Page 1 of 2
i have been playing my american stratocaster in metal bands for a long time and i always get people saying that i should invest in a guitar better suited for metal and then i say why? i like the tone and there like idk its just not a metal guitar....

i understand that generally a strat isn't good for metal especially because of the single coils but i mean if i have a good tone (i like it at least) then why should it matter rather its metal or not...... i'm not in dethklok lol

anyway i was just interested in knowing of any metal bands (other then iron maiden) that may use stratocasters because i can't find any

because i love you
yngwie malmsteen has some metal sounding music

theres plenty of bands who use strat 'style' guitars, but my guess is thats not what your looking for
A guy in a local band played a strat. They kind of sucked though. The tone sounded really fake and twangy.
Quote by Crazymike100

You disgust me.

Quote by jack_off_joel
bro u are definately gay

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
A backstabbin' bitch who calls himself the 'oracle'?

Quote by 100%guitarmad
I AM GOING TO HAVE TO REFER TO THE FIRST QUOTE IN YOUR SIGNATURE

UG loves me so much. Do you?

MY NAME IS JACOB. CALL ME THAT.
Dave Murray, Adrian Smith and Janick Gers of Iron Maiden do it pretty well. I bet most of those fools were wearing Iron Maiden shirts.. Idiots.
I am the Stig.
Iron Maiden.
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me
Quote by beau05
yngwie malmsteen has some metal sounding music

theres plenty of bands who use strat 'style' guitars, but my guess is thats not what your looking for

nah dude, i'm talking about fender, i know what you mean though. usually they have like humbuckers an all that stuff in them though
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by mullens99
Dave Murray, Adrian Smith and Janick Gers of Iron Maiden do it pretty well. I bet most of those fools were wearing Iron Maiden shirts.. Idiots.

TS asked for bands other than iron maiden, idiot
ok not to be a douce or any thing......
1.EG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. been done in the EG(http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=760668)
so plese feel free to search ffender strat as a metal guitar
if i misinturpereted your question plese inform me
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
Last edited by GArrigan at Sep 21, 2008,
Quote by silenthill737
anyway i was just interested in knowing of any metal bands (other then iron maiden) that may use stratocasters because i can't find any

For all you that can't read and keep saying Iron Maiden.
Quote by mullens99

lol no they weren't wearing the shirt but you could tell they owned a couple
if you ahve emg's it doesnt matter. they sound similar in all guitars. of course, mahogany is warmer and strats are brighter, but theyre about the same. yngwie malmsteen. that's all ican think of. strat styles dont count ig uess huh? if they do, plenty more people use "strats". theyre too twangy for metal. sorry to say. maybe depends on type of metal, but it's pretty much true.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by InvaderTSN
Jake E. Lee when he was in Ozzy's band.

really? i thought he played a les paul or something
a lot of NWOBHM bands used strats. i know Kirk Hammett uses a strat from time to time.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by apak
if you ahve emg's it doesnt matter. they sound similar in all guitars. of course, mahogany is warmer and strats are brighter, but theyre about the same. yngwie malmsteen. that's all ican think of. strat styles dont count ig uess huh? if they do, plenty more people use "strats". theyre too twangy for metal. sorry to say. maybe depends on type of metal, but it's pretty much true.

Hooray EMGs!!

MC name = Bearrorism
soulflys guitarist used the mexican made ones in C standard too cant think of his name
Quote by apak

i don't really consider malmsteen metal, or at least i don't claim him. his newest cd cover was just too much.

idk dude, i think if you work with a guitars tone enough you can find something you like

thats what i did, i play in standard down a half step and play through a marshall jcm 800
Oi! Auld Jimi played a Strat.
Quote by frusciante_man1
cakemonster..you are truly my hero
HONK
Quote by DeSean
HONK!I like your cake.
Quote by olif8
And Cakeface, why didn't you sig my

HONK!

from that other thread?

Quote by LordBishek

I can't stand it any longer.

HONK

Honk if you love cake! HONK!!
You can use any guitar for any genre. Just to make it sound better just throw in an EMG pickup or something suited for metal to just get the sound. For metal, people would just flat out recommend ESP and Ibanez and the like.
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
Quote by silenthill737
really? i thought he played a les paul or something

Are you thinking of Zakk Wylde?

MC name = Bearrorism
Quote by Gargantuan
Are you thinking of Zakk Wylde?

nah dude i know who jake e lee is i HATE zack wylde

i just always figured thats what he played lol
Quote by silenthill737
nah dude i know who jake e lee is i HATE zack wylde

i just always figured thats what he played lol

you probably got him mixed up with Rhoads

but yea Jake E lee plays a strat, he gets a real nice tone out of it too
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by Fuzzbox91
you probably got him mixed up with Rhoads

but yea Jake E lee plays a strat, he gets a real nice tone out of it too

dude seriously i know who he is.... im not doubting he played a strat, i just always figured he played a les paul. not based off a picture or anything. i just assumed lol

and thats the first picture of rhoads i ever saw with a les paul, thats pretty cool.
I actually like the single coil sound more than the buckers for metal... I've also found it much easier to pull off harmonics with them.

Also early Judas Priest used them, Tipton used one in British Steel, but it had 2 Super Distortion humbuckers in it.
Quote by ClimhazzardX
I actually like the single coil sound more than the buckers for metal... I've also found it much easier to pull off harmonics with them.

Also early Judas Priest used them, Tipton used one in British Steel, but it had 2 Super Distortion humbuckers in it.

yeah your right about the pinch harmonics
Iron maiden, btw On the DVD Arsonal of megadeth, marty freidman admits he records on a strat occasionally.
Deep Purple's Ritchie Blackmore has a metal sound in some songs. He pioneered neo-classical metal though.

Randy Rhoads didn't use a strat, but he used a Jackson flying V, which is owned by Fender

Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin used a telecaster for Led Zeppelin I record, which had a very early version of the heavy metal sound

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
Quote by Pauldapro
Deep Purple's Ritchie Blackmore has a metal sound in some songs. He pioneered neo-classical metal though.

Randy Rhoads didn't use a strat, but he used a Jackson flying V, which is owned by Fender

Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin used a telecaster for Led Zeppelin I record, which had a very early version of the heavy metal sound

yeah dude page used a strat for "in the evening" i love him in a manly way

i forgot about ritchie blackmore lol
Page 1 of 2