So i was wondering. Why is it that people like rock, why do they like mainstream rap?

What are some reasons for liking each genre, what turns you onto them? I remember I used to listen to mainstream rap as a kid all the time.. then I heard a metallica song. I've grown up in the ghetto all my life and was never introduced o rock until I came across master of puppets. From there it was turning back... now im a rock/metal fan. What exactly is it that cause the human mind to suddenly like certain music? Just wondering.. trying to make a school news article out of this as well >_>
I dunno as a Kid I mainly listend to what my parent's listend to. Witch consisted of 90's pop and The Beatles,The Doors, The Who you know a good mix between the 60's and 70's then I dunno how but I like fell in love with Jimi Hendrix lol and now I'm into the 60's and Modern Rock and Blues and Funk. I got into Funk and Blues after listening to Hendrix and that opened so many more artist for me BuddyGuy,BBKing,MuddyWaters,Funkadelic,Robert Johnson and so on
When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power The World Will Know Peace - Jimi Hendrix

Fender '60s Reverse Headstock Strat
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
RP250 DigiTech Effects Pedal
DigiTech Jimi Hendrix Experience Pedal
O and today's Rap is just all about having sex and drug's just listen to the lyric's I have to say the only good Rap is Old School like in the early 90's mid 90's 80's today's is just plain disgusting
When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power The World Will Know Peace - Jimi Hendrix

Epiphone G-310 SG
hip hop saved my life

Quote by Jimi M. Hendrix
O and today's Rap is just all about having sex and drug's just listen to the lyric's I have to say the only good Rap is Old School like in the early 90's mid 90's 80's today's is just plain disgusting
plenty of good rappers today
I guess I like rock because it appeals to both sides of my personality. The noisy, reckless jerk side and the quiet, sensitive introvert side.
A good rock song is powerful and beautiful at the same time.
Schecter Tempest Custom
Squier Jagmaster
Epiphone Les Paul Jr. (Modified)
Crafter D-8

DOD FX50-B > EHX Little Big Muff > Digitech Whammy 4 >
Dunlop Cry Baby > Zoom G3 > Boss DD-7 > Digitech Digiverb

Orange OR-15
Marshall Valvestate VS100
Quote by burrit0
hip hop saved my life

Hip-Hop is so much better then Rap

Epiphone G-310 SG
Quote by burrit0
hip hop saved my life

Well I know there are good rappers out there. A lot of underground rap and all I personally like. Old school stuff is cool too.

But I mean why is it that people like stuff like 50 cent, lil wayne, things like that?
i thinks not missing 3/4ths of your brain makes you like rock/instrment oriented music.
having 1/4th makes you like rap. having 1/8th makes you listen to the Disney channel Bands.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by E_squared
I guess I like rock because it appeals to both sides of my personality. The noisy, reckless jerk side and the quiet, sensitive introvert side.
A good rock song is powerful and beautiful at the same time.

+1
Either the ability to personally relate to the song or the same reason people used to read books , to escape into another person's life ,see world in a new way.
My parents helped me understand older music that I enjoy today. I listened to random bands with the open mind my parents told me to have and I noticed that I love everything besides hip hop and gangsta rap.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
I think the reasons vary from person to person.
As a little girl I grew up listening to country (my dad) and classical (my mom)
but after a while I got bored with what I was used to and went from mainstream radio rock to my eventual interest in almost every genre of music. Although I have more love for avant-garde, industrial and sleazy gothic metal then anything else, I like to branch out into different genres. I'm not sure why I ended up liking what I do, but to a certain extent I think it stems from being around so many musically closed-minded people in school... like everyone listened to rap and sugary pop and I hated it, and so for a long itme I looked for something that was far-set from that style of music.

I think overall it depends on a person's experiences and mindset. :p Good luck with your news article man!
"You'd stick your head in fire if I told you that you could see Hell"- Otis, House of 1000 Corpses
I like your response e squared :].

And also, why is it that people DONT like rock/metal? I know it's all personal preferance and most people here do like it, but try to take the other side, what is it that it doesn't appeal to teens/"ghetto" people these days?
Idk, with me its a mood thing...when im in a:

Thoughtful mood i listen to bands like: Bright Eyes, Frank Miller, etc.
Goofy: Blink-182, Stephen Lynch, etc.
Reckless: Sex Pistols, Ozzy Osbourne, etc.
Chill: Shwayze, Sublime, etc.
Average Normal: Breaking Benjamin, Seether, etc..
Quote by Supafly1824
I like your response e squared :].

And also, why is it that people DONT like rock/metal? I know it's all personal preferance and most people here do like it, but try to take the other side, what is it that it doesn't appeal to teens/"ghetto" people these days?

it's all about environment. if you were brought up your whole life around people who listened to a certain type of music, then you're more likely to like that music as well
it just depends on what people can relate to and how influenced by the TV and Radio and there friends they are and some people are naturally attracted to rap or metal or what not. it also depends on who they want to portray themselves as to.
a lot of variables i have not mentioned to though.
Okay big entry, but read it:

I believe what turns people to a certain kind of music is their personality, or what they grew up in. They say that your personality is determined in the first 3 years of your life, and i believe music follows that rule(I'm not saying you'll become a metalhead at age of 3, but i think that for someone to change their musical tastes at a younger age is easier than some in their late 20s or so). Another factor is that, a person will become attached to a certain sound or style of music because it fullfills a certain something that has been missing. I used to listen to Linkin Park(Old Linkin Park, not emo bullcrap) yet, it still didn't fit you know? Only once i have discovered Metal, i felt as sense of belonging, a kind of genre thats usually looked down from mainstream, which i always hated the mainstream.

