THIS IS ABOUT WORSHIP SERVICES NOT THE WORSHIP OF GUITARS. (Flame shield up)

Okay, heres the deal. My dad has been a pastor for a while and he wants me to play in the services, I figure it'd be a great way to:

A. Get involved in church
B. Practice playing up in front of people and not being scared
C. Possibly make some dough

We already have a worship guitarist, she plays acoustic. I was wondering if there was somewhere I could get actual tab for the songs because there is no point in playing the EXACT same thing together. If someone could find me a Christian TAB website (not just chords) I'd be forever grateful, if not, anyone have the tab for some Christian songs? (Here I Am To Worship plz!)

Thanks a bunch.
Quote by SamuelBirkett
wtf r u say make no sensical

SAVE THE MUDKIPS
make stuff up..
How bout' no you crazy Dutch Bastard!

You live in the middle of nowhere? THEN BLOW **** UP!

Pretty Heavy and thick??...Sounds like a wasp fucking an Exhaust pipe...Its Rubbish!
You have a guitar fetish !

oh... misreaded title
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
Improvise.
All your base are belong to us.
Yeah, I'm totally agree with the others.

Especially if you're playing electric overtop the acoustic. You have a lot of room to improvise. Be creative.

But if you're looking for ideas, I have seen a lot of worship songs on here. You may find the tabs under the names of artists who've covered the song (Newsboys, for example), but it should be close enough. A lot of them just have chords.

Otherwise google, I suppose.
Okay, I have no experience improvising over anyone, could someone give me a crash course on improvising over acoustic chords?
Quote by SamuelBirkett
wtf r u say make no sensical

SAVE THE MUDKIPS
Learn your scales. That's the best place to start (probably with the major scale). If you look around the site here, there are a LOT of great music theory threads. I'd start with studying the heck out of the "Music Theory FAQ" thread. That's what I used to teach me a ton of stuff.

Here's basically what you'll want to be able to understand:
- Playing in key. You'll want to be able to tell the difference between a C major key and an E minor key. When you do that, you'll know WHAT notes you can use in a song.
-Scales. Scales are an easy way to know what notes you can play in a song. They can quickly and efficiently be switched from key to key.

It may be confusing at first, but study it like you would the bible. It'll be worth it, trust me. In my opinion, theory is essential to writing music. It's ok to break the rules sometimes, but just make sure you know what rules you're breaking.

Hope that helped. If you have any trouble, feel free to message me.
Quote by XacrossXwatersX
Learn your scales. That's the best place to start (probably with the major scale). If you look around the site here, there are a LOT of great music theory threads. I'd start with studying the heck out of the "Music Theory FAQ" thread. That's what I used to teach me a ton of stuff.

Here's basically what you'll want to be able to understand:
- Playing in key. You'll want to be able to tell the difference between a C major key and an E minor key. When you do that, you'll know WHAT notes you can use in a song.
-Scales. Scales are an easy way to know what notes you can play in a song. They can quickly and efficiently be switched from key to key.

It may be confusing at first, but study it like you would the bible. It'll be worth it, trust me. In my opinion, theory is essential to writing music. It's ok to break the rules sometimes, but just make sure you know what rules you're breaking.

Hope that helped. If you have any trouble, feel free to message me.

Very good post. I've played in worship bands for years. One thing you can't go wrong with as an electric guitarist is to play the melody. Please don't just strum chords..that's what the acoustic is for.
Yeah, learning the chord progression and improvising over that is usually the best for worship, since most worship leaders don't do songs in very structured formats anyways (they tend to skip around the songs, sing the chorus over and over again, improvise vocally, etc).

You can also try playing different voicings of the chords or arpeggios, and solo fills into gaps, but you'll really have to take a backseat on this one and let the focus fall on the acoustic and the vocals.
E chord and A chords and G chords mostly.

That all I ever used to hear in church.
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Quote by Nick Layton
Very good post. I've played in worship bands for years. One thing you can't go wrong with as an electric guitarist is to play the melody. Please don't just strum chords..that's what the acoustic is for.
You can't just play lead the whole time though, that would get very strange and awkward after a while. I'd say do some arpeggios and sustained strums over the acoustic. The acoustic will hold the "rhythm" strumming while you add some flavor on top. Work on different chord voicings and positions. Some guy here said learn your scales, which I agree with, but as I said before, don't just play lead lines the whole time unless they're actually written into the song.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
you can find most of those songs on here actually... granted they're not 100% accurate, but close enough for you to figure the rest out.

the best thing to do would be work on your rhythm playing. you have millions of possibilities if the only guitars are you and an acoustic. it's a great way to learn how to play 1 chord a million different ways too.

they probably dont want anything too flashy, so i'd try to stay away from making every song one long solo. be creative in your rhythm playing and find ways to compliment the acoustic and singing.
Knocking on heavens door?? lol great bob dylan song written when he was into that christian rock thing

just basically do what Eric Cartman did in South park for the band Faith+1

just get some old school pop songs and replace all the nouns with jesus, god, saviour, messiah etc.
I've played lead guitar for worship for 3 years and I have some tips. First, try www.christianguitar.org

Next, the biggest thing is to not play what the acoustic is playing, as mentioned. I imagine you'll be using some distortion, so you can use palm muted power chords and power chords for a lot of the faster songs, adding in lead licks when you feel like it.

For the slower songs, picked arpeggios sound rly nice, or even slow clean lead licks. Even with slow songs theres times when you want to build and feel free to use distortion and power chords here.