Right now i have a mg15dfx. Not a good amp. I will have around 400-450 Dollars (Usd) to spend and am looking for something with good gain and cleans.

Here are a couple amps i have looked into:

Crate V50
This amp is $200 which would give me enough money for a few pedals. Ive heard the clean is great but the gain is not. Also the reverb isn't very good from what ive heard.

Peavey Valveking112
This amp is $420, and probably around 350-370 used. Ive heard about the stock speaker being very bad and it not being reliable.

Please state your opinions!
Last edited by Lefty Guitarist at Sep 21, 2008,
If you want, get the MG100DFX from marshall.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MSHMG100DFX

I mean its solid state, but its marshall, I've played it at several stores, after about 2 minutes I have to remind myself that there is no tubes in it.

All around, I've heard a few horror stories about the valveking and its parts dying, and how people go to great lengths to change the tubes and the speakers to get a decent sound out of it. That being said, by itself its a nice amp, however imho the 6505 head is way better for more money.

Other things in your price range include the epiphone valve junior small stack, that coupled with some sort of tube distortion pedal would give you some amazing sounds. Although I've never personally tried that, I've heard some very good things about it.

If I were you, I'd stay away from the lure of line 6's modeling. Because eventually you'll start noticing that the spider series is kinda dry sounding. Same (unfortunately) goes for the spider valve series; and even though its outta your price range, its still a little "ugh" for me.

Then there are vox amps with their crazy modeling and other modeling systems including boss's gt10, the line 6 pod series, and digitech modeling.

But for you I'd recommend you just go to a guitar center or something and just look around, shop for sound first and then price second.
^jeez

Why would he do that seriously? So he can have 100 watts of what he has now. That makes no sense.

Lefty, what is the closest city to you? $500 used can get you access to lots of amps depending on where you live. Don't worry about replacing tubes right now. So bedroom level guitar playing only? No jamming or drummers?
If new, I'd recommend a Crate V50. It's probably got enough gain for Metallica, though you may want to look into an OD pedal to assist it.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Well i live in new jersey, south jersey, in the woods. About 10 minutes away there is a guitar center and everything. And maybe further down the road some people to jam with but right now im good.
You're actually joking right?

The V50 is better than the Valveking, and for $200 that's the biggest no-brainer ever ever ever.

Ignore mr. stupid recommending an MG, buy the Crate and buy it today. They've discontinued the V series somewhat stupidly, so once they're gone they're gone, and it's only you who'll be kicking himself.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by sesstreets
If you want, get the MG100DFX from marshall.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MSHMG100DFX

I mean its solid state, but its marshall, I've played it at several stores, after about 2 minutes I have to remind myself that there is no tubes in it.

All around, I've heard a few horror stories about the valveking and its parts dying, and how people go to great lengths to change the tubes and the speakers to get a decent sound out of it. That being said, by itself its a nice amp, however imho the 6505 head is way better for more money.

Other things in your price range include the epiphone valve junior small stack, that coupled with some sort of tube distortion pedal would give you some amazing sounds. Although I've never personally tried that, I've heard some very good things about it.

If I were you, I'd stay away from the lure of line 6's modeling. Because eventually you'll start noticing that the spider series is kinda dry sounding. Same (unfortunately) goes for the spider valve series; and even though its outta your price range, its still a little "ugh" for me.

Then there are vox amps with their crazy modeling and other modeling systems including boss's gt10, the line 6 pod series, and digitech modeling.

But for you I'd recommend you just go to a guitar center or something and just look around, shop for sound first and then price second.

This is hilarious. A guy with an MG recommending an MG to a guy with an MG who doesn't like his MG; and arguing that the Spider is a bad amp. Oh, and he's decrying the reliability of the Valveking while he's at it. Sidesplitting.

I'd take a spider over an MG any day. At least it's more reliable.

Anyway. He's right about the Epi VJ. Try that. And +1 to the V50. You can also look at Blackheart Little Giants or Handsome Devils.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Yeah, as MrCarrot said the Crates are hard to beat at these current prices.

I did however find some stuff in South Jersey worth looking at including a Peavey Classic50.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=amp&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max
The MG post is pretty hilarious.

It is tough to beat the V50, especially now. Nothing on the Clist site that's gonna beat it for the price. If both the VK and the V50 were the same price it would be a tough call, I like them both. But for $200? Please, even an amoeba can figure that one out.

V50 all day long. And that leaves you a couple hundo for an axe... Win
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Ill look into the V50, and test it at guitar center if i get a chance. What pedals would you reccomend to boost the gain a bit? Ive heard the metal muff is a good choice but if you could tell me exactly what i should get it would be great.

Edit: What about the Crate v18 212. It's the same price. What is different about it?
Last edited by Lefty Guitarist at Sep 21, 2008,
i just got my v18 2x12, and i must say, it freakin rocks! if you dont get a v series, youre really missing out!
My Rig

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Honey Burst
Fender MIM Stratocaster Ash Natural
Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby
Dude, you live near me, I live near Woodbury, about 20 minutes from Cherry Hill.
Our craigslist ussually has some cool stuff believe it or not. Theres always combo's on there, you just have to know what you're looking for.

EDIT- and with the right amp, you wont need a pedal. I had the Metal Muff, and I thought it was crap. I stopped buying distortion pedals once I started looking at good amps. The only pedal I'd recommend is an OD if you get a tube amp, give it a little extra boost. The OD would depend on the amp though.