Took me a few days for the main riff(s)... still have yet to learn the solo, but that's just because I can't be bothered to do so (although I'm perfectly capable of doing so).
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Haven't really put much time into anything else besides the solo because I hate the sound of me butchering it. The solo took me about 2 hours to get to where I think it sounds good.
Never bothered to learn it.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
I'm still learning the solo The riffs didn't take me very long though, everything fell into place in a few days for me.
Never bothered to learn it, honestly.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I played it the first time through from guitar pro
but i didn't bother learning it off by heart.

so i guess I didn't bother learning it.
I learned it piece by piece starting out, took me probably a week, but i didn't totally focus on it, so that's probably why it took me so long
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
I learned the first riffs in my early years as a guitarist. Now I'm learning the live version of the solo. It's definately more dificult than the studio version solo.
Quote by xXguitard00dXx
How long did it take you to learn stairway to heaven (the whole song including the solo)?

2 hours, no breaks, no teacher. HOW you may ask?

well use your modes/scales. Pentatonic etc. Its all scales mate, especially the solo.
<|ĐÞŞ|>
Dead Puppy Society
=When the going gets tough, the tough get going=
I had to learn it for a music assignment this year, to perform.
It took about an hour.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by xXguitard00dXx
How long did it take you to learn stairway to heaven (the whole song including the solo)?
Yea the solo I have not yet to learn but like 1 day to get the Main riff's down but not memorized there super eazy the song over all is not hard just long
When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power The World Will Know Peace - Jimi Hendrix

Fender '60s Reverse Headstock Strat
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
RP250 DigiTech Effects Pedal
DigiTech Jimi Hendrix Experience Pedal
Didn't. Just couldn't get worked up to. It's not the best rock song, it's not the best Led Zeppelin song, it's not even the best song on IV.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Quote by Free to Guitar
Didn't. Just couldn't get worked up to. It's not the best rock song, it's not the best Led Zeppelin song, it's not even the best song on IV.

yeh +1

Black Dog is pretty catchy, but every guitarist needs to know stairway to heaven, at least a self-respected guitarist
<|ĐÞŞ|>
Dead Puppy Society
=When the going gets tough, the tough get going=
Never tried, its over played, I would rather play a better zeppelin song like heartbreaker or black dog.
Gear
Jackson Dinky DKMGT Transparent Black
Quote by Copilot911
Never tried, its over played, I would rather play a better zeppelin song like heartbreaker or black dog.

Exactly! I learned Black Dog because it's WAY more interesting than Stairway. Oh, and I'm mainly a bassist nowadays anyway, so that played a big part in it.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I learned the first part(up until you slide to the 8th fret on the A string) to be an ass and show off. When I decided to learn it all, it took 3 hours or less, minus the solo. I don't learn solos very often. Not because of lack of skill, but I just find them to be emotionless or soulless most of the time. Most people think the opposite,, oh well.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Pfft... Stairway to Heaven; try learning Going to California instead from IV.

But back on topic, how long it takes you to play a song is subjective on many factors, including how long you've been playing for.
I bothered learning it after I had been playing for about 4 months, and it was my "project song" for about a month and a bit to get it all down-pat.
Last edited by foodfight at Sep 21, 2008,
Pfft... Stairway to Heaven; try learning Going to California instead from IV.

Going to California. Best tune. So much to remember. ack.

I have the sheet music and have problems with my finger positions in transition. Someone mentioned that it is all scales and that is definately true. I've been prepositioning my fingers to be on the relative chords, while playing. I guess that was wrong and my problem. I should reposition them to the relative scales. Which pentatonic scale is the intro, though? If it is the aminor pentatonic, why is the sixth fret, first string in there, used simultaneously with the third string, seventh fret? That's not exactly in the text.

It's probably a stupid question. I can play all the pentatonics, just not up and down the fret board, yet. Perhaps that is the problem.
Quote by Free to Guitar

+a lot

I never tried to learn it , I like the song but I love much more Black Dog from IV, and from Led Zeppelin there are better songs
I was like an inch away from learning it, until I listened to the SRTS version of No Quarter.

That solo is immense.

Ly hard.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
15 minutes for the solo, found amazing tab, intro about a day, never learned the rest

stairway is for listening
I learnt it all minus the solo in about 3 hours i guess. its really not that hard.

but the solo on the other hand, well, i can never make heads nor tails of a tabbed solo, so i do a sort of butchered improv real quick, then do the Am riff.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Between half an hour and an hour.

I learnt the solo real easy cos of the Dave Grohl acoustic cover of it, where he doe the solo with his mouth, so for a while I'd just be doing that for ages, so the solo was perfectly in my head already, put that to the guitar and bam. Easy solo.

Forgotten most of it all now though.
Quote by toeinator
Black Dog is pretty catchy, but every guitarist needs to know stairway to heaven, at least a self-respected guitarist
No.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by Here_is_no_why
Never bothered to learn it.

yep.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The solo took about 10 minutes to get perfect, if you know your scales, you can play it by ear quite easily. (depends on how long you've been playing I suppose) but it isn't really that hard to play well
with one lesson a week i think it took me 5 weeks minus solo
Quote by Fred1000000
Retards are God's way of telling you you could be worse off, AND entertaining you at the same time!