Page 1 of 2
I'm starting to get really pissed at people who use Wikipedia as a reliable source both on the internet (a la Pit) and in real life. Countless times, I have seen students in my class have "www.wikipedia.com" thrown in as one of their sources and countless, countless times in the Pit, I have seen people use Wikipedia as their source for everything from peanut butter to Travis Barker. I dunno, its just a pet peeve of mine.

What are your opinions on Wikipedia?

Also, I'm not hating the fact that it can be useful for, say, finding what/how many albums a band has composed, but it really shouldn't be used to illustrate your conspiracy theory on how John McCain is a satanist.
Last edited by Shortay at Sep 21, 2008,
Well, for the most part, it's relatively accurate. The facts that have citations anyway. I'd never cite Wiki as a source, though.
But Wikipeida is awesome! You can look up just about everything I love it some people might edit it to make it a lie but hey people eventually change it
When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power The World Will Know Peace - Jimi Hendrix

Fender '60s Reverse Headstock Strat
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
RP250 DigiTech Effects Pedal
DigiTech Jimi Hendrix Experience Pedal
I love Wikipedia. Good, quick reference for anything.

I wouldn't use it in a paper, of course.
fck.
its easy and people are getting lazy these days and are gullable on a website you can edit your self. i know they check it but still
Its a handy source of information. If I use it I usually look for other sources that back up the information I read on there.
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
I always reference Wkipedia. It's a great source to use if you're doing an assignment that you don't care about. Why bother going to the trouble of looking up accurate info on something you couldn't care less about when Wikipedia is right there with more info then you need?
Wikipedia is spectacularly accurate actually. Very few inaccuracies, most of which are dealt with immediately, by the staff who weed out garbage. All the articles are cited, and if they aren't you're alerted of it right away by a big effing blurb at the top of the page. So basically, Wikipedia is a reliable source 95% of the time and you're just being a whiner.
If I ever use it as a source, I check other sources as well. I wouldn't have to if random dildos didn't edit everything all the time.
ಥ_ಥ
It's useful when it cites its sources, but I would never use it for a paper or anything.
Wikipedia is just about as accurate as any other well reputed information resource. I've never gotten pissed at anyone for frequently using Webster's dictionary, just like I've never gotten mad at anyone for using wikipedia.
I never use Wikipedia as a source.

However I DO use the Sources cited on the pages at the bottom.
Quote by X Alkaline 3
I dared a Jew to throw rocks at Hitler when he was a young boy..

Never knew he'd take it to heart like that.

iScrobbler

Psalms 62:8
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
As a scientist, I use it a lot for my physics revision, as equational discrepancies are quickly core.... **** it, I'm too high to speak, so I'm just going to make guttural vowel noices:

aaeeeieeeeeeuuoooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh? eeeeueuuuuuuaahhh!
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Yakult

aaeeeieeeeeeuuoooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh? eeeeueuuuuuuaahhh!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIAAAA!!!

uuuah?
ಥ_ಥ
Quote by arsonite

uuuah?

I agree 100% with this statement.
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
1. There are featured and popular articles which are monitored by mods to make sure no one screws them up when they edit it.

2. Obscure articles are unreliable.

3. You're warned if you are viewing an article that is a stub, under construction, has its sources questioned, ect.
Last edited by tonedeafidiot at Sep 21, 2008,
Wikipedia is a handy resource. It's accurate a majority of the time, and the stuff that isn't true is obvious. As for citing it in papers . . . hell no. I would however, use their cited sources in my paper.
Quote by arsonite

uuuah?

oooo! Eeeeguuuuuggggguuuuooouuuuuu!!!11

Quote by Hellish_Wolf

Eeeoroooroeoooug?

Oooouuughhhhheeeeeeee!
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Shortay
"www.wikipedia.com"

do you mean "en.wikipedia.org"?

Yeah, we aren't allowed to use it as a source for essays and stuff at my school any more
Quote by Lolcheez324
1 time i was home alone and i said i want a cheeseburger and then mah dad got home and he had a bag of potatoes
Quote by Shortay
I'm starting to get really pissed at people who use Wikipedia as a reliable source both on the internet (a la Pit) and in real life. Countless times, I have seen students in my class have "www.wikipedia.com" thrown in as one of their sources and countless, countless times in the Pit, I have seen people use Wikipedia as their source for everything from peanut butter to Travis Barker. I dunno, its just a pet peeve of mine.

