OK, so I was just playing some slap and pop and my G string snapped right off the fretboard. I just got these strings a few weeks ago and I'm a little ticked off. I doubt that I pop too hard, infact I'd say I go a little easy on them.

Anybody know what kind of thickness is a good thickness and what brand would be good?

Thank you to anyone that helps
I play with Ernie Balls and they work fine, not sure about the thickness but I usually go for Super Slinkies.
rotosound swing bass 66

they are in my opinion the best sounding strings on the planet for slap bass
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
rotos make the gorgeous sounds you desire.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Elites are probably the best steel string you'll get for slap, pop, fingerstlye, tapping, all that malarky. (For the confessions of a person who used to use Roto's, until I sent her some Elites, see Anarkee)

Ernie Ball do good nickel strings for slap and pop.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Stadium Elites are the best if you can get a hold of a set. Roto 66s are a close second. I also like the EB super slinkies, but they good dead a bit quicker.

Chris, I took my Ibanez in for a quick set up yesterday and totally confounded the folks in the store with the Elites. My tech asked me where I got the great sounding Rotos, lol. I also found out it is truly near impossible to get them this side of the pond.
Quote by anarkee
Stadium Elites are the best if you can get a hold of a set. Roto 66s are a close second. I also like the EB super slinkies, but they good dead a bit quicker.

Chris, I took my Ibanez in for a quick set up yesterday and totally confounded the folks in the store with the Elites. My tech asked me where I got the great sounding Rotos, lol. I also found out it is truly near impossible to get them this side of the pond.

Well, I'm sure we can sort something out. Just goes to show, you American's always doubt us Brits

Even though Roto's are made in the UK too...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
Even though Roto's are made in the UK too...

I think I'll stick with my Rotos. They are the cheapest "real" strings I can buy outside of D'Addarios. They are also the best strings I've played.
From a personal perspective, I'm set for Elites thanks to you and Ben. And I never doubt British ingenuity, btw. I can't figure out why I can get a set of Rotos (English, yes) anywhere in the US, but no Elites. And why Trace Elliots are so damn hard to find this side of the pond as well.
My fave music store PMT, has rows of trace elliots, tis great, they sound so gnarly

as for slap strings, I use really thin gauge rotos, gives a great sound, but will mean probable truss rod adjustment/set up is needed due to the gauge change
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by anarkee
From a personal perspective, I'm set for Elites thanks to you and Ben. And I never doubt British ingenuity, btw. I can't figure out why I can get a set of Rotos (English, yes) anywhere in the US, but no Elites. And why Trace Elliots are so damn hard to find this side of the pond as well.

Elites are a product made and sold exclusively for the bass centre, a UK company which, aside from being the original "basses only" store, is not that well known outside of london. They used to have a shop in east london, where I bought my second bass, but it appears they're mostly online now. Here's proof if you need it:
http://www.basscentre.com/elitesstrings.html
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
I still hope to read somewhere that Elites are the same as Rotos or d'Addarios or something.
Quote by Miss G
ugh screw rotos

get some dr lo riders

Thank you so much for saying that. DR are the greatest, rotos are damn overrated.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Look evreybody soundslive posts to just about any country and they sell elites go order youself a packet now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Pick up some Dean Berkly, Bass Blasters, they come in a two pack for about 55 buck aud, get them in medium for finger picking styles poopoing all taht
If you are one of the %10 of teen who doesn't follow Rap
and you follow PUNK, METAL AND HEAVY ROCK COPY AND PASTE THIS TOO YOUR SIGNATURE
Ernie Ball
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
Quote by skippy_moogoose
My fave music store PMT, has rows of trace elliots, tis great, they sound so gnarly

as for slap strings, I use really thin gauge rotos, gives a great sound, but will mean probable truss rod adjustment/set up is needed due to the gauge change

I think I got my amp in one of there stores, the Northhampton one or one nearish Cambridge suppose theres a Birmingham store but the one I went to had like 5/6 Trace's and EVERY model of any Ashdown amp, I stood bewildered by the wall covered in them.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Last edited by Rywad at Sep 22, 2008,
Thanks to the wonders of email I have a few answers on the Elites front. They used to be available to certain outlets in the US, but the demand wasn't enough for the US stores to keep stocking them.

Juststrings.com says if they get enough interest they may look into being a distributor. However they were quite stumped (as were my local shops) about the brand itself, all of them had never heard of them.
I say we make a online petition to have them sold in guitar center or something. Either that or I'll send you some for the price + shipping or just the price.. Shipping won't be too much.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
I'd sign. I love variety, especially good variety. and the competition may make rotosound drop prices, which for me would be a very good thing.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Any strings that are bright and of a light gauge should work perfectly.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by fatgoogle
Look evreybody soundslive posts to just about any country and they sell elites go order youself a packet now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARE YOU S***ING ME????

*checks*

Thank you fatgoogle! You are officially my hero.

I know what strings I'm getting next
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.