i've currently been working on my playing/singing at the same time skills. starting out slowly with songs like patience and wish you were here, and eventually would like to be able to get much more advanced. but my question here really is what is a good way to train the voice?

naturally, my voice is ok but nothing great at singing. but i also know that i can have a calm voice that can sound good if i train it. right now the only thing i know to do is to play and sing at the same time, over and over again until it sounds really good to my ears. then record it and have a listen to myself and spot my mistakes/off key vocals.

something i'd really love to do, i don't care to be insanely talented, just be able to sing with a smooth controlled voice. tips? i have a tuner/metronome that can play the tone of different keys i believe.

oh and if this is in the wrong place....help me find where it should go. i've never asked anything like this!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
its more a case of repeating it OVER and OVER until singing it while playing and not making mistakes (forgetting words, off key singing) becomes second nature.
as for training, i dont know about that. but again, over and over sounds like it could work
nick_b is currently obsessed with:
Pokemon
Pinch Harmonics
12/8 timing
7/8 timing
Lamb of God
Rise Against
Regina Spektor
Dream Theater
and many others...
Are you working on your voice, or working on singing while playing? I'm confused now, lol. If you're working on singing and playing, just get down the rhythm of the music, and blend the vocals as if your voice were a melodic bassline, like Children Of Bodom. If you're working on your voice, I don't sing, I play guitar, so soz.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

the thing is with singing and playing, is that you need to pretty much forget what your hands are doing and concentrate much more on your voice (things like tone, key, improv vocals and that)
i've only been singing this year, but now i can play pretty much anything and sing at the same time
its a great asset to have and it puts your musician points up by like a million
it works for the ladies too, trust me =P
Quotes from other UGers in your signatures that talk about how good you are suck donkey schlong.
yea i'm guessing if i keep practicing playing and singing i'll eventually get a strong foundation and it'll become second nature.

what i'm wanting is to sound GOOD while playing and singing, voice wise. i mean, i'm never gonna be a pure vocalist, but if i ever get to where i could sing chorus lines or other parts w/ my worship band that'd be great. i just need to have a good sense of key/tone w/ the voice i guess....i figured a lot of people here might have tips.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
learn how to sing to the true heights of your voice, and keep practicing to sing something the same way when you play... it may not make sense but when i first started off i could sing pretty well without the guitar and it was almost like i had a different voice when playing... but it becomes alot more natural feeling after a while, just practice alot and give it some time
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
This response doesn't answer the question but leads me to another one, sorry. I think it is relative to the brainstorm though...

I have some other, definate weaknesses on guitar but once I learned my chords and scales, I innately was able to play without looking and sing, simultaneously. Can most of you guys do that, once you memorize the chords/scales? Or is that a talent in itself? I'm not saying everyone has a good voice doing it, but i'm wondering if it is a gift or just comes with practice.

As for training the voice. I do have a unique tip for you to try. Go out and buy Rock Band for Xbox or PS2 and try the singing part on hard. It displays a tone bar which you can gauge yourself on to really see how accurate you are. When I tried it, I realized I had a lot to learn. Especially trying to sing Amanda. A LOT to learn if even possible.
Quote by mystical_1
This response doesn't answer the question but leads me to another one, sorry. I think it is relative to the brainstorm though...

I have some other, definate weaknesses on guitar but once I learned my chords and scales, I innately was able to play without looking and sing, simultaneously. Can most of you guys do that, once you memorize the chords/scales? Or is that a talent in itself? I'm not saying everyone has a good voice doing it, but i'm wondering if it is a gift or just comes with practice.

As for training the voice. I do have a unique tip for you to try. Go out and buy Rock Band for Xbox or PS2 and try the singing part on hard. It displays a tone bar which you can gauge yourself on to really see how accurate you are. When I tried it, I realized I had a lot to learn. Especially trying to sing Amanda. A LOT to learn if even possible.

well video games are not gonna solve every problem, yeah it will tell you if your pitch is on or off, but in order to be a good singer you need to learn to use your diaphragm...i used to have a voice coach...and chords are just generally easier to play and sing along to because they are embedded in the memory and you can just do it without thinking after a while, you just know where to put your hands subconciously
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Sep 21, 2008,