Ahoy UG.

Christmas is a comin and my dad was like "What do you want, dya want like, a new amp?"

And i thought..hell yes, cos my marshall MG 30 is SHIT!

So, gods of UG, i pose this question, on a budget of £300-400, what valve amp would you reccomend, i would like :

LOTS of gain - I play anything from mark Knopfler to various black/death metal.
A master volume.
Capability to play comfortably at home, cos my rents dont like it loud, im on about 3 on my MG.
Capability to crank up for gigs, playing small to med venues, with the occasional 300 seater, no miccing up so far, so raw power will also be needed.

So, any ideas?

Cheers!
PC
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
Randall RG50TC
Krank Rev Jr.
Bugera 6260/6262/333/333XL
B-52 amps.

Those amps can cover most of the stuff around. They're mostly one trick ponies though.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
If your playing venues that are not going to be mic'ed up your probably better with something that has two speakers possibly, have a look into the peavey valve king 212. I use the head version and they have plenty of gain, as long as you dial the tone right it sounds great. Eventually you could even look into replacing the stock speakers with a pair of v-30's to improve the tone. If your using combos always try put them on something to make them higher which makes it easier for you to hear.
laney lv300t
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Eggmond
laney lv300t

1) Not tube.
2)Crappy sounding amp.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
hatebreeder every amp u see is crappy sounding according to you, what do you have out of interest?
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
1)hybrid tube
2) great sounding amp

on the other hand you reccomend amps that cover up the natural tone of your guitar with un neccassary gain.kranks and randalls are crap and they just suck the tone away.develop your ear so you can recognise great tone rather than the BROOTAL DISTORTION.honestly.kranks make your guitar sound like a giant rolling cheesegrater
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Eggmond
1)hybrid tube
2) great sounding amp

on the other hand you reccomend amps that cover up the natural tone of your guitar with un neccassary gain.kranks and randalls are crap and they just suck the tone away.develop your ear so you can recognise great tone rather than the BROOTAL DISTORTION.honestly.kranks make your guitar sound like a giant rolling cheesegrater

First of all, he asked for cheap VALVE amps with high gain. So I gave him cheap high gain valve amps.

I don't use them, I don't like them, I just listed what he was looking for.

And what is this 'sucking tone away' bullshit? Amps don't 'suck' tone. Maybe if you took your head out of your ass and listened, you'd know better.

My ear is quite developed, maybe you should check yours since you couldn't tell good tone if it smacked you across the face and called you Sally.

Quote by Varkunus
hatebreeder every amp u see is crappy sounding according to you, what do you have out of interest?

Varkunus, lern 2 spel k?

Why don't you check my profile and find out yourself.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
look at b52 i pickled up the at100 head over two bugeras. 2 gain channels a great clean.
Quote by hot4teacher
look at b52 i pickled up the at100 head over two bugeras. 2 gain channels a great clean.

TS, you should check out the Orange Tiny Terror as well. It's a killer sounding amp.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
valveking maybe? maybe even a marshall dsl401? problem is with needing high gain, and versatility, on a budget...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
valveking maybe? maybe even a marshall dsl401? problem is with needing high gain, and versatility, on a budget...

Yeah, high gain with a budget is really difficult innit?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
You might want to look into Randall's SS amp too, they are overlooked quite a bit.

A lot of the high gain tube amps around that price sound kinda bleh to me. I would actually prefer a randall or a peavey vypyr to most of them(may sound crazy, I know...)
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by thefrigginbob
You might want to look into Randall's SS amp too, they are overlooked quite a bit.

A lot of the high gain tube amps around that price sound kinda bleh to me. I would actually prefer a randall or a peavey vypyr to most of them(may sound crazy, I know...)

Randall SS amps are fine.

