im pretty sure im supposed to use a clear coat to finish the fretboard (edit). but im really a n00b when it comes to this kind of stuff. is there any kind of clear coat i should use? or should i use it at all? GOD IM SUCH A N00B WITH THIS KIND OF STUFF!

is there anything i shouldnt use?
Last edited by necroscience13 at Sep 20, 2008,
you shouldnt use drugs.

nope. dont use drugs.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
If you need to clean your frets, a rag with lemon oil should work fine.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
If you need to clean your frets, a rag with lemon oil should work fine.

in all seriousness though, this man is correct.

BUT a lemon juice should only be used very sparingly, and only about 2 or 3 times a year. otherwise, a damp cloth should be fine.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
umm... you're not supposed to finish your frets... they're better for wear the way they are naturally. if you mean your fretboard, then use lemon oil (unless it's maple, in which case you use something else, what it is escapes me right now though).
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
sorry for the confusing i meant fretboard, the scalloped frets get really dirty really quickly. i was thinking about using a clear coat on the fretboard. but ive never done it or anything like it so what should i use to make it like the other frets? so its glossy like the other frets.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Only clear coat or wax if it's maple.

I thought that was only for unfinished maple?
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
My first guitar had a clear coat on the fretboard, and it sucked ass! granted it was a cheap little encore acoustic, but I still wouldn't recommend it. Your better off cleaning it regularly than trying to coat it to make it easier.
You can leave it unfinished, but I'm sure you've seen the older Strats with unfinished or the finish worn off the neck. They look completely filthy, and kinda nasty.

Take some clear coat, spray down the fretboard, you can even spray it over the frets, then scrape it off. That's what did with my scalloped neck, and it's lookin' great.

Oils and stuff are ok, but maple really isn't the best place to use lots of them, they work out better on ebony or rosewood. Lacquer is cheap, and easy, and will keep it nice and clean looking.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free