Do these make your guitar sound deeper, I mean lower than normal strings?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Last edited by lespaul#1 at Sep 21, 2008,
The only reason for thicker strings is for lower tuning without loss of string tension. 10's are for standard and drop d. 11's are for half step down or drop d half step. And 12's are for drop c and a few lower tunings.
if you tune them in standard tuning, then no. you need to actually detune the strings for it to sound lower, and heavier strings are better for that kind of playing because they vibrate in smaller circles (ie they dont flap about)
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Well I play alot of Dick Dale stuff so I was looking this up.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Stevie Ray Vaughn used 13's on his guitars in 1/2 step down (Eb) tuning becaues you get a richer, fuller sound out of them. That's about the only reason to use them with standard or close-to-standard tunings.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
I think you might like heavier strings. I just bumped up to 11s and play them in standard. I really like the added tension for tremolo picking. If you're using nines I'd give tens a shot. Bending is harder at first but it doesn't take long to get used to it.

Quote by P-Bass Pirate
Stevie Ray Vaughn used 13's on his guitars in 1/2 step down (Eb) tuning becaues you get a richer, fuller sound out of them. That's about the only reason to use them with standard or close-to-standard tunings.

I heard he used them to make for the low output pups in his guitar.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Unrelated, but I'm looking for a good blues/ classic rock tone, which is better, the Marshall BB-2, or the Maxon OD-808. I like them both, and the BB-2 will take half the time to save up for. BTW thanks Kevin, I've been using 9s just to perect my trem picking, but I feel embarresed for playing surf with such small strings.
Quote by chip46
Build a TS808 clone from generalguitargadgets.com 60 bucks, dead silent sounds great.
I'll look into that, did you make one?
Quote by chip46
Yup, I only made a few mods that alter it from stock specs. I did the mod to lower gain when the gain is at zero, also did the mod to eliminate some of the mid hump and increase bass. I forget what I used for clipping diodes, but I don't think that's stock either.
oh, I'm going to try that, and if not, I'll ask around for advice.
Quote by chip46
I also built a byoc one and can honestly say the extra 30 bucks isn't going anywhere. BYOC is a good site and their service and instructions are much better, but GGG uses the same quality components, sounds just as good and costs less.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I think you might like heavier strings. I just bumped up to 11s and play them in standard. I really like the added tension for tremolo picking. If you're using nines I'd give tens a shot. Bending is harder at first but it doesn't take long to get used to it.

For sure. I played 10-52's for years and went up to 12-52's a few months ago. Got used to them really fast. My tone improved greatly and my tremolo and alternate picking speed and accuracy improved a whole bunch, bends and vibratos just sing away now. I wish I would have started using thicker strings long ago.
Quote by Phat Stud 55
The only reason for thicker strings is for lower tuning without loss of string tension. 10's are for standard and drop d. 11's are for half step down or drop d half step. And 12's are for drop c and a few lower tunings.

I use .12 to .56 for D standard. I just like the extra tension and feel of larger strings. My point is it's not like stuck to that formula.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Digital Bravo, I like the last two line of your sig.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
Digital Bravo, I like the last two line of your sig.

My sarcasm meter is malfunctioning again. I seriously need to replace this thing.
Quote by sargasm
No, I was serious. If people like SS amps, they should be left alone, of course I prefer tubes, but that's just me.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
No, I was serious. If people like SS amps, they should be left alone, of course I prefer tubes, but that's just me.

Hahah well thank you for understanding! I try not to bug folks who enjoy their tubes. Like some people, tubes will come later. For now I like my stack... despite my half dead 4x12 cab.
Quote by sargasm