cant put up with my frontman any longer, im going tube
but on a budget, playing blues to hard rock to metal, also reccomend distortions that you think would go well to get hard rock & metal

so the main few ive been looking at
Epiphone VJ halfstack + MXR 6 band EQ(hows that compare the the 10 band?)
or
Blackheart little giant halfstack BH5H & BH112
or
Crate v33 head & cratev212b 2x12 cab

what do you guys think?
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
10 band eq is a little useless unless ou really want to fine tune your tone. a lot of people just turn everything up to max and use it as a booster. some people use it to boost mids. however, i strongly recommend an overdrive or a gain booster instead of an eq because of the greater versatility.

i dont like any of those amps. save some money. it's not taht hard at all. every 10 dollar bill or higher you get, save it. unless you really need it. dont splurge on anything like good food, movies, drinks.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
10 band eq is a little useless unless ou really want to fine tune your tone. a lot of people just turn everything up to max and use it as a booster. some people use it to boost mids. however, i strongly recommend an overdrive or a gain booster instead of an eq because of the greater versatility.

i dont like any of those amps. save some money. it's not taht hard at all. every 10 dollar bill or higher you get, save it. unless you really need it. dont splurge on anything like good food, movies, drinks.

i wish i had money to splurge, if it doesnt go to car insurance it goes to gas
Edit:i looked at your profile, you were born like 20 days after me,surely you realize how bad gas is?
Quote by guitardude34875
the v33 + an od of some sort would be the most versatile.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by ShredGod George
i wish i had money to splurge, if it doesnt go to car insurance it goes to gas

haha ok. might i recommend buying yourself a nice USED tube COMBO? please. if you are on a tight budget, try to stay away from nbew stuff. dont buy used stuff at gc and other stores either. maybe pawn shops.. craigslist is a great way to buy stuff really cheap. most of those guys on there are real desperate for money and you can lowball like crazy and migth accept your offer. i bought my amp from craigslist. guy says 600 bucks. got it down to 450 and took it home. new and old amps sound the same. only difference is probably age of tubes and some physical wear. ebay is good but a lot of stuff is reall expensive. like people sell on ebay because prices are higher there.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by UnsignedRecords

is the built in gain not good?
Quote by guitardude34875
cheap tube amps tend not to have good gain or distortions built in. i know nothing of crates, but i can tell you right now that od's are great pedals to have.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by UnsignedRecords

is the built in gain not good?

Edit to apak: anything youd reccomend thats versatile enough to do all the stuff i play well?
Quote by guitardude34875
it's pretty good, but hard rock levels of gain is where it's limit is. if you want a thrashy/80s metal sound (ie. not super massive lowend) an OD pedal would be able to bring it there.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
it's pretty good, but hard rock levels of gain is where it's limit is. if you want a thrashy/80s metal sound (ie. not super massive lowend) an OD pedal would be able to bring it there.

heaviest it'd ever get would be first 3 metallica albums,
what does distortion do to tube amps?, i know overdrive pushes them to natural break up, but does distortion do well?
Quote by guitardude34875
for that, it should hold it's own with a boost.

and i don't think 'too much distortion' would harm an amp. i was just saying, it won't get any heavier when the gain knob is on 10 haha.

oh, you mean a distortion pedal? eh, you'd be better off getting an overdrive pedal to add to the drive on the amp. a (cheaper) distortion pedal will just make your sound... crappier for the most part.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Last edited by UnsignedRecords at Sep 20, 2008,
Quote by UnsignedRecords
for that, it should hold it's own with a boost.

and i don't think 'too much distortion' would harm an amp. i was just saying, it won't get any heavier when the gain knob is on 10 haha.

not harm it, but sound bad
Quote by guitardude34875
^ check my edit. it would definitely sound bad on the gain channel of the amp, but would sound okay through the clean channel.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

