Page 1 of 3
So I'm just going to save up and buy the JVM 215c 50watt combo. Any opinions?
Well, it depends on what you play because I'd buy the Vintage Modern over it if I were buying a new Marshall but that's because I'm a classic rock/hard rock guy.
Depends what you're playing, what your budget it is. I'd go for a traynor ycv50 blue if you want a marshall tone for classic rock. To me, the traynor is miles ahead of anything marshall is selling these days.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by lewis_grey
Well, it depends on what you play because I'd buy the Vintage Modern over it

o_O If he was playing theme tunes I wouldn't pick the Vintage Modern...

They're pretty good, but I personally think they're a tad overpriced.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
^ +1 . i liked the jvm, it's probably my favourite of the modern marshalls, but depending on where you are and what your budget is, there are likely other options worth looking into too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm saving up approx 1000 to get whatever amp I'm going to get, if it goes further my father said he'd just put forward whatever goes over 1000 for my birthday.

So if its not the 50w jvm combo what else is there.

I've only been playing for 1 year, but I've been excelling and I'd like to start a tool cover band. I know they use diezal amp and thats like 4000 plus the cab. So thats OUTTA the question completely.

But as for what I play, you'd consider it to be metal, and I like to dabble in classic rock, and please let it have a combo option, I live in an apartment lol
Get a Matamp.
Quote by sesstreets
A matamp?

Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
^lulz.

That was a semi-joke.

Try to find a used Sovtek Mig 50 or maybe a Redbear or Sunn Model T. Those are relatively cheap, under 1000 USD, and will deliver that kind of tone, methinks.

Another thing to look for is a used JCM800.
Quote by sesstreets
I'm saving up approx 1000 to get whatever amp I'm going to get, if it goes further my father said he'd just put forward whatever goes over 1000 for my birthday.

So if its not the 50w jvm combo what else is there.

I've only been playing for 1 year, but I've been excelling and I'd like to start a tool cover band. I know they use diezal amp and thats like 4000 plus the cab. So thats OUTTA the question completely.

But as for what I play, you'd consider it to be metal, and I like to dabble in classic rock, and please let it have a combo option, I live in an apartment lol

are you in the USA? i guess so based on the price of those diezels, but it'd be best to know for sure...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah I'm in the USA, I'd love to get a diezel, but WOW are they expensive.

But right now I just have my eyes on the jcm
Look at the JCMs for sure cause Adam uses an old Marshall. You could also look at Mesa Mark series, they're closer to Diezel tone than Marshalls.
I know he uses a superbass from the 70's, but I think its more for just an added OOMF, mostly he uses his vh4 dizel amp, which is way out of my league.

I'm still thinking the jvm series right now. But also traynor has some stuff, I'll have to find a shop with them to test out.
Yea, plus he uses an old blueface VH4 from the first year of production, which I think was 94. And if you look him up, you'll see he sometimes doesn't use some of his amps the whole show, even the VH4.
Yeah I know, but do you think I can replicate (somewhat) his sound through a JVM?
how much does the jvm go for in the states? if it goes for what i think it does, i'd be looking at soldano, vht, splawn, roccaforte, peters, mesa, etc. etc. etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The 50 watt combo jcm goes for $1100 in the states.

Combos are the only thing I can get, I live in an apartment.

Does mesa make any combos worth their salt?
oh ok, i thought it was more than that. i'd take a look at the new mesa expresses. some people don't like them, but i quite liked the one i tried, and they have a switch to take them down to 5 watts which might be cool for your apartment (though still likely too loud, but not just as loud). would be worth a try, anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you're looking for a JCM800 type tone but a little more high gain, there's a RedBear MK60 head for sale over at Harmony-Central for, I think, $350.

Great price, great amps. I tried to score it off him, but he wasn't willing to add cash in a trade
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
If you're looking for a JCM800 type tone but a little more high gain, there's a RedBear MK60 head for sale over at Harmony-Central for, I think, $350.

Great price, great amps. I tried to score it off him, but he wasn't willing to add cash in a trade

Linky?

