Hi guys,
I'm still new on here and think this is the right place for this, but if not lemme know and I'll put it elsewhere. Before I start, serious replies only please

Anyways,
I'm really stuck with (AS level) Differentiation in Maths. In particular the stationary points section. (If anyone is on the same course, it's the Advanced Maths Essentials: Core 1 for OCR text book). With a close relative being seriously ill in hospital, I really haven't had time to do this work, and the teacher is being really unsympathetic and won't cut me any slack, but at the same time, won't help me try to understand the topic.
/rant.

Help would be appreciated...
MOAR

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Active
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Ovation Celebrity
In times of trouble I turn to the Bible. Christ was down with the differentials.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
You could enlist the help of a parent/guardian.

HOWEVER:

Google "Psychiatrist Note"

Search for a picture of some psychiatrists desk notes (IE with his name and number up top)

Print it out (paint over the text, if there is some)

Write a note saying you're "Emotionally Distressed" or something like that.

Therefore, you have a doctor's note as an excuse.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Yeah post some questions or explain what you don't understand and I'll try and help.
Supposed to differentiate, then find the stationary point, then differentiate again, and find the local max/min of:

y=4x(squared)+6x

y=9+x-x(squared)

Sorry, I don't know how to get a smaller number for indices on here.
MOAR

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Active
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Ovation Celebrity
y=4x^2 + 6x

dy/dx = 8x + 6

Stationary points are when dy/dx = 0, so in this case x=3/4.
Sorry - I meant -3/4 in the last post.

y = x^2 + x + 9

dy/dx = 2x + 1

Stationary point is at -1/2.
to find if it is a maximum or minimum you need to find the second derivative. Then in that is greater than 0 its a minimum, lower than 0 its a maximum.
keep practising differentiation. i think it is one of the easiest things in the A-Level. i would recommend sitting down with the text book and reading over the instructions and doing some questions. you may also be able to find different explanations if you use google.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Thanks for your help guys, really appreciated =D
Also, smb, the second question was y=9+x-x^2

I know I'm going to have to really practice this, I'm alright with Surds and Quadratics in my other class, I just haven't got my head round this bit yet.

LedZeppelin9345, damn. Very few of my classmates have got this topic so far, so I'm going to have to be lucky if Differentiation is one of the easiest topics haha
MOAR

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Active
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Ovation Celebrity
Last edited by Hammy_991 at Sep 21, 2008,
I did AS maths with OCR this year, I didn't actually take any classes and taught myself in two weeks and scraped an A, it was awesome.

But now i've forgotten most of it.

When I did differentiation i usually just put x=0 into everything and saw what happened if that helps at all.
Quote by Hammy_991
Thanks for your help guys, really appreciated =D
Also, smb, the second question was y=9+x-x^2
Then the 2x should be -2x, and the stationary point is at 1/2 (hopefully you can see why)
Quote by Craigo
Shoot us with some questions.

A Level Maths is one of the hardest A Levels, but keep bashing at it and it's worth it.

It's also piss easy because it's just an A level.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Hammy_991
it's the Advanced Maths Essentials: Core 1 for OCR text book

Tip: The answers are in the back.
Quote by Meths
It's also piss easy because it's just an A level.
it's easy to say that once you've done them
Quote by korinaflyingv
I'm afraid LedZeppelin's right, this is really some of the easiest stuff in a level

This stuff is basic and you need to be really spot on with this as you'll be using them for various applications which you'll see later in the course. Just keep practicing.
Im in my A2 year. I got a U in maths last year,
I'm resitting so I can at least get an E to get into Uni.

So take it from me...whatever's going on, keep trying your hardest.
Quote by Metal_alex
im on edexcel mate

maths is hard but physics, MUCH HARDER!

Physics is easy too.

If you find A levels hard you should just give up and kill yourself now.

