I've heard alot about the variation in how good/bad MIM strats are and the aspect of luck in getting a good one. I was wondering what exactly is wrong with the "bad" ones, is it just the pickups? If so could this be rectified by installing some Hot/Vintage noiseless pickups? No hassles about how much role the amp plays in the sound because i understand this. In the long run i will probably be getting both(a good amp and the noiseless pickups) anyway.
Last edited by yoshimi123 at Sep 21, 2008,
Quote by yoshimi123
I've heard alot about the variation in how good/bad MIM strats are and the aspect of luck in getting a good one. I was wondering what exactly is wrong with the "bad" ones, is it just the pickups? If so could this be rectified by installing some Hot/Vintage noiseless pickups? No hassles about how much role the amp plays in the sound because i understand this. In the long run i will probably be getting both(a good amp and the noiseless pickups) anyway.

I got a Seymour Duncan Hotrail bridge and a Lil Screamin Demon on my neck...

Im guessing its just what you want to play, for me bridge is the metal and rock whilst the neck is all the other stuff i play..
So this issue of the sometimes variable sound quality of stock MIM Strats can be completely rectified (for example i think i got a less than great one after playing a few other MIM's), by upgrading the pickups?
Bump/ So can anyone enlighten me on what exactly are the possibly differing qualities between the seemingly identical stock models? Is it just the pickups? Or are there other factors?
Oh yeah i understand that, but i've heard theres actually sound variations in IDENTICAL models, just by pure luck it seems, and i was wondering what exactly these variations consist of.

Basically in essence i want to know if i feel i've picked up a less than great one (didn't play it before buying, it was a present), if all its "less than great-ness" will be resolved with a SD pickup change (which i am going to do anyways, so its a pretty hypothetical question).