when playing with my band i find whenever i take a solo or play a lead line it just doesn't cut through. so i'm after some sort of volume boost pedal for solos.
i've had a look and the only thing i can find is the MXR boost, but its like £80 which seems alot for a boost? is there anything cheaper? or any other options.?
cheers
EHX LPB-1. I've got one and it's very transparent. Set below halfway or so its a huge clean boost, any higher and it starts adding gain.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I have a roland Cube 30X
is this the nano LPB1 as this looks like a good choice as it is little over £30,
Hmm, that's a solid state amp so you're not gonna want to set it very high at all since it will cause the amp to distort and that will just sound like shit.
yeahh, would you be able to set it high enough to get a resonable boost without distorting tho?
I don't know, Id go to GC and see if you can't try one with a cube 30x. It'll give you a volume boost but I don't think it will help you cut through as much as you want in a band situation. You might be better off saving for a new amp since a the cube is really just a practice amp.
No.
What you want is an EQ pedal. You do not want to be boosting a SS moddelling amp.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
No.
What you want is an EQ pedal. You do not want to be boosting a SS moddelling amp.

That's true, but using the 30x in a band situation is probably not the best idea. TS, you'd really be better off with a new amp, though boosting the mids on an eq could work if you don't think there's anyway you can get a new amp.
tubescreamer
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Yes, slightly. If you push up EQ bands, those specific frequencies get louder.
If you do happen to buy a boost pedal (don't.), you'll need a noise gate if you're using a high level of boost. The EHX can get pretty noise past halfway.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by Eggmond
tubescreamer

UHHHHHHHHH.
I'm sorry, thats just stupid.
He's using a SS MODELING amp, and you want to recommend an OVERDRIVE pedal.
Do you understand how that works?

Don't judge me.
Quote by symanoy
an EQ pedal? will that boost the volume too?

It can, but in this case you wouldn't want to. If you boost the mids the amp will be a tad louder, but more importantly it will cut through better. I still say new amp.

Eggmond: No

Ninja edit: Damn theoreticmusic beat me too it.
Quote by theoreticmusic
UHHHHHHHHH.
I'm sorry, thats just stupid.
He's using a SS MODELING amp, and you want to recommend an OVERDRIVE pedal.
Do you understand how that works?

yes.more than you obviously.you can still use an overdrive pedal with a ss amp and it will give more preamp gain resulting in a volume boost
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

sadly a new amp is not an option for a while, i dont have that sort of money right now. I just want a way to boost the sound so the solo cuts through a bit more. do boosts just not work well with SS amps in general? is an EQ the best option for my setup?
Quote by Eggmond
yes.more than you obviously.you can still use an overdrive pedal with a ss amp and it will give more preamp gain resulting in a volume boost

but it sounds like shit with a modeling amp.

Don't judge me.
Quote by Eggmond

And you prove just how little you know, if you overdrive the preamp of an SS amp it will clip harshly and sound horrible.

TS: EQ is your best bet. I use an MXR 10 band and it's great and something you'll use with every amp you have. The 6 band is alright, but for just a bit more you can get the 10 band. It also has volume and gain sliders, though those won't be that useful to you know, but with a better amp you might use them.
yeah I have heard bad things about using overdrive/distortion with solid states especially modellers like the cube! would a volume pedal be any good??
No, most of them just reduce volume and the ones that increase it would work just like a clean boost.
Quote by theoreticmusic
but it sounds like shit with a modeling amp.

he asked for a boost pedal,not a new amp

Quote by Kevin Saale
And you prove just how little you know, if you overdrive the preamp of an SS amp it will clip harshly and sound horrible

yes if you have the gain turned up full.a tubescreamer with the gain at 4 will boost without clipping
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Quote by Eggmond
he asked for a boost pedal,not a new amp

yes if you have the gain turned up full.a tubescreamer with the gain at 4 will boost without clipping

Dear Jesus, you idiot. He's using a Cube 30X. It's not going to sound good. It's just a bad idea.

TS: Look into the BBE Boosta Grande. I forgot about that. It (might) work for you. But it probably won't.

Don't judge me.
^^Ok, you really don't know what you're talking about. If you're using a ts for a boost, you don't want to turn the gain up at all. I agree that a boost pedal could work, but the fact remains, an EQ is miles better for an ss amp.

Edit:
Quote by theoreticmusic
TS: Look into the BBE Boosta Grande. I forgot about that. It (might) work for you. But it probably won't.

In my experience that's an extremely similar pedal to the lpb-1
I have an LBP1 and imo, it doesnt do what you ask for. It does NOT add any extra volume, and it does NOT cut better through the mix. Its imo quite useless.
What it do very well is, when you put it a little less than halfway, adding a tiny bit of gain, so your solo sounds more fluently. But it does not cut through better at all!
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by symanoy
an EQ pedal? will that boost the volume too?
No, but you don't want to boost the volume, you want to boost the mids.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Kevin Saale

Edit:

In my experience that's an extremely similar pedal to the lpb-1

I think it's a bit cleaner. Just a bit.

Don't judge me.