I've been playing guitar for a while, and I'm trying to broaden my playing spectrum. I want to learn different scales that I could use for soloing in a song that is kind of heavy/hardcore/somethingcore. I only know the pentatonics major and minor, and the major and minor scales.

I also kinda want to know how to make riffs like this band does. Its so fast and stuff. I don't know how to create a riff, or how to start making a riff like that. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=49603098

(Mainly the opening riff for Bun Guy, and the opening for Bad Dudes.)

Any help is appreciated really, as I'm looking for just about anything.
buy the guitar grimoire.. now
Quote by lopezmetalmunky
Quote by nasadm
Quote by lopezmetalmunky
Super epic win. I love you now
Made siggable

Nice. now I'll be suing you.
Modes would be best for you right now
but i like the Arabian Scale, its just so WEIRD
Learning the modes of the major scale is your next step aswell as getting an understanding of at least some basic theory. My favourite scale is the melodic minor scale and its modes....particularly Lydian Dominant.
Andy
Alright, thanks for all the suggestions. I'm in my high school's jazz band right now, so we're learning a lot of weird chords and I'm learning to read music. I'm also taking lessons, so that helps with reading and scales and some basic basic theory.

Any more suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I've been practicing modes and such, and I'm comfortable going through mixolydian mode and the arpeggio of the dorian, ionian, and mixolydian modes.

What can I do to move from knowing these to making melodies and rhythms with them?

I'm really at a loss right now.
Quote by nasadm
buy the guitar grimoire.. now

No, don't. The Grimoir is 90% redundant information and doesn't cover the theory and application of any of the material.

TS: Do you know the major scale in every key, all over the fretboard? Do you no the theory behind it? Are you familiar with chord construction and diatonic harmony? If the answer to any of these questions is no, you don't need any exotic scales, and you shouldn't be worrying about modes.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
No, don't. The Grimoir is 90% redundant information and doesn't cover the theory and application of any of the material.

TS: Do you know the major scale in every key, all over the fretboard? Do you no the theory behind it? Are you familiar with chord construction and diatonic harmony? If the answer to any of these questions is no, you don't need any exotic scales, and you shouldn't be worrying about modes.

Exactly. Especially for music you will be playing, minor scales (natural and harmonic) are endless.
Quote by Archeo Avis

Well, I think I know the major scale in every key. I know the shape of it. I know to apply it everywhere on any note just like I do for the pentatonic major and minors.

I don't know the theory behind it. I only know how to make major and minor chords, and I think how to make dominant 7 chords. I don't even know what diatonic harmony is.

If I shouldn't be worrying about modes, should I be focusing on those things, or what?
Quote by guitarkid2113
Well, I think I know the major scale in every key. I know the shape of it. I know to apply it everywhere on any note just like I do for the pentatonic major and minors.

I don't know the theory behind it. I only know how to make major and minor chords, and I think how to make dominant 7 chords. I don't even know what diatonic harmony is.

If I shouldn't be worrying about modes, should I be focusing on those things, or what?
Dear God.

oh and...

Yes.

Question: Can you say to yourself, I feel like playing in Eb major and automatically know there's a Bb, Eb, and Ab?... and then just doodle around knowing where the NOTES are, NOT the shapes?

For the other things, you may like this lesson (props to slash_pwns as always): http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html

It's a great lesson. If you have any questions, ask away
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
Dear God.

oh and...

Yes.

Question: Can you say to yourself, I feel like playing in Eb major and automatically know there's a Bb, Eb, and Ab?... and then just doodle around knowing where the NOTES are, NOT the shapes?

For the other things, you may like this lesson (props to slash_pwns as always): http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html

It's a great lesson. If you have any questions, ask away

Yeah, can't say I know that there are notes in a scale... if I looked at the neck, or just thought about it, I could point notes out, but I could just be... basically what you said.

But I'll check that out, and thanks for the input.
Quote by guitarkid2113
I've been playing guitar for a while, and I'm trying to broaden my playing spectrum. I want to learn different scales that I could use for soloing in a song that is kind of heavy/hardcore/somethingcore. I only know the pentatonics major and minor, and the major and minor scales.

