i'm modding my strat with a SD 59' neck and a SD custom custom in the bridge and need the best wire diagram/explanation i can get. everything i've looked at so far has either been way too confusing or a little bit off.

I'm going to run a master volume, and 2 tones. i haven't decided between a 3-way switch or a 5-way switch, i have both. i was thinking the 5 way since i can split the custom custom but it looked confusing in the diagrams. i'm also going to put in a dpdt killwitch.

many thanks to anyone that can help me out.
Haven't looked hard enough.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2hb_1vol_2tone_5way
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_2t_3w

Then check out how to add a killswitch in the Ultimate Killswitch thread. Search for it. It's also in the Ultiamte Tutorial sticky at the top of the page.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Haven't looked hard enough.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2hb_1vol_2tone_5way
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_2t_3w

Then check out how to add a killswitch in the Ultimate Killswitch thread. Search for it. It's also in the Ultiamte Tutorial sticky at the top of the page.

i may seem like a noob, but i've been lurking around for ideas and insight for a long, long time.

i've seen those schematics, and i appreciate the quick reference for when i start my build next week. my setup is a little different and not sure which wires would have to be moved to what location to account for that. i can't split my neck pickup so i'll have to split just the bridge. i was going to do neck w/ bridge split and bridge split if i decided to go with the 5-way switch. the killswitch i really know how to do, just thought it would be easier to explain how i wanted to do my whole setup.

i suck at circuits like this, i can solder though so i thought i would do it myself instead of dropping more cash for a tech to do it. so far it's a cheap build, since i got the pickups for $30 from a friend and i only had to buy a new pickguard and few extra pots and caps. so far about $70-80, and i hope not anymore since i have everything i need.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Explain how your setup is different. Right now, it does NOT sound any different from either of those diagrams (not schematics. )

lol i don't know, i know the one with the 5-way switch is different. it has it setup to split the neck pickup with the bridge in position 4 but my neck pickup can't split since it is the SD '59 and only has 2 conductors. i guess i just need to know what to change for position 4 on there so i can split the bridge with the neck, basically position 4 needs to be the opposite of what they have.

the 3-way would work, i know this but i don't know if i'll be happy just settling for using the 3-way since having the option for a coil split is there. i guess i could just do that though and not bother questioning anyone. i think i'd rather have the 5-way though and wouldn't be satisfied without being able to split coils since it will be in a strat. i would like to have the single coil sound every once in a while.

sorry diagram, not schematic. was not aware of a difference, i'll be sure to note that.
Well, letting me know your '59 was a single conductor would help. Just ignore the red and white wires....That's the ONLY difference.

You're not looking hard enough. Go on the seymourduncan.com website...They have a setup for 2 humbuckers, 1 volume, two tones, and a coil split. Just forget about the red and white wires on the neck pickup, and you're set.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, letting me know your '59 was a single conductor would help. Just ignore the red and white wires....That's the ONLY difference.

You're not looking hard enough. Go on the seymourduncan.com website...They have a setup for 2 humbuckers, 1 volume, two tones, and a coil split. Just forget about the red and white wires on the neck pickup, and you're set.

ok i appreciate it, that's all i really needed to know.
ok i'm planning on doing the wiring tonight or tomorrow, i think this is how it goes. just want one last check to see if it will work. of course everything will be star grounded. the switch is my main concern. it follows seymour duncan color codes.

Edit forgot: i think i'll have to switch the positions 1 and 3 on the switch to make it work.
i reflected that in the diagram but not on the list of positions in the picture.
Last edited by eurtune at Sep 26, 2008,