Hi,

I've been playing guitar on and off for about a year and I thought I would try and learn it correctly so I purchased the Hal Leonard Guitar Basics book so I can start going through the lessons.

I've always had trouble with picking strings and playing chords where I receive left pain and discomfort when playing the guitar.

I've uploaded a photo of the way my left hand is usually positioned when playing the guitar and I seem to:

-Apply a lot of pressure to press the strings
-Receive discomfort and pain in the red areas in the photos.

Any ideas on how I can resolve this issue?

Regards,

SG
Attachments:
guitarpain.JPG
You need to relax you hand, man. From those pictures it looks like you're trying to snap the neck in half. Don't apply too much pressure. Use just enough so that the strings touch the fretwire.
your putting too much pressure. loosen up your grip and relax your wrist. it looks like your trying to break your thumb in those pics
Quote by djc1993
your putting too much pressure. loosen up your grip and relax your wrist. it looks like your trying to break your thumb in those pics

Much agreed.

Loosen your grip.
And apply a light amount of pressure onto just the strings.
Just enough so the strings meet the frets.
Move your whole wrist forward a bit, so that your knuckles are right under the fretboard, and not behind it.
Yeah dude, definetly relax ur hand more, press firmly but dont tighten up. Also it might be the tendons in ur hand arent used to making those unusual grips and motions, i had that problem when i first started and it eventually went away the more i played guitar.
Quote by MetalliPuptmstr
Yeah dude, definetly relax ur hand more, press firmly but dont tighten up. Also it might be the tendons in ur hand arent used to making those unusual grips and motions, i had that problem when i first started and it eventually went away the more i played guitar.

i agree with you there, and i had the same problem when i started playing, but i don't any more.