So in my quest of getting a good clean strumming sound without any pedals or anything (I'm a poor college kid), I came up with a setting involving the gain.

The general idea is that I turn the gain up about halfway, turn the pickup volumes down until I don't get distortion anymore, then adjust the master volume. Using this method, I can get a really bright and clear strumming sound, almost like an acoustic guitar.

So I was wondering if you guys get the same results, what you guys think of the sound, and if there are any other suggestions or better techniques for getting good strumming tone.

I use a Yamaha AES620 through a Roland 15 cube. My bass is about a quarter up, mid - a little more than half, and treble - a little higher than mid.
XianXiuHong,

not trying to be smartass or anything, but does the word clean refer to having no effects added to it, or not being distorted?

also, what do you mean by splitting the coils?
i do that with my VK, although i just do it enough to get a good bluesy sound.
O O

___
Quote by MjolnirMan
XianXiuHong,

not trying to be smartass or anything, but does the word clean refer to having no effects added to it, or not being distorted?

also, what do you mean by splitting the coils?

When somebody's talking about a clean tone they generally mean no distortion.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
well it really depends on the amp, if its a one channel amp than thats a good idea, but if its a multiple channel amplifier why not just put it on the clean setting with the volume up, that way when you need gain you can just step on it and there it is
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Quote by LPstudioWRz28
well it really depends on the amp, if its a one channel amp than thats a good idea, but if its a multiple channel amplifier why not just put it on the clean setting with the volume up, that way when you need gain you can just step on it and there it is

But if you're playing a gig, and lets say you're halfway across the stage when you realise you need some overdrive, you're not gonna make it to the footswitch. So you add more volume to the guitar.

It's better, I think.
Cam Sampbell's my hero