Hey all, I went to register a few minutes ago and found out I already was so I'm more noob than my joined date might suggest.

Okay, now that's outta the way, here goes the meat of the post sandwich.

So I'm 20 and just picking up guitar, I only started listening to music a few years ago (well i used to listen to rap before that but can't stand it these days) and when I got my grubby hands on a copy of GH2 for my 360 I started wanting to learn guitar. So why wait so long? Well I just kept procrastinating, anyways around six months ago my mate teaches me the rhythm to some nirvana song real simple stuff. He never got around to going any further and I just kept thinking someday I'll get a guitar and start learning, anyways skip forwards from this ramble I guess.

Yada yada yada... And so I bought a guitar a few days ago, I can play the intro/chorus to hearthbreaker and the intro to Europa (albeit at a slower speed for both) and thought why don't I go online and get some lessons, so I've printed a few that look promising but wondered if I should ask for a bit of help here. My problems are I can't get the hang of chords, I seem to always twang at least one of the strings, I mean I really gotta push on them quite firmly to get it right and end up with deep ridges in my fingertips. I was wondering if I should get my guitar restrung for lefty as I have a bit of nerve damage in my left hand and also if I should get some teaching in person as opposed to through online instructions?

Also could someone direct me towards some in-depth strumming and strengthening tips/tricks/trainers please
Look online for direction. If you want you can buy steve krenz learn and master guitar (google it). It helps you get started.
i see your problem. my advice is that you could instead of geting lessons just try to learn parts of songs like a little easy riff until you are eventualy are good enough to play whole songs. it's a cheap and easy way of learning guitar that lets you go at your own pace.

also about your trouble with chords, they twang because you just dont have enough finger strenght to pull them off yet. just keep practicing you'll get it eventually.

and about you going lefty on your guitar, i wouldnt recomend it unless your ampidextes, otherwise i say just work through the nerve damage. i have a friend who has the same problem with his nerves, he just quit guitar and started playing drums, and he's quite good now. you could always just do that.
Practice first position chords, get the twang out of them. . . .then learn the major scale in all of it's positions. . . . that is beginning lead guitar lessons. . . . that and pentatonic scales.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
practice, everyone sucks at chords at first. but yeah you could get your guitar restrung, might be a bit uncomfortable though.. as for the online lessons, thats how i did. on here over 6 years ago and i'm pretty spiffy. the internet has everything you need, you just need patience.
Yup, just practice - slow everything down to teach your hands what it is you want them to do. Focus on fretting the strings cleanly and strumming accurately....you'll gradually get better at it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Revim
when I got my grubby hands on a copy of GH2 for my 360 I started wanting to learn guitar.

My problems are I can't get the hang of chords, I seem to always twang at least one of the strings, I mean I really gotta push on them quite firmly to get it right and end up with deep ridges in my fingertips. I was wondering if I should get my guitar restrung for lefty as I have a bit of nerve damage in my left hand and also if I should get some teaching in person as opposed to through online instructions?

Another guitar hero convert, welcome!

As for your problem with chords, don't worry, you aren't the only one that ran into this sort of issue. I had the same kind of problem myself. I am not sure what you mean by nerve damage in your left hand, so I'll let someone else answer that. However it hurt my fingers too at the beginning (leaving deep ridges), and I had a lot of issues with open chords like Gmaj, Cmaj, Amaj at first. You should seen the marks on my index finger when I was practicing barre chords. Nowadays it's not so bad anymore (a few months later) and it doesn't really hurt my fingers. I think it just takes a while for your left hand to get accustomed to it.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Check out www.justinguitar.com for free web lessons. A teacher would be a good idea starting out if you can afford one. Everyone struggles with chords, practice will make it better. A good tip is to rock your hand back and forth slowly while finging the chord until the "twangyness" goes away. You'll soon discover the sweet spot of hand position. Good luck.
Yeah, practice is the order of the day.

The great thing about chords is that they troubleshoot themselves. Try arpeggiating (playing each string individually instead of strumming) the chords. When you find the one that "twangs", examine your finger positioning and try to figure out how to get the note ringing clean. Practice slow at first, get your fingers used to the ackward positioning chords require. You'll get the hang of it, just stick with it!
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Yeah, twangs leave with practice. You learn to positing your fingers closer to the frets and press harder on the strings. When I first started, I started with an acoustic (Well still am) and the strings well... hurt. You feel like you have to push down SO hard to get it to sound right. A month later, it seems like nothing at all. Its just like "Yeah, I'm just pressing on the string" but it doesn't make that sound. So its something that comes with practice. Just practice doing it right, slowly, and you will do it faster and faster.
Guitars Owned: Yamaha F335