So I'm new to this site, so if it's in the wrong section, please tell me instead of flame me so I will know where it goes next time.

Anyways, my question is for longtime guitarists and those who are also skilled at the instrument. I want to know what you guys think I should know by now and what you think I should work on and stuff like that (lazy question I guess...but I'm stuck lol). So I guess I can start by laying down the facts that I think will matter. I've been playing for roughly a year. I got my first guitar last X-mas as a gift. And due to nature being foul, I didn't actually start playing until mid-January. I mostly just decided I wanted to cover songs, but after about 5 months and learning guitar from a really horrible teacher, I decided I wanted to get serious. I found my ambitions, realized how much I enjoy this instrument and figured out everything I want to accomplish with it. So I got a job, bought my next guitar and good gear (a couple months ago, actually). And fast forward to hear. I can cover songs easily, as I'm sure most guitarists can. Always have trouble with hard solos though. I have trouble picking out songs by ear..but I get better by just recognizing things from stuff I play myself alot. I can't sweep pick very well..but I am working on it and can do basic sweeps in good timing clean. and when I mean basic, I mean really basic. I know basic music theory...not sure HOW basic, but basic. Just stuff like, notes on the freatboard, how to make a major and minor scale, how to use the circle of fifths to make chords, understanding keys...like key of c and stuff like that. And the other stuff like time signatures and note duration and whatnot. All of which I learned on my own since my teacher never taught me anything but how to cover songs. I have good technique, but I can't use it because I dont know enough theory to incorporate it.

Sorry that was so long lol But I figured I better just fill out everything I could remember information wise so I didn't leave you with too little information. But if you have other questions, please feel free to ask so I can help you to help me. And thank you so much for helping
Quote by aetherspear
was there a question hidden deep within that?
Within the first couple sentances of that menacing paragraph, yeah. I know I overtyped that. But I would rather say what I have to in one post than make people guess.
Ok, learn the major scale all over the fretboard, Pentatonics, chord construction, inversions of chords, and arpeggios all over the fretboard. If you've done that and still are stuck, find a better teacher.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by aetherspear
Ok, learn the major scale all over the fretboard, Pentatonics, chord construction, inversions of chords, and arpeggios all over the fretboard. If you've done that and still are stuck, find a better teacher.
Thanks man.

I hope I do learn it...because I am my teacher for now lol. I need to find a teacher x_x
well, you know a moderate amount of theory(about as much as i know after 3 years)
just try and tighten up your skills that you already have and try playing more challenging songs by bands you like, jamming with friends even just for fun is good practice and can help you improve

and find a better teacher
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
well, you know a moderate amount of theory(about as much as i know after 3 years)
just try and tighten up your skills that you already have and try playing more challenging songs by bands you like, jamming with friends even just for fun is good practice and can help you improve

and find a better teacher
Alright, I appreciate the advice.

And yeah, for some reason finding good guitar teachers here must be something.