I'm going to be purchasing a cold air intake for my car. At the moment I can afford a cheaper Option racing 70 dollar intake, but if I save up I could get a Injen 240 dollar intake.
My question is, is Option racing a good, reliable brand name to trust. Or Should I save up for the Injen intake and why?

Does brand and price really make a difference in the intake at all?
BTBAM-Colors Sept 18
I'd say get the Injen just because it might perform better, better air flow and filtering, better craftsmanship, warranty, etc. I dont know much anymore, but I would just save up for it, if its the part you want.
Yes it does. Higher quality compnents are used in their production. I recently went from a no name to an Injen intake and i noticed a marked difference.

Edit: What type of car is it? And do you have custom piping for the intake too? The polished steel stuff really makes a difference

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Agile Intrepid 828 Pro Dual
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
Ibanez RG550 (Fernandez Sustainer)
Laney World Series 120-TR
POD X3 Live
Get the Injen. Also get a throttle body spacer. It will decrease any lag you get from putting ur foot down to power being applied

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
POD X3 Live
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/throttle_body_spacer~pop.html
But dont read the shit about the tumbling, cus its more about creating a reserve of air for when you put your foot down, it doesnt have to run through the pipe all the way from the filter. Then again rather than cold air i would get short ram. They have a faster response and the temperature thing isnt really an issue, if you make sure you have some fresh air flowing to the filter it will work just as good as cold air, but with more response in the low range too. And dont buy a kit buy a K&N Filter, and cheap pipe, then put it together yourself, the K&N's are the best you can get but the pipe is just pipe

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
POD X3 Live
Get the Injen.

You don't usually want to **** around with cheap brands when it comes to car parts like that.
i say Of
you say A
i say Revolution
and you say jah

In loving memory of that damn game of poker

Private first class of the bass militia, PM Nutter_101 to join!
Quote by turtlemcdoogle
Get the Injen.

You don't usually want to **** around with cheap brands when it comes to car parts like that.

the only difference between name brands & ripoffs are the filters, pipe is freaking pipe.

a name brand will send a vastly superior filter with their pipe than a ripoff, however a k&n is vastly superior to the filters that come on injen/cobb/aem/etc brands, so a cheap pipe + k&n combo is not only cheaper, but better.
for the OP:

here is your short ram intake http://cgi.ebay.com.au/96-97-98-HONDA-CIVIC-EK-VTi-VTEC-SHORT-RAM-AIR-INTAKE_W0QQitemZ370088324719QQihZ024QQcategoryZ36680QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

here is your k&n filter http://cgi.ebay.com.au/K-N-Pod-AIR-FILTER-3-76mm-Clamp-On-Tapered-Filter_W0QQitemZ350099433060QQihZ022QQcategoryZ36680QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

so, you're looking at about $150 AUD, a hell of a lot less than your $270 of injen

and here is your throttle body spacer http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQHondaQQCivicQQAiraidQQThrottle_Body_SpacerQQ19922000QQA86530572P.html

a throttle body spacer creates a larger pocket of air in your intake plenum - its a reservoir of air above where your throttle is. because this extra air is right there on top of it, it's ready to dump into the chamber as soon as you hit the throttle. in other words, it reduces the throttle lag you'll get from a short ram/cold air intake.
Well I read up a little, and the general consensus seems to be that SRI are better than CAI. But if this is true, then why are SRI so much cheaper?
BTBAM-Colors Sept 18
So yes, general consensus seems to be, Buy a K&N Filter, cheap pipe, and have short ram with a spacer as opposed to CAI. Unless you live in somewhere where heat is a problem the cold air is a waste of time imo. SRI is cheaper because longer pipe for CAI costs more money

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
POD X3 Live
even then, if you get fresh air flowing into your engine bay by doing things like bonnet vents, radiator shrouds and removal of the rubber strip up near your windscreen (to create a vent) then your temps are usually within 5 degrees of outside anyways.

some drag cars even go so far as to remove the headlight, replace it with a trumpet-like cone object to force air in and then plum the intake right up to it, for completely fresh air.
Do I have to buy the spacer for the SRI? Cause thats gonna add another hunskie.
Also, vicious_fishes , I appreciate the help, but I'm kind of looking to buy off of a site all of the things I need(shipping will be cheaper). And I don't like using ebay haha
BTBAM-Colors Sept 18
Quote by THEhardcoreSIHT
Well I read up a little, and the general consensus seems to be that SRI are better than CAI. But if this is true, then why are SRI so much cheaper?

the extra piping that costs them about $10 a foot & $10 of welders labour to construct is soooooooooooo much more expensive that it needs a 200% markup on it
Quote by THEhardcoreSIHT
Do I have to buy the spacer for the SRI? Cause thats gonna add another hunskie.
Also, vicious_fishes , I appreciate the help, but I'm kind of looking to buy off of a site all of the things I need(shipping will be cheaper). And I don't like using ebay haha

the money you save at ebay will be vastly more than the $10 you save with combined shipping.

not to mention no shop actually carries the stuff they have on ebay, and why would they when they can sell the name brand stuff at such ridiculous markup ?
You dont have to buy a spacer, you could add one later if you want. its not necessary but if you want top performance you should get one.

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
POD X3 Live
I'm in canada though, so shipping here from aus is gonna be like 30 each.
I don't suppose you could find those kind of things from a canadian seller?
BTBAM-Colors Sept 18
Quote by blue_bogan
You dont have to buy a spacer, you could add one later if you want. its not necessary but if you want top performance you should get one.

what he said. trust me, throttle lag is freaking annoying.

you know how all the guys with huge turbo's complain about lag because they take so long to spin up ? same thing.
Quote by THEhardcoreSIHT

maybe have a look yourself man ? i've told you what you need, you've just gotta find it.

even if you can't, you're still way in front from the injen
Quote by THEhardcoreSIHT

Well you know what you need now so you could find it for yourself? Just remember Cheap pipe + K&N Filter, spacer now or later

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
POD X3 Live
Yup you got the right idea, bin the crap filter on the kit, use the pipe and chuck a K&N on the end. Goodluck

EDIT: I STRONGLY recommend a spacer. There is nothing worse than putting your foot down and waiting a second for something to happen

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
POD X3 Live
Last edited by blue_bogan at Sep 21, 2008,
CAI = waste of mon-ay
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Quote by HondaCivic
IS it for Short-Ram or Cold Air Intake???
Id say go for the Injen.

I'd say go the K&N. Injen's are nowhere near as good as K&N

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
POD X3 Live