Ok, so usually when i change my strings its because i've broken one and the rest are looking a bit old.

but i've got a problem, i ALWAYS break the bottom E.

i do play mostly on the bottom 4 strings but am i doing something wrong??

strumming too hard??? just bad playing??
What gauge of strings do you use?
Guitars:
-Schecter C-1 Plus
-MIM Tele
Amp:
-Vox AD50VT
Pedals:
-Dunlop Crybaby
-Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion
-Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger

Hopefully more to come.
The thickest string shouldn't break, what is your bridge made out of? If it is metal, you may ave a burr that is eating through the string. I had that once on my high E string.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
Quote by Minderbinder
The thickest string shouldn't break, what is your bridge made out of? If it is metal, you may ave a burr that is eating through the string. I had that once on my high E string.

I have heard of that,... its very possible that that could be the problem.
don't you mean HIGH E string?
the only way i can break the low E is with pliers.

it's perfectly normal that the thinnest string is the first to break. it's less resistant than the others.
get 10's then or even 11's or custom ones with thicker low strings
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Quote by Conca
get 10's then or even 11's or custom ones with thicker low strings

I guess, but i've got the guitar set up really sweet as it is with the 9's on it and i much prefer 9's to anything thicker.
nah, not possible to break low E strings. only if you have a crap ass guitar which is taking care of that for you. i've tried over and over to break low Es and i just couldn't.
what we call the high E is the 0.09 gauge string. maybe you're confused about that.
dude i know the difference between high and low. don't be retarded.

when they break they always break right on the bridge, you guys think thats what the problem is.
well that's the guitar's fault then. that should never happen. it should break in the fret zone. always.

or maybe it's the strings' fault. or maybe it's your fault lol. are you sure you lock the strings alright?
If it is metal, you may ave a burr that is eating through the string

Yep. Strings always breaking at the bridge would be for me.

However, I also have another question, how long have you been playing?

I know that, for me, I broke the crap out of my A-string for the first year of playing.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by RCalisto
nah, not possible to break low E strings. only if you have a crap ass guitar which is taking care of that for you. i've tried over and over to break low Es and i just couldn't.
what we call the high E is the 0.09 gauge string. maybe you're confused about that.

I'm sorry, but what are you thinking? I've broken Low-E Strings before on my C-1 Hellraiser. It has to do with either the burr, as stated before, or the tension of the strings. I've broken 52/54 gauge strings too, from use. So don't tell me it's not possible when it's happened.

And yes, I've had my guitar set up.

Quote by RCalisto
well that's the guitar's fault then. that should never happen. it should break in the fret zone. always.

or maybe it's the strings' fault. or maybe it's your fault lol. are you sure you lock the strings alright?

It doesn't need to break over the fret board. If the bridge has burrs or spurs or whatever it's called, it can break there. If the nut has a sharp edge, it can break there. If you cut it at the peg, it can break there (Or will break there. :P).
Am I the only one who hasn't broken a string ever? I mean, I haven't been playing for long, but I hear about people breaking a lot of strings as beginners, it's never happened to me :/
I've broken the low E plenty if times, so to all you kids whove been playing for 6 months saying it cant happen, it can. Sometimes the tension will build up and the low e will basically uncoil itself, and that just happens from stress. Maybe you strum the low e harder than the others without realizing it, and it just happens from the way you play. It doesn't really matter, if I were you I'd just keep replacing my strings, its kind of trivial to even worry about something like that.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
Quote by mercedesisbenz
I've broken the low E plenty if times, so to all you kids whove been playing for 6 months saying it cant happen, it can. Sometimes the tension will build up and the low e will basically uncoil itself, and that just happens from stress. Maybe you strum the low e harder than the others without realizing it, and it just happens from the way you play. It doesn't really matter, if I were you I'd just keep replacing my strings, its kind of trivial to even worry about something like that.

Yeah thats basicallywhat happens when the string breaks, its not a clean snap. it uncoils itself, so i'm left with the core of the string and bits flailing around.

and to answer any more questions, i've been playing for 3 years, but i've been playing music since i was 5. so i do know my stuff.

these burrs i've heard about, any way to fix it?? or would it require i new bridge?
Depends on your bridge and the string itself.

If it's a floater, then maybe you have locked the string in enough and it's started to come out. And if your string holders or saddles are rusty, that can really add to string wear and tear. Also depends on the brand of string. If it's a second-rate brand, they'll break more often, of course. I use Ernie Ball's and I broke my first string (high-e) after 9 months of playing.
hue
Quote by sock_demon
Depends on your bridge and the string itself.

If it's a floater, then maybe you have locked the string in enough and it's started to come out. And if your string holders or saddles are rusty, that can really add to string wear and tear. Also depends on the brand of string. If it's a second-rate brand, they'll break more often, of course. I use Ernie Ball's and I broke my first string (high-e) after 9 months of playing.

I use Ernie Ball's, and the brige is a standard strat bridge, so no locking there. the guitar itself is only 1 year old so the saddles arn't rusty.

and i've probably only broken one of the other stings maybe once, so i'm thinking there's something wrong with the bottom E saddle.

do i just need to take it to a shop??
btw, string thickness doesn't matter THAT much. i use .70 gauges for my low E and still snap them more often than i'd like. i went from .52 up to .70 to change string breakage from every couple of days to every couple of weeks.
^ what the ****?
i could keep the low E for a year and not damage it. how the **** can you do that? honestly, i want to know.
^ i beat the crap out of my guitar when i play. i have a seriously vicious pick attack, what can i say i've had to start playing alot lighter to keep from breaking them, especially on my acoustic. when you spend around $60 in 2 weeks on elixirs you're reminded to be gentler (my acoustic only has .56's i think)

however my electric i can be a little harder on since the strings are thicker so i play it still a little lighter but not much.
waddafac. you really must be picking like you're punching someone's face. i don't pick mega hard, but i don't pick too lightly either. so waddafac again. your sound on the acoustic must suck?
if i pick really hard the world just starts buzzing the fux out of fux
^ i think my acoustic sounds pretty good for how i pick on it (it can be heard on the beginning of "the day god was born" and "there are no words to this") its just not as hard as i'm used to