What are your opinions on Wikipedia?

Also, I'm not hating the fact that it can be useful for, say, finding what/how many albums a band has composed, but it really shouldn't be used to illustrate your conspiracy theory on how John McCain is a satanist.

He isn't a Satanist. He's a member of the reptillian overlord blood line.

n00b.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
I'm sorry, but what do you know about critical and analytical reading? You don't use wiki as the be all end all of knowledge, but you do use it to find basic information to build on. You don't have to use a single source to base your knowledge on...you can use it and proceed to learn more by using that information to find more which will ultimately lead you to learning more about the topic at hand (which will help you deem what you think is the actual truth).

Yes, some people read one thing and accept it as truth, but you cannot accuse wiki of being more harmful to these feeble minds than any other source. It's up to us to keep digging.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
i think wikipedia's great. i mean sure it's not always accurate but nothing is, books can be outdated etc. and wikipedia's free~if you want to buy a set of encyclopedias with 7 easy payments that you'll never gonna read go ahead.

and it's wikipedia.org
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by Hellish_Wolf

AEEEEEEEEEggggggg

Quote by Yakult
oooo! Eeeeguuuuuggggguuuuooouuuuuu!!!11

OOOOOO aaaaayyyaayaaa
ಥ_ಥ
Ahhhha that's funny. It's just like any other source on the internet.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Quote by Abunai X
I always reference Wkipedia. It's a great source to use if you're doing an assignment that you don't care about. Why bother going to the trouble of looking up accurate info on something you couldn't care less about when Wikipedia is right there with more info then you need?

We actually get zero for our bibliography if we reference Wikipedia in assignments
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG Special Customshop
Jackson JS30RR

Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss Metal Zone
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Ibanez Lo Fi
Behringer Tuner

Marshall AVT100X

Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Quote by Joshrocker48
I Use a purple pick.

+1
Quote by dunda130
We actually get zero for our bibliography if we reference Wikipedia in assignments

When I was in school, if I had read something but I forgot the source, I'd just make books and authors up out of nowhere. I never got busted for it. Like they're really going to check my sources..
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
TS, read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wisdom_of_Crowds

In theory, this should work. But in practicality, Wikipedia is still prone to misinformation.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Wiki defintely wouldnt be one of my sources because anyone can change it so say someone who knows nothing about XBOX 360 can add that it has a blu ray drive
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Wiki defintely wouldnt be one of my sources because anyone can change it so say someone who knows nothing about XBOX 360 can add that it has a blu ray drive

It says that microsoft has thought about adding one. Come to think of it, I haven't heard about the blu ray drive for the 360 in forever. It's probably not going to happen.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
When I was in school, if I had read something but I forgot the source, I'd just make books and authors up out of nowhere. I never got busted for it. Like they're really going to check my sources..

Doesn't everybody do that?
Change the title, I thought this was going to be another religious rant.
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
Quote by Jack Off Jill

That's the risk of Wikipedia.

Sure, people cite sources, but how often do we actually check those sources? How often do we make sure that they cited those sources correctly and offered an unbiased interpretation?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
OHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!1111111111

What's worse, people who just slate Wikipedia all the time or people who use it always as fact?

****ing extremists!
Quote by Xiaoxi
That's the risk of Wikipedia.

Sure, people cite sources, but how often do we actually check those sources? How often do we make sure that they cited those sources correctly and offered an unbiased interpretation?

That's what wikinerds are for, and how this article was made.
Quote by tonedeafidiot

Alter the Slayer page in a negative way and the fanboys are gonna track down your IP, find out where you live, and firebomb it.
Quote by tonedeafidiot

Wow. I stand corrected.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Recently They done a check of Wikipedia. They found 8 errors that where wrong. Out of the whole website, the whole! 4 where minor and 4 where major mistakes. So wikipedia is a reliable source.
Page 1 of 2