My Crate V18 is pretty loud for what I'm using it for and I'm confused on which attenuator I should get. I'm going to get a 50w, but theres different ones

http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm

Whats the difference between the MASS 50w, MiniMASS 50w, MASS Lite 50w, and Power Tap?

Also, how much (good or bad) will an attenuator effect my tone?
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

you should get an attenuator rated at about double your amp's wattage. once you start cranking your [tube] amp, it's output increases, and by the time it's on '11' your v18 will be putting out almost 40watts.

so look at the options on the regular, mini, and lite mass and see which you would like.

an attenuator is going to affect your tone the more you attenuate the amp. keep in mind you don't have to keep your amp fully cranked all the time... that'll just kill the tubes.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Can you afford the Mass III? It's $250, but it's footswitchable and can handle up to 50W.

Ted himself says that 1,5 times the output is safe. I use a 50W Mini Mass (very good!) on my 30W Rocker 30 and it's worked great!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I know I just want to have some nice tube gain with volume at around 5-6, which is loud for me now.

edit: Also Gabel, hows your tone when using the attenuator? Does it feel like its "sucking the tone" at all?
Quote by Le_Bunny

Well it does of course take away some tone, yes. But if you don't have to attenuate too much it's usually pretty good! Smaller amps like that won't require as much attenuation, so it's cool!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

1 final question

Would the 25w suit me better or the 50w?
Quote by Le_Bunny

I don't think the 25W will be enough. Get the 50W, at least. Then it's safe to use with amps up to 30W. A 100W will allow 50W amps and a 150W will allow 100W amps. I'd get 100W if possible, but it's up to you. Get 50W at least.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Ok thanks for the help
Quote by Le_Bunny