I also kinda want to know how to make riffs like this band does. Its so fast and stuff. I don't know how to create a riff, or how to start making a riff like that. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=49603098

(Mainly the opening riff for Bun Guy, and the opening for Bad Dudes.)

Any help is appreciated really, as I'm looking for just about anything.
Oh god, I think that music gave me cancer...

Anyway, buy a distortion pedal and lay on the distortion and thrash some powerchords randomly. If you want to write riffs like bun guy, it sounded like major scales played up and down with really bad technique, so maybe you should break some of your fingers?

You dont want to sound like that. Trust me, NO-ONE (not even you) likes that sound.
You dont want to start on modes. The major scale, with the right phrasing/accidentals/note choice, can achieve any sound. It's simpler, easier to write, easier to resolve and usually sounds alot better.
Dont use exotic scales, they sound like shit and are too unstable to be used in western music.
Quote by demonofthenight
Oh god, I think that music gave me cancer...

Anyway, buy a distortion pedal and lay on the distortion and thrash some powerchords randomly. If you want to write riffs like bun guy, it sounded like major scales played up and down with really bad technique, so maybe you should break some of your fingers?

You dont want to sound like that. Trust me, NO-ONE (not even you) likes that sound.
You dont want to start on modes. The major scale, with the right phrasing/accidentals/note choice, can achieve any sound. It's simpler, easier to write, easier to resolve and usually sounds alot better.
Dont use exotic scales, they sound like shit and are too unstable to be used in western music.

I'm sure I can make my own decisions as to what I want to sound like. I like their music. That band is one of the most played on my iPod and iTunes. Many people in my school appreciate that music. Some scales and music might sound like shit to you, but might be really pleasing to someone else.

Please don't come in here saying what I do and don't want to sound like. Thanks.
I think you should learn riffs from your favourite metal bands and learn why they sound good.

The harmonic Minor is a good scale for creating wierd music, it can be good for metal

The minor scale would be your best bet IMO. I write alot of metal using blues licks, it all depends on what type of metal you like.

EDIT, i just listened to the link you posted.

how could i say this without getting warned

i dont think i can, and i just got unbanned, so nvm
Last edited by Peaceful Rocker at Oct 4, 2008,
I don't really have favorite metal bands. I mainly listen to Fall of Troy, Mars Volta, RHCP, and that local band. What would you recommend? Some songs or something?

I'll look up the harmonic minor as of now...
that grindcore is really just drop tuning and probably using the minor scale with a good amount of distortion.

its important to know the scale doesnt make the genre, the same scale you use to create grindcore could be used to create a soothing mellow song.
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
that grindcore is really just drop tuning and probably using the minor scale with a good amount of distortion.

its important to know the scale doesnt make the genre, the same scale you use to create grindcore could be used to create a soothing mellow song.

I know, but it just seems to sound so different, you know? I guess it's just the way it's played.
Technique, Timing, Style

Im friends with this guy whos a guitarist in a pretty big grindcore band here in austin, he doesnt know any music theory, they all sound the same to me
Last edited by Peaceful Rocker at Oct 4, 2008,
Quote by guitarkid2113
I'm sure I can make my own decisions as to what I want to sound like. I like their music. That band is one of the most played on my iPod and iTunes. Many people in my school appreciate that music. Some scales and music might sound like shit to you, but might be really pleasing to someone else.

Please don't come in here saying what I do and don't want to sound like. Thanks.
Okay, I might have come off as a bit of a dick.

Sure, like whatever bands you like. Keep in mind though that that band sounds like it does because of its tone, more so than its writing style. It's really not hard to write music like that. If you know the band personally, ask the lead guitarist what amp he uses, what pedals he likes and what guitar he plays.

And do you know much about resolution? I say exotic scales are shit because they dont resolve right and its hard to use them both consonantly and dissonantly. It's better if you learnt the major scale inside out and experimented with accidentals than if you looked for exotic scales.