Can someone explain to me how this 'double locking system' works (as compared to floating trems that don't work)?

Eg. Ibanez Edge/Floyd Rose
Quote by Durell, spelt like Derrell but pronounced Durell
Can I get yo beautiful ass numba?
Floyd Rose is the organization that licenses, distributes and manufactures the Floyd Rose Locking Tremolo invented by Floyd D. Rose. It also manufactures guitars using the system. Floyd Rose owns the patents on the design, and licenses these patents to several original equipment manufacturers.

The Floyd Rose system consists of:

* A lock at the nut of the guitar, which prevents the tuning heads from being used and holds the strings taut
* A "floating bridge", where the other ends of the strings are also vise-locked, hence, "double-locking"

The locking system helps to keep the strings in tune while the strings are slackened to a degree which was not achieved with older tremolo systems, such as those found on Fender Stratocaster, allowing dive bombs, a rapid lowering of the pitch of a note. Since the tuning heads are ineffectual with the lock in place, the Floyd Rose bridge has heads for fine tuning; the guitar is tuned before the lock is put on, then fine tuned afterwards. Each guitar incorporated with a Floyd Rose tremolo system has springs put in the back of the hardware which create balanced forces with the strings, thus keeping the tremolo into a "floating" state.
Gear

Fender Stratocaster in Red.

It's all I need.

The Anti-Anti-Ibanez Militia!
Quote by SamTotman
Floyd Rose is the organization that licenses, distributes and manufactures the Floyd Rose Locking Tremolo invented by Floyd D. Rose. It also manufactures guitars using the system. Floyd Rose owns the patents on the design, and licenses these patents to several original equipment manufacturers.

The Floyd Rose system consists of:

* A lock at the nut of the guitar, which prevents the tuning heads from being used and holds the strings taut
* A "floating bridge", where the other ends of the strings are also vise-locked, hence, "double-locking"

The locking system helps to keep the strings in tune while the strings are slackened to a degree which was not achieved with older tremolo systems, such as those found on Fender Stratocaster, allowing dive bombs, a rapid lowering of the pitch of a note. Since the tuning heads are ineffectual with the lock in place, the Floyd Rose bridge has heads for fine tuning; the guitar is tuned before the lock is put on, then fine tuned afterwards. Each guitar incorporated with a Floyd Rose tremolo system has springs put in the back of the hardware which create balanced forces with the strings, thus keeping the tremolo into a "floating" state.

Thank you dnamra & Sam

I'm buying the Ibanez RG370DX pretty soon, and I was wondering why it said locking (knowing it was better than low-end trems, but not EXACTLY knowing that the locking part was due to the bolts at the headstock).

I feel smarter now
Well, that edge III won't last you very long at all. It's made of soft metal and the knife edges (which the bridge pivots on) will dull quickly making the trem lose most tuning stability.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Well, that edge III won't last you very long at all. It's made of soft metal and the knife edges (which the bridge pivots on) will dull quickly making the trem lose most tuning stability.

Is dis ghai for realz? Well, I'm playing one of my friend's one of these days (just to test it out before I buy it.) and he's had his for like 2 years.
He's for real, the Edge 3 is made from sub-standard materials and is generally regarded as one of Ibanez's worst bridges.

http://www.lawl.net/gtr/trems
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com