I was thinking about having a fully instrumental band. I didn't know if it would be easier/harder to find gigs by doing this and if it is much harder to get noticed as a guitarist on my own really rather than having an actual band with a singer?
i think it's harder to 'make it' as an instrumental band then a 'normal' band. i think you'll really have to have some skill or be able to write beautiful music
^^what he said. It probably would be harder to get recognized, remember, Kirk Hammett is more of a household name than Joe Satriani
I noticed you're from England (as am I) and so to answer your first question, yes it probably will be harder for you to get gigs etc as an instrumental band, as the scene here isn't exactly overrun with instrumental acts. Having said that, because there isn't many instrumental bands around you will have your own niche market, pretty much. As for gettin noticed as a guitarist it simply depends on who you want to notice you. There are tonnes of bands with mediocre/average guitarists and most people who listen to music notice them, but decent musicians will always be noticed by other musicians regardless of vocals. Most famous jazz players rarely play with bands that have a vocalist, and they are usually remembered for their playing in an instrumental group.

A good example of a susccessful instrumental band would be Behold...The Arctopus
Quote by KennghisTron
I noticed you're from England (as am I) and so to answer your first question, yes it probably will be harder for you to get gigs etc as an instrumental band, as the scene here isn't exactly overrun with instrumental acts. Having said that, because there isn't many instrumental bands around you will have your own niche market, pretty much. As for gettin noticed as a guitarist it simply depends on who you want to notice you. There are tonnes of bands with mediocre/average guitarists and most people who listen to music notice them, but decent musicians will always be noticed by other musicians regardless of vocals. Most famous jazz players rarely play with bands that have a vocalist, and they are usually remembered for their playing in an instrumental group.

A good example of a susccessful instrumental band would be Behold...The Arctopus

Agreed 100%

Look at it this way, if you're thinking of doing this because you can't find a suitable singer, then you may as well, there's nothing to lose and everything to gain and you may find a suitable singer later down the line who you could then gradualy work into the band.
The only artists I've seen make it as an instrumental band are Jazz players and Video Game Song Artists.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
i play in a mostly instrumental band. it's not SUPER serious, but we do gigs occasionally, and in november we'll be playing our first payed show. we play covers with lyrics, and a few of our songs have lyrics as well. I would suggest doing something like that, where you play songs the audience likes and knows, and throw in your songs so that your own sound can get heard too.
If man is 5, if man is 5, if man is 5,
then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, the Devil is 6,
And if the Devil is 6,

then God is 7, then God is 7, then God is 7
This monkey's gone to heaven.
I can't think of any famous bands that play only instrumentals. Probably not a good sign.
Quote by Zycho
I can't think of any famous bands that play only instrumentals. Probably not a good sign.

That's because it's usualy individual musicians that are well known for instrumentals rather than bands.
People like Joe Satriani, Stanley Clarke, ect.
Look at classical music, it's nearly all instrumental, infact if you add vocals to classical music, it becomes something different.... opera.
just out of experience, unless everyone in the band is just captivating to watch and to listen to, there isn't much hope, I know of a group of brothers who are uber talented and make some great instrumental music but because they dont have vocals a lot of people who see them live dont really remember them except for some guitar players or other isntrumentalists
with instrumental bands, it's quite important to have a very different sounds.
65daysofstatic for example. they're instrumental, not amazing players, very talented though, but they've made it because they're DIFFERENT