Hello all,
So, I have been thinking about getting a resonator guitar for a really long time, but I just have some quick questions for those of you who have one right beside you. I plan on going to a few music stores and trying out all of them, but since I don't have one right here right now, I can't answer these questions myself (google doesn't help either.)

First: About how much does a reso-guitar weigh? I know it varies alot by model, material, and type, but could you guys go weigh yours? Google has told me that they are somewhere between 5 and 12 pounds, but those are extremes, and I can't find an average, so I figure I will just average together those that reply with weights. The Weight really is important to me because I plan on traveling on foot for a year after I am out of school, so the heavier it is the worse it is.

Second: If you tap the outside of the guitar (Andy McKee and other Percussive players style) does it come out as loud or pronounced as it does on an acoustic? How many different tones can you get?

Third: How is maintenance? Again, in two years or so I plan on traveling, so I won't have many tools on hand. Does it require regular maintenance? Will it break if it is dinged along the way?

Fourth: Is there anything else I need to know about these instruments before I decide whether to buy one or not?

And yes, I realize much of these vary based on model, but if you could either give me a generalization, or just base it off of your own resonator and tell me the model, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks guys, your help is greatly appreciated,
ReChord

(P.S: I assume this is the forum to ask about resonators, I mean, they are acoustic and everything, but you don't see many threads about them....shame, because they are amazing guitars by look and sound...especially sound.)
Ok, this is the only bump I will ever do, as I think that bumps are sort of annoying and jackass-ish, however, I am EXTREMELY curious. On a site this big, surely there is at least ONE guy with a Resonator who can answer at least one of my questions
Please?

Thanks
I've just got one so I'll give it a go...

1) I've got a maple-bodied one as opposed to a steel-bodied and it's pretty heavy, noticeably heavier than an acoustic but you're not talking Gibson Les Paul weight.

2) About the same, but you can't get the bass tone by hitting the bridge. You can get some interesting sounds by (GENTLY!) tapping the plate that covers the resonator though.

3) I haven't had it long enough to really know, but I can't see why it would require any more maintenance than a standard acoustic. It might need more regular polishing!

4) Setup is very important. You'll need a high action if you want to play slide, or you could do what I did and compromise with a medium action if you want to play fingerstyle as well, but this does cause intonation issues higher up the neck. They also don't lend themselves particularly well to being played with a pick IMHO.

This is my resonator by the way, a Moondog 'Howlin''.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Cheers, that's not its best side either. I'm guessing the top's laminated (an all-solid guitar for £200 is very unlikely) but the back and sides are solid flamed maple with very pronounced flame, the back in particular looks stunning. I'll try and get some more photos up.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
I have had a brass bodied style "O" for over 15 years.
Other than changing strings and one neck adjustment there have been really no issues with it. It is however, very heavy. After an hour on stage it can be like having an anvil on a strap. I also have a 59 reissue Gibson Les Paul so i have gotten used to heavy guitars. The one thing I would advise would be to get a good gig bag with back pack straps. That will go a long way to making it much easier to transport for long periods of time on foot.
ZT
Play your guitar as much as you can.
Then play some more.