The crate is probably the best for you as it is the most versitile and has close to enough distortion for metal. You will need an od though
any suggestions for OD?
because ive been trying to drown the frontman with a deathmetal & hothead(seperately of course)
and both of those fall unser the cheap distortion category i think, i only got the death metal because my frind was selling it dirt cheap
Quote by guitardude34875
a digitech bad monkey is a great value ($50) for what you get.
you could also look into other tubescreamer-style overdrives: ibanez ts-9, ts-808, maxon od-9, od-808, boss blues driver, bbe green screamer, digitech hardwire series... and so on.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

how much will blues od's help?
and whats the difference between the green screamer & the sonic stomp sonic maximizer thing?
edit: isnt the bad monket in the same line as the hot head & death metal?
Quote by guitardude34875
if you mean the blues driver, it's more of a bluesy pedal (obviously), that can be a great boost if modded a little. otherwise it's kinda tinny/trebley.

and the green screamer is a tubescreamer clone, and the sonic maximizer is like a lazy kid's eq pedal.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

NO! The Bad monkey is an analog overdrive where as the others are digital distortion pedals. The Bad Monkey is ver nice for the price.
What do you mean, "how much will blues od help?"
I haven't tried the others so no comment
Quote by mcrfobtai
NO! The Bad monkey is an analog overdrive where as the others are digital distortion pedals. The Bad Monkey is ver nice for the price.
What do you mean, "how much will blues od help?"
I haven't tried the others so no comment

Quote by UnsignedRecords
if you mean the blues driver, it's more of a bluesy pedal (obviously), that can be a great boost if modded a little. otherwise it's kinda tinny/trebley.

and the green screamer is a tubescreamer clone, and the sonic maximizer is like a lazy kid's eq pedal.
arent all of those blues OD pedals?
SRV used a tubescreamer didnt he?

and is the screamin blues not as good as the badmonkey?
Quote by guitardude34875
most overdrive pedals can be used for blues yeah. but what they also can do is boost the preamp of your amp to get more gain out of it.

you can set the pedal to:
level: 10
gain: 0
tone: whatever

and get more gain for early metal because it's boosting your signal.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

do distortion pedals do that to, or just ods?
Quote by guitardude34875
The Bad Monkey is the best cheap pure OD out there, however I may suggest a Boss OS-2 if you want to be able to combine OD and distortion at the same time. The Screamin' Blues isn't as good as the Monkey though.

And no, distortion pedals only change the distortion sound and type.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by ShredGod George
do distortion pedals do that to, or just ods?

in my experience, distortion pedals only add tinnyness and fizziness when the gain is set low and the level high. it's just the voice of the pedal, they're not meant to boost usually.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by shadow__666
The Bad Monkey is the best cheap pure OD out there, however I may suggest a Boss OS-2 if you want to be able to combine OD and distortion at the same time. The Screamin' Blues isn't as good as the Monkey though.

And no, distortion pedals only change the distortion sound and type.

is the badmonkey a tubescreamer clone?

ive only played one, and it was probably under the worst condidtions possible, but it sounded bad
(in a pawn shop with the setup Ibanez iceman>bad monkey. spider III 75 that the guy couldnt turn the effects off on and wouldnt let me touch, the cables were also 20 foot long each)
all it would do was pick up radio signals
Quote by guitardude34875
Quote by ShredGod George
is the badmonkey a tubescreamer clone?

ive only played one, and it was probably under the worst condidtions possible, but it sounded bad
(in a pawn shop with the setup Ibanez iceman>bad monkey. spider III 75 that the guy couldnt turn the effects off on and wouldnt let me touch, the cables were also 20 foot long each)
all it would do was pick up radio signals

No, it is not a TS clone. And yes, you did use it under the worst conditions. But it IS nice. Anyway, overdrives are known for blues but most bands use an overdrive to tighten up their sound or to get more gain. This pedal will help you get those netal tones
well thank you everyone thats contributed a post or answered one of my questions
youve all been very helpful
Quote by guitardude34875