Quote by smg
it's easy to say that once you've done them

I've been saying that for the past 2 years.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by abs_n91
Im in my A2 year. I got a U in maths last year,
I'm resitting so I can at least get an E to get into Uni.

So take it from me...whatever's going on, keep trying your hardest.

I was getting straight U's because I was slacking off and got a C from 4 days solid revision before the exams... AS Maths (I cannot comment on A2 yet) is easy enough.
Quote by Metal_alex

Yeah, try those for your AS, then for A2, take on further maths as well. 12 periods of maths, going through further maths when you need the knowledge from some of the normal maths you haven't even done yet. That's hard.

But yeah, A2 physics, hardest thing I've ever done.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by Metal_alex
im on edexcel mate

You got to be shitting me man, Edexcel Physics was a breeze. Mind you, their examiners are just pedantic wankers who sit there all day with their thumbs up their arse.
Quote by LordBishek
You got to be shitting me man, Edexcel Physics was a breeze. Mind you, their examiners are just pedantic wankers who sit there all day with their thumbs up their arse.

Try OCR Physics, it's the hardest board for physics apparently, our idiot teachers put us on that one.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by Jonn0
Yeah, try those for your AS, then for A2, take on further maths as well. 12 periods of maths, going through further maths when you need the knowledge from some of the normal maths you haven't even done yet. That's hard.

But yeah, A2 physics, hardest thing I've ever done.

Seriously? On my exam board it was a joke.

Quote by Jonn0
Try OCR Physics, it's the hardest board for physics apparently, our idiot teachers put us on that one.

That's the one I did and it was piss easy. I did OCR Physics B though, maybe A is a lot harder. OCB Physics B was practically GCSE stuff.

Oscar Wilde
Quote by Jonn0

Yeah, but edexcel just sucks, they're a really crap board, they hire people who dont have a clue what they're doing, marked my music tech coursework at grade E when my teacher says it was A or B standard

And yeah, physics is pretty damn hard at times, but as long as you understand it (unfortunately, i don't), it's not too bad. My brother got B in it with practically no work.
Quote by korinaflyingv
Yeah, but edexcel just sucks, they're a really crap board, they hire people who dont have a clue what they're doing, marked my music tech coursework at grade E when my teacher says it was A or B standard

Or maybe your teacher's the one who sucks.

Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
Seriously? On my exam board it was a joke.

That's the one I did and it was piss easy. I did OCR Physics B though, maybe A is a lot harder. OCB Physics B was practically GCSE stuff.

Edexcel is certainly the most annoying. Not because they're stricter or have higher standards, but they're woefully interested in semantics. They always seem to be concerned with defining shit, and never actually analysing it - it's all rote learning.
Quote by korinaflyingv
f(x)=ax^b
f'(x)=bax^(b-1)

f(x)=x^5
f´(x)=5x^4

Not done that shit in a year, checking if my memory is intact. Correct?

Having a math test tomorrow, ****ing logarithm equations and what not are being gay. Not going to get a full score
Quote by Meths
Physics is easy too.

Physics is definitely harder than maths imo.
I found chemistry the hardest A-level of those I did, but it all depends on how you work and how you're taught I guess.
I'm sorry, but is this a college course? if so, I did this stuff when I was a junior in High school. It was cake. Physics is awesome, but much more difficult. I agree with Metal alex.
don'T worry if differentiation seems hard to start with - it will get easier as you do more of it because you are doing essentially the same thing in every question.

and to Samdunhamss, A-Levels are the UK entrance exams to get into university, which you do in your last 2 years of "high school", which would be the equivalent of grades 12 and 13 in the States.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Quote by Toolshed#9
f(x)=x^5
f´(x)=5x^4

Not done that shit in a year, checking if my memory is intact. Correct?

Having a math test tomorrow, ****ing logarithm equations and what not are being gay. Not going to get a full score

yes.

TS, just practise loads, i'm sure it will make sense soon. One day you'll realise "actually that's really not hard at all"