So yeah I'm currently working a little production for university to help out a band, and I've bounced my drum tracks down. I'm far better at mixing guitars than drums and I'm feeling a little stuck.

Wondering if there are any engineers here or people with drum engineering experience who can point me in the right direction with regard to what to compress, EQ tips, etc.

My main issue is that the snare sounds really weak, would like to boost the high end but the micing picked up a fair bit of the overheads so tweaking the high end is giving me more cymbals than snare.

Nothing is triggered, and I'm not going to be triggering anything, that's out of the question with regard to the assessment criteria.

Any advice appreciated!

The file can be found at:

drumbounce.mp3
mic the snare with 2 mics, one above and one below
reverse the phase on the below one
Quote by closertofreewil
I officially hate you SBLAKELELY.

PSN ID: blakerz92
add me
Recording's already done, can't change it now, was done ages ago. We decided against dual miking the snare, in my experience it never really does all THAT much for the sound. Ditto with micing the hi-hat, we didn't bother with that.

I was talking more about mixing tips really if possible. Reverbs, delays, comp settings, EQs, gates, etc.

Cheers though
experiment with a compressor, try and get a balance of the snare and the rest of the kit at the same volume
Quote by closertofreewil

add me
do you have cubase, cus i can tell you how to improve your srums using one of the plugins
Quote by closertofreewil

add me
look for a compressor plugin on pro tools then, if there is a drum preset then use that
Quote by closertofreewil

add me
Yeah I'm not uber-keen on presets anyway. I've done some ground work, but I was looking for more specific tips based on the stage I'm at now in the mix.
Compress the kick a good amount, cut everything under 60hz, and try boosting around 3k to give it a more click sound, helping it stick out better in the mix. The snare could use some reverb, it sounds kind of dry, and some compression would be good too. Overall it's a pretty good recording.
i'm just curious if you panned your overheads. I like to do that when i record, putting the drums in stereo sounds good
Ibanez GAX w/Duncan's and Sperzels
Bugera 333 Head
4x12 Fane/Celestion Cab