Alright, I was recently at my local pawn shop when I found THIS PEDAL and decided that I should give it a go and spring for it after playing on it for a moment or two. Well, I usually take a long, long time to make my financial decisions and so far this has turned out to be a good lesson of that, as I was expecting this to take the place of the Ibanez Turbo Tube screamer that I was planning on buying. I'm not sure entirely what I was expecting, but I feel kinda disappointed, as the pedal just doesn't seem to do all that much to change or modify my tone from my amp already.
I would want to play stuff like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Trivium, Dream Theater, and then mess with bluesy sounding stuff and neoclassical on my own creative time, so I figured the pedal would at least add bite to my tone for all of those but it really just seems to add unecesarry amp noise.
Perhaps this is because I haven't, as people have recommended, cranked everything up as high as it can go (that would be excessively loud :0). I am playing a Schecter Omen 7 through a '96 Peavy Bandit 112 Transtube (solid state) and with the two of those I get a really heavy distortion tone easily matchin metallica. Now perhaps it will simply take me getting a new amp, or a new guitar and suddenly this pedal will light up my timbre like a wildfire and it'll sound great, but I just don't like it that much at the stage that I'm at right now.
Can anyone help me figure out whether I should keep it for the future or just return it and get my money back (I mean, they had a lot of other pedals there that I could try out, or maybe I just should really go for the tube screamer)
I hate making these sorts of decisions because money is hard to come by and I'm afraid of screwing up and getting stuck with something I don't like, so any help is great appreciated. Thanks.
borrow somebody elses guitar,play it through another amp.
see if you like it better then.

myself,i would get a tube screamer.
Quote by deadringer13
xjosheex, you have made a simple answer to it all haha

Quote by Pr0gNut
I hope he gets a blood disease and dies alone and screaming.

I mean that in the nicest way possible of course.
Your amp is likely the problem. That pedal does, indeed, add some noise, but it should work as a superb boost, so I'd keep it.
it would sound better in front of a tube amp
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

I have one of those pedals myself, and personally find it fantastic. It is quite a noisy pedal though, and i'm using it with a JCM800. It has a built in treble boost, so that adds to the noise. Bear in mind that its supposed to be run with an already distorted amp to give it a bit more gain. Also, its a 'Preamp Overdrive' and really only works well with an all-valve amp to overdrive the preamp tubes.
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
well, this morning I did just try it with the gain off and the level all the way up and that adds some pretty cool effects to my tone, and it ended up making me like the pedal some more, but if I return it and get my money back, then I have about 100 more dollars that I can put towards getting a new guitar, or a tube amp, or something else like that.
I'm still somewhat lost...
Quote by IROn 5L1nKY
well, this morning I did just try it with the gain off and the level all the way up and that adds some pretty cool effects to my tone, and it ended up making me like the pedal some more, but if I return it and get my money back, then I have about 100 more dollars that I can put towards getting a new guitar, or a tube amp, or something else like that.
I'm still somewhat lost...

Oh lord, return it if you paid $100 for it.

Look man.
Alright, thanks for the advice, especially the link, nightmare.
I'll play on it some more tonight and make my decision tomorrow morning.
I'll probably return it.