Hey guys, I'm thinking of saving up for a Framus Cobra and I was wondering if anyone knows if a Cobra would sound good with a Vader 2x12. I've heard that it makes the ENGL Savage too middy and the Savage is similar to the Cobra. Or could you recommend me another cheap 2x12 for the Cobra? Thanks.
http://groups.ultimat e-guitar.com/aa08s/

Squint your eyes to see clearly. Blur reality to make it real.

Quote by Magic Jim
"Jimmy! Eat your peas!"
"It's not illegal if I don't"
"k, koo"

Imagine if life was like that.

Awesome
It will sound spectacular. Vadars come with custom V12 Legends. The bass response will be earth shaking.
too middy?
I don't think Eminence Legends are very middy to start?
I like that combo, go with Vader.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Ok, thanks for your help guys. I've got another question: Will the Cobra sound good at bedroom volumes or will I have to buy an attenuator?

Quote by Magic Jim
"Jimmy! Eat your peas!"
"k, koo"

Awesome
In my experiece, I never play mine at bedroom levels, its not a practice amp. Yes you will need an attenuator. I tryed a Mesa Cab with V30s on my cobra and I didnt like the result. The vader will be great for the cobra. The cobra reacts well with high headroom speakers. Common though, get the 4x12, none of this 2x12 nonsense.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
The Cobra is no bedroom amp. If you intend to use it for low-volume practise, you will be severely disappointed.

Quote by Ubershall404
The cobra reacts well with high headroom speakers.

This is probably true, but it'd not exactly averse to low-headroom ones - the Cobra cab is loaded with Greenbacks and sounds fantastic.
I would go with the Dragon 2x12 or a VHT fatbottom 2x12. DON'T get the cobra if you don't gig in loud places. It sounds like a practice amp at low volumes.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
It sounds like a practice amp at low volumes.

I'd say worse than that. Not just the cobra either, pretty much any high-gain, high wattage amp.
Quote by Nolly
I'd say worse than that. Not just the cobra either, pretty much any high-gain, high wattage amp.

you've obviously never played one then. you can make them sound good at low volumes, they still sound way better than 'practice amps' which i assume you mean a tiny SS amp. this is just stupid to say.
Well Enough Alone
I'm trying to start up a band but it's going slowly. So if I get a Cobra it will be like a practice\performance amp because I can carry it anywhere with a 2x12 instead of a 4x12. The Vader 2x12 is oversized anyway so i'll get plenty of bass response. And yes, high gain amps usually sound fine at low volumes. (peavey 5150 sounds pretty good turned low, not great, but good) But Mesa Dual Rectos sound like absolute piss low. I'll probally get an attenuator either way though.

Quote by Magic Jim
"Jimmy! Eat your peas!"
"k, koo"

Awesome
The Cobra and Dragon are both extremely similar, the dragon has a smoother lead channel and thats about it.

They sound great at low volumes, I do recommend an overdrive to keep it tight at low volumes.

As far as sounding good through Vaders, I have a B-52 cab with V12 legends and a Dragon, good combo. I prefer V30's with the Dragon though. Although, the cobra might before Legends, or you can always swap out 2 speakers for V30s.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by guitardude11
you've obviously never played one then. you can make them sound good at low volumes, they still sound way better than 'practice amps' which i assume you mean a tiny SS amp. this is just stupid to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKUPF9UEuRQ

That's me playing a Cobra, I owned one for about 6 months. Believe me, I know all the tricks for getting them to sound great, and loud they are one of the most 3D sounding, fantastically aggressive sounding amps. At bedroom volumes they sound thin, fizzy, brittle and harsh, there's no way around it.
Last edited by Nolly at Sep 22, 2008,
gotta agree about bedroom volumes, the Cobra is particularly bad. Best cab for that amp is the matching greenback cab, hands down IMO. It's tuned perfectly for it. Did not care for it at all with V30's.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Sep 22, 2008,
Quote by Nolly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKUPF9UEuRQ

That's me playing a Cobra, I owned one for about 6 months. Believe me, I know all the tricks for getting them to sound great, and loud they are one of the most 3D sounding, fantastically aggressive sounding amps. At bedroom volumes they sound thin, fizzy, brittle and harsh, there's no way around it.

Your sick dude. I saw your bland street bloom cover, I think it was one of your firsts.

I also, have a Cobra and I feel it doesn't sound good at low volumes.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
im GETTING a framus at some stage in my life....

How much are they in the US? they're €2400 here in ireland
My Gear:
Jackson RR3 + Bill Lawrence L500XL

Sennheiser EW500 Wireless
T-bone EWS wireless
IbanezTS9
MXR 6Band EQ
Ibanez WD7
Decimator

Peavey VK100
Epiphone ValveJunior
Kustom Quad100DFX 2x12
MicroCube!
Marshall 1960A 4 x 12
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
Your sick dude. I saw your bland street bloom cover, I think it was one of your firsts.

I also, have a Cobra and I feel it doesn't sound good at low volumes.

Cheers dude! Yeah that was one of the earlier vids I did.

I'll point out that the low volume thing isn't a criticism of the amp in any way - when it's doing what it supposed to, it's amazing. It's just a strict warning to anyone expecting to get the same tones in their bedrooms.
**** neighbors and noise regulation... have fun
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by ianguitargod
im GETTING a framus at some stage in my life....

How much are they in the US? they're €2400 here in ireland

The used prices are extremely cheap, like $1,400-$1,500.

The new prices are about $800 more I believe.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I got mine for 1700 new, but apparently I got a steal.
Quote by doggy_hat
The framus sounds very thin and fizzy at low volumes.

Not all high gain high wattage suffer like this (to the same degree). In my experience an ENGL fireball sounds better at low volumes than a Peavey 5150 does for example.

Hell, I have this peavey backstage 15 watt SS amp and it sounded better than the 5150 at low volumes.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by BleedDeathMetal

Yeah, i got my dragon for $1,350 + an ABY switcher.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by BleedDeathMetal

No way! I call shenanagins! $1700 is a realistic used price. I got mine used for 1825. No Framus dealer would let one go for that low. Thats probably below cost.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Quote by Ubershall404
No way! I call shenanagins! $1700 is a realistic used price. I got mine used for 1825. No Framus dealer would let one go for that low. Thats probably below cost.

You got me it was 1700 plus shipping. I got it from a place called Gallucci music in PA last year. I'm pretty sure they raised their prices a bit tho, but from what I've been told its still a better buy then buying used.
Quote by doggy_hat