I usually pick with my hand lightly on the bridge. I tried picking with my
hand "floating" and i picked just as fast as I usually do. So, should i still change my picking style?
Which do you believe is more correct?

Personally, I play with my hand floating.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
What the thread starter mentioned doesn't sound like anchoring. It's only anchoring if you are fixed to that spot, with everything else having to move around the fixed spot, which will often limit your freedom of motion. It sounds like you are fine.

When you hear these sweeping statements, like "all anchoring is bad", it's important boil them down to the underlying why. Couple of examples/translations:

Sweeping statement: "All anchoring is bad".
Translation: "Playing in a way that limits your freedom of motion is bad".

Another one: "All playing from the elbow is bad".
Translation: "Playing tense is bad".

If you focus on those translations, and worry less about the sweeping statements, I think you'll be in a better place when it comes to evaluating your technique and deciding what needs to be improved.
Quote by se012101

When you hear these sweeping statements, like "all anchoring is bad", it's important boil them down to the underlying why. Couple of examples/translations:

Sweeping statement: "All anchoring is bad".
Translation: "Playing in a way that limits your freedom of motion is bad".

Another one: "All playing from the elbow is bad".
Translation: "Playing tense is bad".

If you focus on those translations, and worry less about the sweeping statements, I think you'll be in a better place when it comes to evaluating your technique and deciding what needs to be improved.

Well said! I nominate those statements to head up an all-encompassing and stickied thread entitled "The ONE AND ONLY Anchoring Thread (all others will be deleted!)".....Starting.......................NOW!
LOL

Don
FFS, these kinda threads get annoying, just play whatever feels comfortable to YOU.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
^ if that worked, what would be the point to any technical advice anyone could give out?

Hell, if you really think that, perhaps we should change the forums name to "Play whatever feels comfortable!" and disallow thread creation.