So, I got my guitar 4 years ago.

2 years ago I got diagnosed with arthritis in my ankle and since then it has spread to nearly every joint in my body, this obviously makes playing guitar hard because I don't have the mobility in my wrist and fingers to be able to play as much as I would like...

I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem and how they worked around it?

No masturbatin jokes thank you
Talk to a doctor?

Seriously, this is one of those things I wouldn't trust a forum of teenagers to "help" with.
My godfather swears eating cherries everyday cured his arthritis, something in em i guess, he gave up guitar because of arthritis but now can play just fine. I recommend you try it.
Would I be right in suggesting copper wrist bangle things ? Or is that a myth ?
Quote by MetalHead73
So I, with a broomstick(Just in case) walk right where they can see me and I said:

"You kids ever taken a broom up the ass?"

The look on their face was priceless, and they ran, and I mean ran like a bat out of hell.
Quote by Scrubs
Would I be right in suggesting copper wrist bangle things ? Or is that a myth ?

My grandma wears those, too. Lol.
O O

___
Arthritis wouldn't spread from your ankle to every joint in your body. It's just not possible unless you're extremely unlucky and you just treated your body THAT poorly.

Arthritis doesn't even spread, it just increases the chance that other joints around that area get it.
Quote by Ze_Metal
Arthritis wouldn't spread from your ankle to every joint in your body. It's just not possible unless you're extremely unlucky and you just treated your body THAT poorly.

Arthritis doesn't even spread, it just increases the chance that other joints around that area get it.

Ohhh crap. The Literal Squad is on patrol tonight.
O O

___
Quote by Ze_Metal

You want to argue with the professors and the team of consultants that I go to see every month in London?
University College Hospital in London, get there and tell him this, I'm sure you will make ****ing millions out of your knowledge, uneducated twit.

Arthritis comes in many forms, you can get symmetrical or asymmetrical arthritis, mine is asymmetrical, it's an autoimmune disease, body starts attacking the good parts for no reason.

I didn't treat my body badly, it's hereditary, my father and my maternal grandmother both have the same type of arthritis.

Your arguement = fail
Well, it probably wouldn't hurt to lay off the fapping a little.

O O

___
Quote by Thepoison92
You want to argue with the professors and the team of consultants that I go to see every month in London?
University College Hospital in London, get there and tell him this, I'm sure you will make ****ing millions out of your knowledge, uneducated twit.

Arthritis comes in many forms, you can get symmetrical or asymmetrical arthritis, mine is asymmetrical, it's an autoimmune disease, body starts attacking the good parts for no reason.

I didn't treat my body badly, it's hereditary, my father and my maternal grandmother both have the same type of arthritis.

Your arguement = fail

Uneducated? Lol. Anyways, if you DID have it in EVERY or "Nearly every" joint in your body you really shouldn't be asking UG. My father has Psoriatic arthritis which is also asymmetrical. In severe cases like yours, they wouldn't hesitate to operate on the most important joints. Since you have it in every joint, and they aren't doing anything about it, you shouldn't have a problem and the only thing you can do is eat healthy, exercise, and drink lots of water.

Also, I wasn't try to come off as an ass, it's just the only way to say what I need to say.
Last edited by Ze_Metal at Sep 20, 2008,
Quote by TheBax
Well, it probably wouldn't hurt to lay off the fapping a little.

I will think about it
Quote by Ze_Metal
Uneducated? Lol. Anyways, if you DID have it in EVERY or "Nearly every" joint in your body you really wouldn't be asking UG. My father has Psoriatic arthritis which is also asymmetrical. In severe cases like yours, they wouldn't hesitate to operate on the most important joints. Since you have it in every joint, and they aren't doing anything about it, you shouldn't have a problem and the only thing you can do is eat healthy, exercise, and drink lots of water.

Also, I wasn't try to come off as an ass, it's just the only way to say what I need to say.

I have psoriatic arthritis too
They've put me on methotrexate tablets for a year that didn't work, they recently switched to subcutaneous methotrexate, still waiting for that to work, takes about 6-12 weeks (has been 8 weeks now)

If that doesn't work then I get put on another drug but it's new and there are loads of possible side affects and they don't want to use it unless they really have to.

They've spoken about operations but at the moment I am still fairly mobile, walking with crutches constantly, but that is better than some people...

I really just wanted to know if there was anything I could do to with my playing to decrease the pain, apart from giving up
Quote by Thepoison92
I have psoriatic arthritis too
They've put me on methotrexate tablets for a year that didn't work, they recently switched to subcutaneous methotrexate, still waiting for that to work, takes about 6-12 weeks (has been 8 weeks now)

If that doesn't work then I get put on another drug but it's new and there are loads of possible side affects and they don't want to use it unless they really have to.

They've spoken about operations but at the moment I am still fairly mobile, walking with crutches constantly, but that is better than some people...

I really just wanted to know if there was anything I could do to with my playing to decrease the pain, apart from giving up

My father is on Etanercept, it works for him. But he also drinks lots of fluids and exercises which helps a lot. I know it's not arthritis but I once had a REALLY bad ankle, it got to the point where I couldn't walk without tremendous pain. But I thought, it really can't get much worse so I exercised a bunch through all the pain. Eventually, it just kept getting better and better. I'm obviously not an expert in Human Anatomy but it worked for me and that's all that matters.

I would suggest doing that with guitar, 10 mins the first month every day, 20 mins the second 30 the third etc etc. That's of course starting from not playing at all.
Quote by Ze_Metal
My father is on Etanercept, it works for him. But he also drinks lots of fluids and exercises which helps a lot. I know it's not arthritis but I once had a REALLY bad ankle, it got to the point where I couldn't walk without tremendous pain. But I thought, it really can't get much worse so I exercised a bunch through all the pain. Eventually, it just kept getting better and better. I'm obviously not an expert in Human Anatomy but it worked for me and that's all that matters.

I would suggest doing that with guitar, 10 mins the first month every day, 20 mins the second 30 the third etc etc. That's of course starting from not playing at all.

Hmm, it's worth a try =]
Thank you
Quote by Thepoison92
Hmm, it's worth a try =]
Thank you

Also, if you can one of the best exercises for that is swimming. No spring mattresses either. Mentally, one of those "Hi, my name is Jim and I'm an _____" support groups will defiantly help a lot.
Quote by Ze_Metal
Also, if you can one of the best exercises for that is swimming. No spring mattresses either. Mentally, one of those "Hi, my name is Jim and I'm an _____" support groups will defiantly help a lot.

No spring mattresses yeah? *looks at the spring pointing out of the mattress* Better get that sorted

Mentally though, I'm pretty much fine with it now, sorted myself out there
Quote by Thepoison92
Mentally though, I'm pretty much fine with it now, sorted myself out there

You're in denile. The first step is admitting you have a problem....
O O

___
ha ha, i can masturbate and u cant!
(wow I am an Ass)

If it hurts that much, the doctor will probobly know more about arthritis than some kid on UG.