My mate asked me the other day what i thought of some random new songs which were in the charts and frequently played on the radio and i'm afraid i had never heard of any of them and they all seemed pretty crap to be honest. This made me wonder if i should listen to the radio now and then instead of just listening to my favourite bands non stop?
I have just realised why i never listen to the radio: radio DJ's talk too much!
nah i don't listen to the radio. i look for new music at clubs/events and on the net (including internet radio) and i often find lots of stuff i love this way. when i do happen to hear regular radio stations i very very rarely hear anything that appeals to me, so i'm not going to spend a significant amount of time looking for tunes that way. if you aren't keen on the radio, that's fine - find music wherever it suits you
from daylight...
...into darkness
Quote by s7706
I have just realised why i never listen to the radio: radio DJ's talk too much!

same here. i just wanna listen to music. not gossip.
If you don't like the radio don't listen to it, if you want to find new music the internet is a very good way to look for many bands, and ones that do not necessarily suit the radio.
There are some good radio stations out there. I used to just get my music from Kerrang TV - and now I watch it and listen to it on their radio station and most of the time it's crap. In the UK (and various other countrys) we have Virgin radio and that plays some wicked music. Virgin play everything from Metallica to The Jam. We also have Planet rock which is quite cool.

Now days more and more "underground" music is hiting the radio which kinda makes it non-underground...
Signed.
Some DJs are good. Annie Mac, for example. I always have to listen to her show online the next day since I'm always out when she's on.
It depends... some stuff on the charts *is* good, but these bands tend to either be one hit wonders who just happened to have one catchy song (Paramore, Flobots) or well established bands. Not that they're not talanted musicians, or good songs, quite the opposite.

However a lot of the corporate churned out music is so overproduced and molded that it makes my stomach crawl. Listen to what you like, so long as its actual music - not just 'formula writing.'
alice cooper does a pretty good classic rock radio show on a station near where i live it probably gets broadcasted on alot of stations though
Quote by s7706
My mate asked me the other day what i thought of some random new songs which were in the charts and frequently played on the radio and i'm afraid i had never heard of any of them and they all seemed pretty crap to be honest. This made me wonder if i should listen to the radio now and then instead of just listening to my favourite bands non stop?

It's a way to find new music you might like. If you truly loved music, you would not be asking such a silly question. Yes, listen to the radio. No one says you have to listen to it exclusively, but once every week or two, station-surf for a while.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by BigFatSandwich
It's a way to find new music you might like. If you truly loved music, you would not be asking such a silly question. Yes, listen to the radio. No one says you have to listen to it exclusively, but once every week or two, station-surf for a while.

Sorry, i kinda worded my question wrongly. My question was not asking should i listen to the radio or not at all. My question was implying that i wanted to see what you lot thought of the radio.
I listen to Planet Rock fairly regularly but to be honest I think they just have about 100 songs which they loop over and over again.
Yours sincerely,

bobwentpop, UG's favourite spontaneous combustion victim.
Quote by s7706
Sorry, i kinda worded my question wrongly. My question was not asking should i listen to the radio or not at all. My question was implying that i wanted to see what you lot thought of the radio.

Oooh. Well, in that case... the radio is made to cater to people who don't care enough about music (or aren't smart enough) to download the music they want. I assume the people on this site don't fit into their target audience, so most of us are probably gonna tell you mainstream radio is hell and Clear Channel is its Satan.

But I like to listen to the radio for a few minutes at a time every now and then. Like I said, you never know when you might find a new song or a new band you like.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
One of my radio stations broadcasts a local band thing every so often, it's quite fun to listen to local bands.
I always listen to the radio, just as company. When I'm home alone or something, I just chill with the radio on, and fall asleep with it. Whenever I'm listening to my own music, I bring out hardcore and metal and all that.
i think the radio is pollution and conformity! I think its fun to find new music while holding on to what you like to listen to. When im bored ill make a post or talk to friends about whats out there thats similar to what i like also.....pandora.com(no spam intented) is a free site that lets you listen to music. i strongly reccomend that for finding new artists similar to your musical preferences
RIP Dime

Long Live Metal
mainstream radio, is usually filled with the current song of the hour, and then a playlist of the usual "safe songs", so for the most part there isnt a whole lot to be "discovered" as such on the radio. Unless you listen to DJs that frequent late night shows, as they dont have the onus to maintain large audiences. Also try internet radio if you want to discover more music.

On the other hand, if you just wanna keep up with whats big in the charts, just keep an eye on the singles downloads from places like iTunes.

If your looking for recommendations i usually check out the forum dedicated to whatever genre im in the mood for. Its led me to some real gems