Right i jus snapped the G on my bass and i wanna play any ideas
If you are one of the %10 of teen who doesn't follow Rap
and you follow PUNK, METAL AND HEAVY ROCK COPY AND PASTE THIS TOO YOUR SIGNATURE
anything by ash, mark hamilton doesnt actually have a G on any of his basses, when he was learning he kept popping it trying to be flea and couldnt afford to buy a new one all the time it kept happening, so he just learnt without one

ash have some great basslines
Anything by Lamb of God. JC had a bass custom made to have 3 strings. Just so he couldn't use the G.

And LoG is awrsome.
You could always just figure out the fretboard past the fifth fret and learn everything that was on the G string on your D string (as Martin suggested)
1st ever MOD challenge winner
Rush Club Member #5
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Member #4 of The Geddy Lee Fan Club
Member #21 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join
Salute Your Solution-Raconteurs
Muscle Museum by Muse should be fine, only a few notes on G
Evil-Interpol

that should do ya for now.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Time is running out/Supermassive Black Hole - Muse
Killing in the Name - Rage against the machine

Bit vague question in OP tbh, how long you been playing bass for? Then we can help out more.
Cannibal Corpse tbh
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
Quote by Wratheh
Time is running out/Supermassive Black Hole - Muse
Killing in the Name - Rage against the machine

Bit vague question in OP tbh, how long you been playing bass for? Then we can help out more.

And are you silly Killing uses G in the chorus
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
Alot of the heavy Opeth songs are based around the E + A strings, like Circle of the Tyrants (DON'T YOU DARE GO NEAR THE SOLO )
When you think about it, having only 3 strings really isn't that limiting. Realistically, you only lose the 5 highest notes on the fretboard.
Fall Out Boy.

Nah, joking.

Just convert the notes from G to D?
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.
If a song's highest note is at or below the 9th fret of the G string and you have a 24 fret bass, you can play the entire song on the E string alone. I'm gonna say that very, very few strings USE the G string. It's all a point of reference. This is why tabs are stupid.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
If a song's highest note is at or below the 9th fret of the G string and you have a 24 fret bass, you can play the entire song on the E string alone. I'm gonna say that very, very few strings USE the G string. It's all a point of reference. This is why tabs are stupid.

he is right. although it gets slightly more confusing if you have a fender. i really dont get why they only put 20 frets on them???

x

EDIT: oh and on topic.... the g string actually only gives you 5 extra notes. All the others can be played on different strings, it just means you will have to shift around a bit.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
^That's right. My Warwick tuned to B only has one less note than a 5-string Fender. Freaky.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
You have a few choices:

1. Take the hit, and go buy a new set of bass strings.

2. Buy a backup bass, so that when you do break a string, you can keep on playing the rest of the gig with a bass that has 4 strings.

3. Learn a bunch of early Police tunes. Most Police basslines are minimal, like "Walking On The Moon"--are very simple yet quite elegant. Of course, the audience may think you are a loser if you don't sing as well. And most of their basslines (thanks to Sting) are playable on just 3 strings.

4. Pick up any Terem Quartet CD--they are from Russia. The bass player plays a bass balalaika, which has only 3 strings. But he plays it with incredible agility and finesse. The instrument is a sight to behold--huge triangular acoustic body and 3 strings.

5. Take a hint from the violoncello/mandolin family of instruments and tune your bass strings in fifths (E B F# instead of fourths E A D G). It will give you a wider range of notes and a different perspective on the spatial aspect of notes on the fingerboard.

6. Buy more durable strings. I recommend the Dean Markley Crygenically Activated Blue Steel strings. They last about four times as long, are quite bright for better high harmonics response, and they dull to a wonderful tone as it ages. They are about twice the cost of normal strings, but since they last 4x longer, they are actually more cost effective in the long run.

Cheers!
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
Well, the fact remains that keeping that G string off is bad for your bass. I hope you like incorrect bow and neck warping.

..."Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.