Page 1 of 3
I just saw this story:
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=634806

And I just don't understand what motivates these terrorists.
I can understand groups like the IRA and Hamas, who are politically motivated and are actually trying to achieve goals but I don't get groups like al-Qaeda.

Do they actually have goals? What are they trying to achieve? Their attacks are indiscriminate and seem completely random. They're not just targeting westerners, they'll target anyone. They claim they're fighting in the name of religion but they kill more muslims in their attacks then anyone else. It seems like they spend their entire lives training just so that they can murder people.

I don't get it
Social Jihad - a higher route of existence after death when you martyre yourself for religious purposes.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Say Ocean
BTW - The vast majority of Muslims do not consider Jihad to mean holy war/suicide bom

Truth but it's one way to answer the question.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by ferretman
I just saw this story:

I can understand groups like the IRA and Hamas, who are politically motivated and are actually trying to achieve goals but I don't get groups like al-Qaeda.

Do they actually have goals? What are they trying to achieve? Their attacks are indiscriminate and seem completely random. They're not just targeting westerners, they'll target anyone. They claim they're fighting in the name of religion but they kill more muslims in their attacks then anyone else. It seems like they spend their entire lives training just so that they can murder people.

I don't get it

I, for one, would like to congratulate Osama on acquiring the demolitions contract in New York, I would say thats a big achievement.
The Prime Factorisation of the number of the beast : 2x3x3x37
Their purpose is to cause instability in a country so that the social infrastructure collapses, due to fear among people. If no one feels safe, they believe that it'll somehow force the government to do what they want.

Where?!
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Last edited by break-me-in at Sep 20, 2008,
Quote by AzureNight
Their purpose is to cause instability in a country so that the social infrastructure collapses, due to fear among people. If no one feels safe, they believe that it'll somehow force the government to do what they want.

This.
That's what fanatical indoctrination since you're a little kid causes. AKA being batshit insane.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Terrorist is a useless word. Mandela was considered a terrorist until recently.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by metaldud536
What's there to understand about terrorists? They kill people.

Wow - you're ****ing ignorant. Let's not try to understand the problems and issues that lead to terrorism and allow terrorists to gain power and recruit so that we can stop it at the source, rather than just react to it when they kill people. They're just terrorist baby-killing machines.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
Terrorist is a useless word. Mandela was considered a terrorist until recently.

Okay. Let's call them "People that blow up stuff without a justified reason".
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by AzureNight

but what do they want. the killings have become a ends in themselves
Quote by urik

What one person considers a justified reason another may not. It's a very subjective term. Couldn't we just call them assholes? Not all assholes blow people up, but it'll make you think twice about taking that old lady's seat on the bus, if you're gonna be associated with terrorists.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by Say Ocean
Wow - you're ****ing ignorant. Let's not try to understand the problems and issues that lead to terrorism and allow terrorists to gain power and recruit so that we can stop it at the source, rather than just react to it when they kill people. They're just terrorist baby-killing machines.

Definition of terrorism
the calculated use of violence (or the threat of violence) against civilians in order to attain goals that are political or religious or ideological in nature; this is done through intimidation or coercion or instilling fear

What are you trying to say? That terrorism is a good thing? I didn't say that "I don't understand terrorism"
Quote by urik

Ok.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by ferretman
but what do they want. the killings have become a ends in themselves

Obviously this depends on the terrorist group. Terrorists aren't part of one big terrorist group, there are many, with various goals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qutbism < Al Qaeda's apparent ideology, if they truly exist as an organized group.
Al-Qaeda are trying to murder people who aren't Muslims (i.e. most of the west) and to make people live in fear. What's not to get?
Quote by frusciante_man1
cakemonster..you are truly my hero
HONK
Quote by DeSean
HONK!I like your cake.
Quote by olif8
And Cakeface, why didn't you sig my

HONK!

from that other thread?

Quote by LordBishek

I can't stand it any longer.

HONK

Honk if you love cake! HONK!!
Quote by cakemonster91
Al-Qaeda are trying to murder people who aren't Muslims (i.e. most of the west) and to make people live in fear. What's not to get?

the fact that most of the people they murder are muslim
Quote by metaldud536
Definition of terrorism
the calculated use of violence (or the threat of violence) against civilians in order to attain goals that are political or religious or ideological in nature; this is done through intimidation or coercion or instilling fear

What are you trying to say? That terrorism is a good thing? I didn't say that "I don't understand terrorism"

Haha you honestly thought I was trying to say it's good? Notice how I said "so we can stop it at it's source instead of just responding to attacks." Of course I want it to stop. You said "what's there to understand." I basically took that as there is no reason to look into what their goals are, why they do what they do, how they gain power and recruit, and simplify it as "they just kill people." In the definition you gave, notice how it says to attain goals that are political or religious, etc? You have to understand those goals and the people themselves in order to stop it.

