Whats the point in rectifiers?

Im not too knowledgeable in electricity,although I do know that the rectifier converts the alternating currents to direct currents..But what purpose does it serve in guitar amps?
What doesn't kill you,only makes you pissed off.
You said it right there in your post, converts AC to DC.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Produces a really unique tone basically and in some cases allows for higher gain/early tube breakup which makes them the holy grail of metal guitarists.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
Yea.I know it does that..But what Im asking is;are their any specific differences in the way the currents run through the amp?

For example:Whats the difference in a regular tube head,and a triple rectifier head?

Edit:Thank you H_angm_n....Also,what is this "breakup" you speak of?
What doesn't kill you,only makes you pissed off.
Last edited by Z-Bone at Sep 21, 2008,
he's talking about a mesa rectifier... that's a different thing.

basically you can have a tube rectifier, or solid state rectifier in an amp. a tube rectifier sounds a bit more vintage, and "sags" when the volume is pushed as it struggles to keep up with the amount of current needed. ss rectification sounds more direct, and tighter etc. more modern.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave nailed it.

The difference between the single dual and trip rectos is this:

Single: 50 watts 1 recto tube
Dual: 100 watts 2 recto tubes
triple: 150 watts 3 recto tubes
^

i thought the single recto only had ss rectification, though?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Z-Bone
Yea.I know it does that..But what Im asking is;are their any specific differences in the way the currents run through the amp?

For example:Whats the difference in a regular tube head,and a triple rectifier head?

Edit:Thank you H_angm_n....Also,what is this "breakup" you speak of?

A triple rectifier is just a brand, all amps contain one rectifier only.

Break up is like distortion
Quote by Dave_Mc
^

You're right.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by cutslikedrugsx
Doesn't a single rectifier only have ss rectification?

Quote by Kevin Saale
Quote by Dave_Mc
^

You're right.

Already crossed that bridge.
Quote by H_ngm_n
Produces a really unique tone basically and in some cases allows for higher gain/early tube breakup which makes them the holy grail of metal guitarists.

No it doesn't.

The rectifier isn't part of the signal chain, it has nothing to do with the break up of an amp.

Metal amps don't have early break up, most modern metal amps run a very clean power section as the "high gain" sound comes from multiple gain stages in the preamp. A rectifier isn't a holy grail of metal guitarists, they're a necessary component in any guitar amp.

If you're talking about a Mesa Boogie single/dual/triple rectifier amp, all it refers to are the rectification switching options between tube or solid state rectifiers, Dave already covered the differences tube and solid state rectifiers.
I think the Mesa Rectifier line names work like this. Single only has SS rectifying, Dual has switchable SS and tube rectifying and the triple... I think that's named like that because it's the bigger version and triple comes after dual, it still has just two different rectifying methods.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.