Supafly, At what age did you listen to that first metallica ssong?
Quote by samick007
it's all about environment. if you were brought up your whole life around people who listened to a certain type of music, then you're more likely to like that music as well

Yea, I agree. But like with me I've grown up in the ghetto. Nobody showed me rock/metal, I showed myself. I can't believe I used to like mainstream rap.. but youre right, that did come from being around it.

However when I show people the music I listen to, they aren't interested or don't care. (These are the hip hop/rap people), and why is that? They might like a song or two but they don't pursue the band/genre after that. They go right back to listening to 50 cent...

It's hard for me not to be bias <_<, but I jsut wonder what makes people like these things. It all sounds generic with the get money/girls lyrics (yes, there are good rappers as I said, but I'm strictly speakigng mainstream stuff). I was also thinking people can relate to rappers. The struggle, etc. But theres plenty of rock songs with lyrics like rap, but sang in an intelligent way. And also the beats.. theres rock with the complex instruments and all.

Thanks for the responses so far, really helpful
Quote by Supafly1824
Well I know there are good rappers out there. A lot of underground rap and all I personally like. Old school stuff is cool too.

But I mean why is it that people like stuff like 50 cent, lil wayne, things like that?

stuff like that is heavily rooted in gang culture so they all must listen to the same, crappy stuff. or else they won't look like part of the gang.

hell, i dunno, i like metal because:

- heavy aggressive stuff is the most effective way to vent
- the musical complexity of it is fun for musicians
- the general attitude of it is very liberating (BS?)
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I would assume it has a lot to do with their upbringing, and what their parents listen to.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
for me it was honestly by accident i started listening to linkin park at like age 12 realised i only liked their heavier stuff. stumbled upon system of a down at about 13, progressed to rammstien and metallica, went through a 2 month techno phase much to everyones discust i only listened to the really dark sounding stuff, then one day morbid angel and slayer blew my mind when i was browsing youtube. from then its been metal of all kinds mostly with a good mix of blues, funk, classical, rock, some punk here and there ,teeeeeency bits of hardcore every now and then.

but yea for me it was completely incidental as far as metal goes.. the mix was my dad who listens to pretty much everything but extreme metal.
I am me. Live with it.
I have two sides, mainly.

One of them is the whole "hardcore" side with bands consisting of deathcore, noisecore, metalcore, or whatever the hell kind of subgenres are used. Bands like Norma Jean, As I Lay Dying, etc.

The other side is the whole "rock-based" side. Not only rock music in general, but most of it emphasizes on the blues, which I've really gotten into for a while now.
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
Quote by Jimi M. Hendrix

'60s and '70s rock is just about sex and drugs also man. Just in a slightly more veiled form.
I think one of the main reasons I like bluegrass is that it is unplugged. Like no amplication necessary at all (I prefer no drums most of the time) just because it is cool for me to think the band could set up anywhere in the world any time and play you their music in exactly the same way that they could play it in a club or auditorium.
Liking or hating a genre has a lot to do with your attitude towards the music, e. g. hating a band simply because they are popular/mainstream. Many of the bands that I love now, I disliked when I first heard them because I assumed I wouldn't like them. Now I'll give pretty much anything a chance before I decide if I love it or hate it.
I think most of the bands I previously liked were just the best music I knew of at the time. When I was like 9 the only music I knew was what they showed on MTV. Linkin Park and Korn were my favorite bands. I discovered Pink Floyd ~7th grade and realized 99% of the stuff I was listening to was complete shit compared to other stuff that could be out there. I went through a classic rock phase which eventually led to my discovery of metal. Once I got there most of my classic rock tastes died with a few exceptions (Pink Floyd remains my favorite band). From there I found instrumental guitar oriented music and my tastes have been steady for about 3 years. So my time line would be:
all mainstream MTV --> classic rock --> metal --> instrumental rock and the later it is the more I still listen to it. Pink Floyd is different though, I think a lot of their stuff is as close to perfect as music can get.

My final theory: I think people will listen to whatever they can until they find something better. As to what gravitates people towards the music they think is better I'm not sure...
Well I dont know about other people but I for one was influenced by my parents. They listened to alot of classic rock like guns n roses, motley crue, zepplin, poison, etc. Thats what got me to like it cause somehow it just made sense to me like no other music before ever had like you know I connected with it instantly and thought it was cool. Then I discovered metal after that and loved that as well.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Jhachey22
i thinks not missing 3/4ths of your brain makes you like rock/instrment oriented music.
having 1/4th makes you like rap. having 1/8th makes you listen to the Disney channel Bands.

So only smart people think rock is good? That's the stupidest thing I've heard.

It's got nothing to do with how smart they are and if they listen to rap then who fucking cares? It might not be great but it's stupid to say the whoever listens to rap is an idiot.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Quote by iSlash
So only smart people think rock is good? That's the stupidest thing I've heard.

It's got nothing to do with how smart they are and if they listen to rap then who fucking cares? It might not be great but it's stupid to say the whoever listens to rap is an idiot.

Thats true people think metalheads are stupid but most of them that Ive met are some of the smartest, coolest people Ik, not all of them though some definetely fit the stereotype
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Jimi M. Hendrix
Hip-Hop is so much better then Rap

You have no idea how retarded you sound.

Hip hop is an instrumental style.

Rap is a type of vocals.

Quote by Jhachey22

Well, one thing's for sure: No matter what you like, you have 0/1.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
My dad got me into alot of classic rock and my friends like alot of metal, so that's why I like so much different music. My first guitar teacher was a metal head and the second one was an acoustic and classic rock fan. Can't tell where my influences came from.