I recently had a chance to play a friend of mines SG (unfortunately an amp was not near I just got feel how it played)

I loved how it felt, the playablity of the neck and how light it was especially. (my guitar has a pretty thick neck and heavy body)

I was wondering how the Gibson SG sounds plugged up since I didn't get to hear it. The stores around here you don't like you trying the Gibsons unless you are going to buy them so I can't go try them there either.

So hows the SG sound for rhythm and how does it sound when you solo on it? I am mainly looking for a guitar that is geared more toward soloing but can handle some heavy rhythm since the guitar I have now is basically my rhythm guitar.

So does anyone care to help me out?

*edit*

To make it simpler:

1. How does the SG fair for heavy rhythms?
2. How does the SG fair for solos?
3. How does the SG fair on cleans?

Thanks all
IMO, all around amazing guitar.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
1. Awesome
2. Awesome
3. Awesome

well, not as awesomes on the cleans at all times, but I love SG's a whole bunch.

Just listen to AC/DC :P
I love the SG playability and comfort. But I also like the sound produced

1. Sounds like humbrucker sounds. Can't tell you that in english, but anyway, there are different Gibson Humbruckers sounding different. (Burstbuckers 1, 2, 3, Burstbucker Pro, Classic 57, 490R/498T). The Classic57 and the 498T sound a bit harder than the 490T and Burstbuckers.

2.Listen to ACDC. Anyway I like the sound. A humbrucker sound.

3.I love the clean warm tone.

Edit: you can listen to the differences here:
http://www.occasion-musique.com/samples.htm
Last edited by cool_rom at Sep 21, 2008,
1. How does the SG fair for heavy rhythms?
2. How does the SG fair for solos?
3. How does the SG fair on cleans?

I play a SG Standard, and have been for about 2 years now...

having said that the answer to 1-3 is pretty much awesome. The SG IMO is the most versatile guitar out there, i play everything from blues to metal, and it sounds fantastic.
I really can't imagine anyones problem with it, and If your buying from a friend you'll probably get a decent deal, so I would definitely go for it.
I've seen ACDC being mentioned a bunch as I thought I would lol.

But can the SG handle heavier riffs than ACDC? Not really metal but a pretty good degree heavier?
as has been mentioned, the SG is one of the most versatile guitars around

from my experience though, on the specials and some standard models, the build quality isn't consistent and there can be a lot of problems. Saying that, as long as you play it beforehand and check it's all ok, you'll be fine.

it would probably handle heavier rythym stuff fairly easily but some different pickups to the stock couldn't hurt, maybe some bareknuckle warpigs or duncan distortions. As far as soloing goes, it will sound mint with the right amp and the right settings. As for clean, I couldn't really say, but I'm sure it will be as awesome as the rest.

Some people aren't keen on the kind of jangly tone you get from it, so I'd definatley try one first.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
i use to own a Gibson SG Standard, it can do it all. as far as tone, it fits in between the Les Paul and the Strat, but closer to the Les Paul.
Quote by Midnight Murk
Easily. Going by today's standards, Angus is basically playing on a clean tone (with some slight dirt). I'm a classic rock/blues/blues-rock player, so I'm no master on metal tones, but I have tried it out of curiosity and it does great for high-gain stuff. I play with hardly any gain at all, but that's just me.

Here it is (2006 SG Standard):

*drools*

So i'm guessing everyone here mostly plays SG Standard? I looked around online and didn't see much but those for sale.

Now that I know I prolly want to get an SG from hearing from you guys I need to know what model to get.

Any suggestions?
if your short on cash try to find a decnent Faded one, make sure you like the one your getting though beacause all Gibsons are made diffrently
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Schecter c-1 FR prototype (for sale)
Squier strat

VOTE FOR MY BAND TO PLAY WARPED TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.battleofthebands/darkestbeforedawn
Quote by 19Slash65

that proves nothing

although, he is right, Gibson SGs are really good buys, I prefer them to les pauls actually.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
I've noticed they only have black for the SG Standard that sucks cause i'm real fan of black guitars.

This will be a guitar I have to save up for, so I wanted to make sure it's the one I wanted.

I'll def try to hit up some stores and try some of them out.
I've tried the SG special, with that the Rhythms were good , solos were average and cleans were horrible
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by Midnight Murk
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. What's so bad about having the color of your choice?

That i've seen some other SG's that only come in the cherry red that I might have liked.
Quote by Midnight Murk
You can get SG Specials in black.

hmm, maybe the site didn't have a picture or something cause I didn't see one. O well i'll check again.
Check some videos on YouTube to see for yourself or just listen to some AC/DC.
And for heavy rhythms, listen to Black Sabbath.

Slash also used an SG on the studio recording for My Michelle.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I've seen ACDC being mentioned a bunch as I thought I would lol.

But can the SG handle heavier riffs than ACDC? Not really metal but a pretty good degree heavier?

Listen to Black Sabbath. Tony Iommi uses an SG.

Quote by Guitarfreak777
I've noticed they only have black for the SG Standard that sucks cause i'm real fan of black guitars.

They have the Specials in black too.
Last edited by Rocker_94 at Sep 20, 2008,
Quote by Guitarfreak777
Anyway you could give me a quick comparison to the 2 could you?

The Faded just has a different paint job. Other than that, the two are identical.
Quote by Midnight Murk
Wrong.

I just tried posting a big list I made, but the window froze up. I'm going to re-type it in a minute.

Thanks
Quote by Midnight Murk
Wrong.

I just tried posting a big list I made, but the window froze up. I'm going to re-type it in a minute.

I thought he meant the difference between the Special and the Special Faded.
I know the difference between the Special and Standard. There's a big difference between the two. Hardware, Pickups, Inlays, etc.
Quote by Midnight Murk
Do you see the tan stuff on the side of the fretboard? That's neck binding. The Special and Special Faded (along with your Les Paul Studio) will not have it. I prefer SGs and Les Pauls that have binding.

ahh thank you clearing that up me.

Any advantages to having that?
Quote by Guitarfreak777
ahh thank you clearing that up me.

Any advantages to having that?

Not really. It just looks better.
Thanks for all your guys help. I do have one more question though.

Does the input jack being on the front of guitar annoy/bother any of you?
Quote by 19Slash65
1. Awesome
2. Awesome
3. Awesome

well, not as awesomes on the cleans at all times, but I love SG's a whole bunch.

This. Except the cleans are lacking and I wouldn't call them awesome, but I'd call them good.
Yeah I got a gibson sg special with an angus young signature pickup in the bride and I play blues, jazz, classic rock, modern rock, metal, etc. It's very versatile and all around awesome.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
hey if you still dont know if you want this guitar go to www.gibson.com and search through the forums. theres an article on how ITS BEEN SCIENTIFICLY PROVED THAT THE GIBSON SG IS THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR ON THE PLANET!!!!!!! they PROVED IT!!!!!!
you can snatch one off ebay for around 1 grand easily. the gibson sg standard of course. as for cleans. roll down the volume knob to around 3-4 on neck pickup and your good.
One word: Mastodon.

..atleast i think so.

The guitarist plays an SG i know that much