OK so my parents replaced my old Schecter which my sister wrecked with an identical model, and when I got home I saw it. While I'm pretty happy cause I loved the look and feel of the guitar, the stock pickups bothered me cause I couldn't get the sharp, harsh tone I wanted (I play mostly grunge/punk/other heavy alternative rock) and the clean broke up real early. I'd planned a pickup change, and decided to go ahead with it on this one.

While looking for possible pickups, I stumbled across Guitar Fetish, where they had some great prices and a couple of pickups (http://store.guitarfetish.com/visphuclfest.html and http://store.guitarfetish.com/crpafhiouhuz.html in particular) that interested me, particularly for the price as I'll actually be able to afford to get some help installing them after I butchered my Ibanez trying to change the pickups.

My only question is; are these pickups so cheap because they're turds, or are they good?

Oh, and please don't tell me to get a new amp. I'm getting one for a Hindu holiday/Christmas present later this year (Fender Pro Junior with an EQ pedal).
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
with guitar you get what you pay for, id reccomend some Seymour Duncans (JB/Jazz set)
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
I'd like to get Seymour Duncans, only they cost a sh*tload here (one JB costs $200 NZ dollars) and DiMarzio's Humbucker From Hell (another one I thought about for the neck) is $170.

And I just left my job at my parents urging about a month ago as they want me to focus on my end of year exams, and I have uni next year which I'm saving for so I'm not exactly flush for cash.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by mrbungle50221
with guitar you get what you pay for, id reccomend some Seymour Duncans (JB/Jazz set)

That's not even true in alot of cases. In fact I've heard great things about guitar fetish pickups, and a guy at a very good guitar shop here told me that seymour duncans are just so-so, it's the name that makes alot of people think theyre so good.
Make cupcakes, not war

Member #27 of the Electroharmonix users guild
Quote by Random_Bassist
That's not even true in alot of cases. In fact I've heard great things about guitar fetish pickups, and a guy at a very good guitar shop here told me that seymour duncans are just so-so, it's the name that makes alot of people think theyre so good.

it is whats better a chep squire or a mid priced LTD? also SD are good pups for the most part. and to ts, you ever thought at looking on the internet for pups? alot cheaper there
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
I've been looking all over the internet for pickups. Only thing is for Seymour Duncans or DiMarzio's I have to buy them here cause they don't ship, and like I said they cost the proverbial arm and leg.

I wouldn't necessarily say that something's better just cause it's more expensive. When I was looking for my guitar I chose it even though I could have gotten a low end Gibson Les Paul for $1100, or even a more expensive Schecter. I chose it cause I liked the feel of the Tempest the best.
Quote by Cathbard
To TS if u find out any more info on the pickups cuz im in the same boat as you, as im wondering how good are pickups made by them.
Gear:
Ibanez Artcore AM73
Carlo-Robelli Acoustic (first guitar)
Peavey VaveKing 212
BOSS GE-7
BOSS Super Chorus CH-1
I've heard from a few people that they're pretty good. I was gonna order a Vintage '59 neck pickup and a Fat PAT bridge pickup for my LP.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
I've got a few. Don't like the Dream 180 too much, but I'm a huge fan of the Vintage '59 and Mean 90. I actually replaced a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat with the Mean 90.
I ordered a set of 60-70's Vintage Strat Overwould pickups for my strat. Check out reviews on harmony central. Some got good reviews, some don't
I'd really like to hear the story about how your sister wrecked your guitar.

Maybe try priceUSA.com.au if you want to buy something from the US. I'm not sure if they ship to NZ though but I can't see why they wouldn't.

...and go the Warriors.