I prefer the older ones to the new G3 series though.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Krank Rev Jr.? I don't know what your budget is to me.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
I recently got a Vyper 75 for practicing at home. I love it. It's a very affordable/versatile practice amp that can do everything from clean to high gain disto. Would have gotten the 30 instead if it had the attinuator.
Quote by Billy Picken
I recently got a Vyper 75 for practicing at home. I love it. It's a very affordable/versatile practice amp that can do everything from clean to high gain disto. Would have gotten the 30 instead if it had the attinuator.

It has good sounding distortion? Sweet. I'm thinking about it.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Quote by PCSpeaker
Ahoy UG.

Christmas is a comin and my dad was like "What do you want, dya want like, a new amp?"

And i thought..hell yes, cos my marshall MG 30 is SHIT!

So, gods of UG, i pose this question, on a budget of £300-400, what valve amp would you reccomend, i would like :

LOTS of gain - I play anything from mark Knopfler to various black/death metal.
A master volume.
Capability to play comfortably at home, cos my rents dont like it loud, im on about 3 on my MG.
Capability to crank up for gigs, playing small to med venues, with the occasional 300 seater, no miccing up so far, so raw power will also be needed.

So, any ideas?

Cheers!
PC

No you have it mixed up, I'm the god, everyone else is my minions.

On a serious note, the Krank Rev Jr is great
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Randall RG50TC
Krank Rev Jr.
Bugera 6260/6262/333/333XL
B-52 amps.

Those amps can cover most of the stuff around. They're mostly one trick ponies though.

+1 all of it.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
check you PMs
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
Quote by thefrigginbob

yeah, that's the dilemma at that budget... mediocre/alright valve amp, or good modeller... i'm not quite sure which i'd go for at that kind of budget, it really depends on the situation...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think you could probably get a used Valveking on eBay... they're currently backordered through most retailers. With the money you save you could probably get an overdrive pedal and/or a new speaker.

Hell, I paid $718 for mine and got those two things anyway
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, that's the dilemma at that budget... mediocre/alright valve amp, or good modeller... i'm not quite sure which i'd go for at that kind of budget, it really depends on the situation...

Some company could really swoop in and corner the market. Seems like there are quite a few people looking for a high gain valve amp at this budget range. It's good to see so many reasonable priced valve combos aimed at blues, rock, and classic rock these days but you really have to shell out some cash if you want a nice metal amp, in my opinion.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
yeah. i think the problem is that they cost a lot more to make. i mean you could say that about anything... if someone could make a ferrari-alike for £5k, it'd sell well too.

I know what you're saying though, if someone could figure out a way to do it, they'd clean up.

EDIT: the other thing is that most decent high-gainers cost a lot means that anyone who makes a new decent one has the perfect excuse to add a few zeros to the price... kind of hard to resist to be honest.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Varkunus, lern 2 spel k?

Why don't you check my profile and find out yourself.

Late, but +150 prfile views to you.
Quote by Pinky19
It has good sounding distortion? Sweet. I'm thinking about it.

Awesome Distortion. The high gain amp models are sick, no need for pedals. Also, the Vinatage models with the built in OD pedal effects range from sweet and creamy to crunchtastic. This is THE practice amp for me.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Late, but +150 prfile views to you.

I got a decent amount of profile views today.

Oh TS, I forgot to mention, you could pick up some used, older Mesa/Boogie combos like the DC series and the F series.

Great amps.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
finally, another problem is that if you price yourself low, a lot of people will automatically think it's not as good. this is the same for any product. if everything else of a similar spec is going for twice as much, people will think you've cheaped out on parts etc. so, er, yeah. someone could clean up, but it could just as easily backfire.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah. i think the problem is that they cost a lot more to make. i mean you could say that about anything... if someone could make a ferrari-alike for £5k, it'd sell well too.

I know what you're saying though, if someone could figure out a way to do it, they'd clean up.

EDIT: the other thing is that most decent high-gainers cost a lot means that anyone who makes a new decent one has the perfect excuse to add a few zeros to the price... kind of hard to resist to be honest.

Yeah you are right, on both points.

At least modeling technology is sounding better through the years. If it continues to develop the way it is then we may see some better mid-range metal amps.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
yeah, hopefully.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?