Terrorists are people, not animals or monsters. This means that you have to understand what they're all about, and how they plan to go about what they want to do. This is how you stop recruitment, etc.
Quote by Say Ocean
Haha you honestly thought I was trying to say it's good? Notice how I said "so we can stop it at it's source instead of just responding to attacks." Of course I want it to stop. You said "what's there to understand." I basically took that as there is no reason to look into what their goals are, why they do what they do, how they gain power and recruit, and simplify it as "they just kill people." In the definition you gave, notice how it says to attain goals that are political or religious, etc? You have to understand those goals and the people themselves in order to stop it.

Terrorists are people, not animals or monsters. This means that you have to understand what they're all about, and how they plan to go about what they want to do. This is how you stop recruitment, etc.

I understand these goals and my opinion is that these kinds of people are assholes.

Don't call me ignorant next time.
Quote by ferretman
the fact that most of the people they murder are muslim

I already told you, they are trying to cause instability in Iraq and Afghanistan to collapse the US installed governments in those countries. They have an overarching purpose, but in respect to those specific countries, they simply want to force a collapse of society.

Don't think that all terrorists are Muslim anyways. You have the Shining Path in Peru (commies), the FARC and ELN in Columbia, the IRA in Ireland, New Peoples Army in the Phillipines (commies), etc.
Quote by metaldud536
I understand these goals and my opinion is that these kinds of people are assholes.

Don't call me ignorant next time.

Don't act like terrorism is as simple as"they kill people, what's to understand" next time.
Quote by Say Ocean
Don't act like terrorism is as simple as"they kill people, what's to understand" next time.

But they do.

And it sounds pretty simple to me. "Dont like the political ideals/etc/etc? Make people piss themselves."
Quote by J-B
I, for one, would like to congratulate Osama on acquiring the demolitions contract in New York, I would say thats a big achievement.

I hear they're hard to acquire.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by metaldud536
But they do.

And it sounds pretty simple to me. "Dont like the political ideals/etc/etc? Make people piss themselves."

Of course they kill people, and that's wrong. But there is much more to understand than that
Quote by AzureNight
I already told you, they are trying to cause instability in Iraq and Afghanistan to collapse the US installed governments in those countries. They have an overarching purpose, but in respect to those specific countries, they simply want to force a collapse of society.

Don't think that all terrorists are Muslim anyways. You have the Shining Path in Peru (commies), the FARC and ELN in Columbia, the IRA in Ireland, New Peoples Army in the Phillipines (commies), etc.

Just out of interest, why did you point out the communist ones?
Rule number three: Never open the package

It's magic magic baby!

Yoink!
Bring down the Western infidels and end their meddling in their affairs. Essentially.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by homair
Just out of interest, why did you point out the communist ones?

Because otherwise you'd have no idea what I was talking about if I was just listing random acronyms. Most people have heard of Columbian guerrillas and the IRA.
Quote by HoldFastHope
One man's terrorist is another man's revolutionary.
Never forget that.

A terrorist is someone who could be a revolutionary if they didn't have a particular penchant for killing the fuck out of everyone.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
They amuse me because they pick and chose what suits their goals out of the Qu'ran to justify murdering people.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Quote by rickyy
They amuse me because they pick and chose what suits their goals out of the Qu'ran to justify murdering people.

Christians have picked and chosen out of the bible to justify murder and slavery in our own country.

Quote by ferretman
I just saw this story:

I don't get it

so you are saying its fine if someone blows up innocent people who are israeli or english but god forbid they do anything against america??? **** you, you self centered asshole. basically they are trying to keep the US the **** out of the middle east and are doing that by killing innocent people.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by ferretman
I just saw this story:

I don't get it

They kill Muslims but I believe they kill the Sunni which is a different sect of Islam. There is a civil war in Iraq and that is the reason they kill them. They also attack Westerners because they consider western culture the epitome of evil.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
They want to get to the field's of black-eye'd virgins or whatever they're taught about in the madrasa's (spelling?).
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by metaldud536
What's there to understand about terrorists? They kill people.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. In all fairness under the definition of terrorist any military could be considered terrorists.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Page 1 of 3