I have a Kustom Quad 100DFX, using a Boss Metal Zone pedal. Whenever I'm playing with my band, I have to turn it up loud. Whenever I have the pedal on but I'm not playing, it creates extreme feedback no matter where I stand. Luckily, we haven't played shows yet, so I haven't killed very many people yet.

What can I do to stop or minimize the feedback without killing my tone (it sounds killer when it's not feeding back)?
Last edited by petrucci_owns86 at Sep 21, 2008,
Thanks dude.

Muting the strings makes it worse, surprisingly. And I use the volume knob technique as well, but it'll occasionally squeak like a motherfucker and hurt all our ears before I can turn the volume all the way off. But you think a noise gate will cut the feedback? How much do those run?
Try turning your volume down when you play. As long as you don't drop it under 3 or 4 it shouldn't affect the distortion too much, and it'll cut back on feedback a lot.

EDIT:Also, the problem could be in your pickups. If you find the feedback stops when you switch pickups, then you should probably look at potting/changing the sqeally one out. At least that's what i've been told. What kind of guitar do you play?

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Last edited by Cutlass_253 at Sep 21, 2008,
Quote by Cutlass_253
Try turning your volume down when you play. As long as you don't drop it under 3 or 4 it shouldn't affect the distortion too much, and it'll cut back on feedback a lot.

Still feeds back a lot, but not quite as much.

EDIT: I've got three I use through it. So far, I've played two of them at high volume.

An Ibanez SA260, an Epiphone Les Paul, and an Ibanez Destroyer II. All have stock pickups except the Destroyer, which has a Seymour Duncan in the bridge.
Last edited by petrucci_owns86 at Sep 21, 2008,
do the guitar hero thing where you slide up and down the low e string, while cutting the volume on your guitar.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by petrucci_owns86
Still feeds back a lot, but not quite as much.

EDIT: I've got three I use through it. So far, I've played two of them at high volume.

An Ibanez SA260, an Epiphone Les Paul, and an Ibanez Destroyer II. All have stock pickups except the Destroyer, which has a Seymour Duncan in the bridge.

Do the two you use feedback the same? Cuz then it might be the pedal/amp combination, in which case a noisegate might be your best bet. From what I've heard, cheap pickups with a cover tend to feedback cuz of the metal touching metal, and unpotted pickups feedback. I can't imagine two guitars would produce equal feedback.

Do you play the metal zone through the gain channel on your amp? (I'm just assuming it has a gain channel).

Quote by Zugunruhe

^about me
Quote by Cutlass_253
Do the two you use feedback the same? Cuz then it might be the pedal/amp combination, in which case a noisegate might be your best bet. From what I've heard, cheap pickups with a cover tend to feedback cuz of the metal touching metal, and unpotted pickups feedback. I can't imagine two guitars would produce equal feedback.

Do you play the metal zone through the gain channel on your amp? (I'm just assuming it has a gain channel).

The SA and the Les Paul generally feedback the same amount, yes. I'd assume the Destroyer does too.

No, I use it through the clean. I'm not that crazy
What exactly does a noise gate do?
Well, its supposed to cut back on all the "unpleasant" and unmusical noises that come from your amp. Its primary purpose is to get rid of static and hiss in amps, but you can use it very effectively to get rid of high feedback too.

I don't think it has to do with the guitars at this point, if you find that you need to keep everything as they are, you'll probably want to look at a noise gate, at least as an option.

You could try lowering the gain on the pedal and adjusting the eq on your amp so that you cut through more, but yea, I think you would need at least a decent amount from the pedal to get the gain you're looking for. If you have the gain on the pedal maxed out or something, then that might explain your problem.

Quote by Zugunruhe

^about me
The only gate to get is the ISP decimator. Around $150. Its really the only solution if you want to continue to max the gain at high volume.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Quote by Ubershall404
The only gate to get is the ISP decimator. Around $150. Its really the only solution if you want to continue to max the gain at high volume.

Thank you. That's all I need to know.

Btw, to the dude above Ubershall404, I can't use less gain. It's pretty much against my religion
Quote by Say Ocean
Use less gain.

Yea, its generally a bad Idea to max out the gain on pedals.

In the long run you're probably want to make some changes to your rig if you find that you absolutely need that much gain. You might be better off buying a better pedal (however, I'm not a pedal person, especially when it comes to distortion. I can't guarantee that anything I say about distortion pedals will be accurate).

Quote by Zugunruhe

^about me
Well, anyway I suppose a noise gate is useful thing to have just in case. I have a feeling a better distortion pedal might work as well (but cost as much anyway) but I'd hate to be wrong. I'd tell you to try both, but that's probably not an option.

Quote by Zugunruhe

^about me
Yeah. I got this pedal about 10 months ago, and it's basically top of the line. It's really versatile and sounds awesome, and I don't want to give it up.

So I think I'll go with the noise gate. It'll cost me, but it'll be worth it on people's ears in the long run

Thanks for your guys's help!
Quote by petrucci_owns86
Yeah. I got this pedal about 10 months ago, and it's basically top of the line. It's really versatile and sounds awesome, and I don't want to give it up.

So I think I'll go with the noise gate. It'll cost me, but it'll be worth it on people's ears in the long run

Thanks for your guys's help!

The Metal Zone is far from a top of the line pedal, fair enough if you like it but it's not held in particularly high regard. If you're using it with the gain up full then I'm not surprised you're getting feedback, it's a pretty noisy pedal. A noise gate isn't going to help you here, they cut signal noise but it won't kill that kind of feedback. Just start playing with less gain, there's no way you need that much distortion.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Uh yeah a noise gate, the decimator WILL help you with that annoying feedback.
I got one for my 333xl to stop the exact same problem so to anyone who tells you a noisegate wont help you with feedback caused my huge amounts of gain is wrong.
I found on my amp that 3/4 of the gain and 100% gain are virtually the same, except one major different. 3/4's of the way up it causes like 1/3 of the amount of gain that full causes!

Sounds like you just maxed the gain on the pedal for t3h br00talz metalz... but maybe not.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
I found on my amp that 3/4 of the gain and 100% gain are virtually the same, except one major different. 3/4's of the way up it causes like 1/3 of the amount of gain that full causes!

Sounds like you just maxed the gain on the pedal for t3h br00talz metalz... but maybe not.

Haha yeah, t3h br00talz metalz... I can try less gain. We'll see.

As for a volume pedal, that could really work.
I'll weigh my options and report back