Oh, well. It'll be a couple more months till I have the money to buy a new head anyway.
http://www.ceriatone.com/productSubPages/BSJCM800_2204/BSJCM800_2204Cabinet.htm

just under a grand after shipping from a completly assembled head, lol. ugh i got my eye on that plexi to bad im broke heh
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
I seriously need a combo amp though. Thats why I'm looking at the jvm, but right now it seems like thats the only thing for me. I'll check out some of the mesa combos though.
Quote by sesstreets
I seriously need a combo amp though. Thats why I'm looking at the jvm, but right now it seems like thats the only thing for me. I'll check out some of the mesa combos though.

Combos are heavy as hell
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Combos are heavy as hell

Truf.

Head + 2x12 ftmfw
Quote by sesstreets
What its not like I can't carry one.

Eh, I have a combo and a head/2x12/4x12 setup and I'd much rather move the head and a 2x12.

I think if you're looking at a new JVM, you're really limiting yourself to some great amps that can only be found in head form.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Isn't the jvm a head in itself? On the back it has a whole set of speaker outputs. I think a 4/8/16 ohm set
another +1 on the head and 2x12 suggestion. Combos can be cool, but they can be very heavy and awkward to carry. Its much easier to carry a head and 2x12 cab in separate loads. And as an added plus, you can add a second 2x12 cab later on if you so desire, or even hook it up to a 4x12 (though 4x12s are also quite heavy and awkward to carry).

i would also recommend the traynors, especially the YCS100 head. Tons of features and sounds great.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Eh, I have a combo and a head/2x12/4x12 setup and I'd much rather move the head and a 2x12.

I think if you're looking at a new JVM, you're really limiting yourself to some great amps that can only be found in head form.

+1

Quote by sesstreets
Isn't the jvm a head in itself? On the back it has a whole set of speaker outputs. I think a 4/8/16 ohm set

that's not what he means, i don't think- he means some great amps only come in head format, and if you decide you only want a combo, you'd be missing out on them...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by sesstreets
How do traynors handle metal?

The YCS100 has alot of gain on tap, especially with the boost functions for all 3 channels. Im sure it could do almost any kind of metal.
Its not that I don't want a head/stack setup, its that I cannot fit it in my apartment. And I wouldn't be able to get a good saturated tube sound from it.

Right now I'm maybe thinking that the JVM is a tad over priced. And now I'm looking at the traynor blue and the randal RG50TC. Both are WAY more affordable.

Anybody know about these?
Quote by sesstreets
Its not that I don't want a head/stack setup, its that I cannot fit it in my apartment. And I wouldn't be able to get a good saturated tube sound from it.

Right now I'm maybe thinking that the JVM is a tad over priced. And now I'm looking at the traynor blue and the randal RG50TC. Both are WAY more affordable.

Most tube combos are pretty big, if you can fit one in your house, you can most likely fit a 2x12 and head.

And I don't see how a combo is going to get you a more saturated sound? If you're getting a head with the same amount of wattage it doesn't really matter, even if the head is loud, just pull two of the power tubes which will knock its wattage in half.

Either way, I like the RG50TC and would recommend that
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
i dunno. i mean a 1x12 combo would be a little smaller than a head + 2x12. but certainly if you can fit a 2x12 combo in your house... the head + 2x12 cab isn't going to be any bigger (in terms of width) and only marginally taller...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by sesstreets

Those are both 50 watt amps, they are still fairly loud. Nice thing about the YCS100 or the YCS50 heads is that they have a switch on the back that lowers the watts by over half. The YCS100 goes from 100 to 30 watts, and the YCS50 goes from 50 to 15 watts. This will allow you to get your saturated tube sound at a lower volume than even the YCV50 or the RG50TC can.

When you compare the sizes of the YCV50Blue and the RG50TC, they arent much smaller than the average head + 2x12 cab. Its really a matter of a few inches, even compared to a large 2x12 cab like the G-flex. There isnt much difference in wieght either. Both combos are around 50 lbs, same as a G-flex cab.

I also see hear that the TG50TC is also available in head form, so that is also something to consider.
Page 1 of 3