I've been practising some tapping licks for a time now, been playing for a little more than a year, and there's one thing that's been bothering me, when i tap it doesn't ring out as much, it does ring out pretty good but not as much as I think it should.

I've been thinking about what could be the problem, I don't think that my right hand fingers are too weak, because I play the classical guitar too. So could the problem be that the action is set too high or, that I've got backbow on the guitar?

I've had a setup once though I think the guy who set up the guitar only checked the action.

Here's some pictures of the string height. I tried measuring the string at height at the 12'th fret with a ruler (I didn't have anything better to measure with.) on the low E string, about 3 mm (0.12 inches), that sounds pretty much to me I think I measured it somewhat correctly but you can get a hang of the height by taking a look at the pictures.

Lower frets:

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/8315/dscn0731er8.jpg

12'th fret:

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/597/dscn0730dc6.jpg

Higher frets:

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/2535/dscn0732dt9.jpg
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Last edited by tweeb at Sep 21, 2008,
i can't really tell if your neck is bowed, but to be honest, i doubt its because of your guitar.
Its probably got to do with how your tapping, so just try all different ways to tap, maybbe your just not pushing down harder, im not sure.
if you posted a clip, then i might be able to tell more about what your talking about, too.
It could also be that your pickups aren't that strong and don't capture the tapping all that well. A compressor usually helps a bit in these situations.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I've adjusted my right hand position now a bit, feels a lot more comfortable, I must've had a bad hand position or something because it rings out a little more now.
Guitars

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
How exactly are you tapping?

I'm 100 percent sure that it's you, because my tapping comes out well on a shitty 100 dollar guitar and shitty 30 dollar amp, even on a clean setting.
Quote by Toniofalcon

I'm 100 percent sure that it's you, because my tapping comes out well on a shitty 100 dollar guitar and shitty 30 dollar amp, even on a clean setting.

this is what im trying to say
Quote by Toniofalcon

I'm currently supporting my right hand with my thumb on the top of the neck, and hammering down with either my index or my middle finger.
Guitars

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Quote by tweeb
I'm currently supporting my right hand with my thumb on the top of the neck, and hammering down with either my index or my middle finger.

Hey, just in case, look at this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XMr12RJIIY&feature=related

I was tapping wrong before and it wouldn't come out, then I learned that you have to kinda pluck downward after you tap and I got it.
You really need to drive your fingers into the fretboard when tapping as hard as possible and really 'flick' your fingers off for it to ring out. I found making sure I keep my thumb on the neck when doing both rather than letting it fly out helped me loads.
Quote by Toniofalcon
Hey, just in case, look at this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XMr12RJIIY&feature=related

I was tapping wrong before and it wouldn't come out, then I learned that you have to kinda pluck downward after you tap and I got it.

I just saw it, Guthrie is a really nice teacher, wish I could have him as a teacher , I'm starting to get the hang of this now, I think I was tapping with too little power and I wasn't holding on to the neck with my thumb either. Thanks all for helping me.
Guitars

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
try adjusting your pickups you may just not be getting enough signal or something that really helped me when i was a newb tapper
Use your bridge pickup, and add some gain. Both of these things will make it pick up the taps better. Add that to what everyone else is saying and you'll be able to hear it fine.
Well I'm sayin if he brings his pickups up closer to the string there'll be more signal thus easier to hear taps.
Sorry to say this, but 95% of the time when there is a problem with tapping ringing out or a similar problem, it's user error. Just practice.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!