $4,000 range. but i think both Mesa's and 5150/6505's sound badass
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
I would recommend the Mesa/Boogie or the Krank Rev+. Personally I like the sound of both of them. The 6505 is ok, it seems VERY middy for my tastes. No matter where I turned the knobs it just sounded like mids to me. I would not recommend the Randalls, unless you like the sound of solid state amps.
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
Look at my sig!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
Look at my sig!

that's a good price. he should buy it. he's a scammer!!!! jk.. no really that's a good price for a barely used amp. i'd haggle it if i were you still. i hate buying things at prices people want them.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Thanks for the endorsement haha. Serisouly though, the amp is just about new, and I need i gone very soon.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
kay, diezels are out, vhts are out, kranks are so-so, and no comment on the marshalls yet.

Thanx guys

and for the peavey for sale: i have no money right now. i am trying to figure out which amp i wanna buy AFTER i buy my guitar, which will prolly be in a year or so. but i will check into 5150/6505s now.
Gear:
Gibson Goth Explorer
Fender Gemini II
Digitech Whammy IV
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss NS-2
Quote by tenaciousjp
single recto for $1600 new would do you good

what is the sound difference between single, double, and triple rectifiers?
Gear:
Gibson Goth Explorer
Fender Gemini II
Digitech Whammy IV
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss NS-2
Number of channels, and the higher the rectifiers, the more aggression it is likely able to achieve.

If you can avoid it, don't buy a normal Dual Rec head, and instead get a Roadster for the extra money. You really get a ton more amp for relatively little money.

Since money really is an object (:P), I actually recommend looking into Rect-o-verbs (Mesa.), 5150s (Peavey.), Single Rectifiers (Mesa.), and maybe a Stilletto (Mesa. This is a maybe, and you may want an OD to get it to the levels you want. The other three you could probably buy on Ebay without ever playing and be confident that you'd be happy when it showed up, but this you'd really need to get to know first.).

Good luck!
Quote by pantallica95
what is the sound difference between single, double, and triple rectifiers?

Eh, for starters, the triple is 300w. and the single is 50? or is it 100? i always forget.
But yes, more rectifiers, obviously, which is going to offer more agression, but it's also going to offer a bit more variety in tone. (better cleans on the triple, imo)

Anyway, the Trem-o-Verb and Roadsters are excellent recommendations.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
TS: i know its not in ur list but fyi Bugera can also do metal well. cheers..
Quote by theoreticmusic
Eh, for starters, the triple is 300w. and the single is 50? or is it 100? i always forget.

no, the triple is a 150w head, dual is 100, single is 50. ok, what is this solo output they have on rectos? is it like a swtchable master volume on the krankensteins?
Gear:
Gibson Goth Explorer
Fender Gemini II
Digitech Whammy IV
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss NS-2
now are any of the 5150s better than the others? are the new ones (III) better than the 6505?
Gear:
Gibson Goth Explorer
Fender Gemini II
Digitech Whammy IV
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss NS-2
Quote by DDoug
. I would not recommend the Randalls, unless you like the sound of solid state amps.

i dont know if i like the sounds or not. ive never played a tube amp. my first amp was a randall practice, and my marshall is solid state.

thanx again for the suggestions guys
Gear:
Gibson Goth Explorer
Fender Gemini II
Digitech Whammy IV
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss NS-2