Well, here's the thing. I'm doing my first acoustic solo show (and my first live show ever) in less than a week for about 3000-4000 people. Now I know there are many articles written about first time performances and stuff besides all the common sense things, but I'd like to ask actual UG users with experience what things I should watch out for or try to avoid in order for this to go as smoothly as possible.

I ask comprehensively, from any advice regarding good tones, stress relievers, etc. etc., and whatever else that I can't think of. I'm pretty nervous about this even though I'm a pretty good player and am practicing my ass off so that i know my material as perfectly as possible.

Thanks all,
i havnt done one before but id just be myself (a clumsy twat) and enjoy myself while trying to keep the crowd entertained
^it probaly dint help but what the hay
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
avoid the acoustic guitar because it's for grampas.
"Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks."
- Dr. Dre
Don't be cocky, don't be quiet. Be confident but not too much. It's a hard balance. If you don't look at your fingers it looks professional.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Hhhmm yeah, I tend to be very concentrated and rigid when I play, it's like, I tell myself I can't afford to make any mistakes, but I'm gonna be taking a good number of shots of hard liquor before i go on just to loosen myself up, so hopefully that won't happen.
Be confident, boarderline cocky.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
Quote by lozlovesstrats
holy shit 3-4000 people on your first show?
thats ambitious
good luck mate

I didn't organize it, I only found out the audience number myself a few days ago.
Quote by m4l666
Don't be cocky, don't be quiet. Be confident but not too much. It's a hard balance. If you don't look at your fingers it looks professional.

Quote by lagunasunrise
Be confident, boarderline cocky.

I think many of the pieces I'm playing already make up for confidence or cockiness. I'm not sure if you know them, but I'm doing four Justin King pieces such as Knock on Wood, Phunkdified, Squaredance, and Untitled Project.
Quote by THE NEKRYPH
but I'm gonna be taking a good number of shots of hard liquor before i go on just to loosen myself up, so hopefully that won't happen.

That isn't the best idea. 1 or 2 would be alright to loosen up, but after that it might make you a bit sloppy in your playing.

That is a big crowd for your first show. If it was smaller I would suggest just a bit of chatting with the crowd in between songs to loosen everyone up and engage the audience, you could still try to do that.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
im guessing youve played in front of friends before, if not you could get a small group of people over and play for them for practice.

thats all the advice i can give really
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by slidething31
That isn't the best idea. 1 or 2 would be alright to loosen up, but after that it might make you a bit sloppy in your playing.

That is a big crowd for your first show. If it was smaller I would suggest just a bit of chatting with the crowd in between songs to loosen everyone up and engage the audience, you could still try to do that.

Yeah, I'm planning to do that, in fact I think it will be vital, even though the majority of them don't speak English, I'll have to address them in their own language.
so youre playing through there house pa i take it. make sure you have a good soundman and can get the mix on the monitors right. you may want to bring a soundhole cover just in case for feedback control.
a sound check is crucial if you cant sound check try to lower all your settings on your preamp or eq so you can still color your sound to your liking. you may find you need more adjustment and if your settings are already on the extremely high or low side of the spectrum then you wont have any room to adjust save for the sound man.

no more than two shots it really only takes 2 drinks to begin to loosen inhabitions with alcohol. and yes talk to the crowd one thing i alwaysed loved about jim crocie was how he would tell the back story to the song he would do. also make sure the guitar is in tune and you have a bypass tuner so you can retune silently in case one adjusts.
but most importantly have fun the crowd can tell when you are not enjoying it and trust me if you are negative they will feed off of it. even if you make a huge mistake and have to start over laugh it off and say ive never played in front of a live crowd before and it looks like i picked the best give yourselves a hand or something to the effect. good luck sir
Quote by anita prs bad
so youre playing through there house pa i take it. make sure you have a good soundman and can get the mix on the monitors right. you may want to bring a soundhole cover just in case for feedback control.
a sound check is crucial if you cant sound check try to lower all your settings on your preamp or eq so you can still color your sound to your liking. you may find you need more adjustment and if your settings are already on the extremely high or low side of the spectrum then you wont have any room to adjust save for the sound man.

no more than two shots it really only takes 2 drinks to begin to loosen inhabitions with alcohol. and yes talk to the crowd one thing i alwaysed loved about jim crocie was how he would tell the back story to the song he would do. also make sure the guitar is in tune and you have a bypass tuner so you can retune silently in case one adjusts.
but most importantly have fun the crowd can tell when you are not enjoying it and trust me if you are negative they will feed off of it. even if you make a huge mistake and have to start over laugh it off and say ive never played in front of a live crowd before and it looks like i picked the best give yourselves a hand or something to the effect. good luck sir

Thanks for all the advice, I shall certainly heed it. That actually is my biggest concern, the soundman and my finding the right tone that I need. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it all turns out in the end. Hopefully it will be good enough that I can post clips of the show on youtube.
Quote by thomaserak
avoid the acoustic guitar because it's for grampas.

You. Go away.

Anyway... my advice is to never let there be too much silence between songs. Make sure you practice transitioning. There's nothing worse than leaving an emptiness between songs. You can talk or converse about something in between to take care of that.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Listen to some live ryan adams videos on youtube Ive heard him mess up plenty of times and I think it just adds character to the show (if that makes sense) Dont just go from song to song like a robot especially if its just you and not a full band
" Im so god damned horny the crack of dawn better be carefull around me."
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender MIM Telecaster w/ rosewood neck&Emg's
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
I'm not really ONLY doing my solo stuff. It's like I play with my band first, then I do a solo piece, then another song with the band, alternating like that. And since I have to change tunings almost every time for a new song, I'll be leaving the rest of my band to handle the silence between songs.
Quote by THE NEKRYPH
I'm not really ONLY doing my solo stuff. It's like I play with my band first, then I do a solo piece, then another song with the band, alternating like that. And since I have to change tunings almost every time for a new song, I'll be leaving the rest of my band to handle the silence between songs.

you should talk to them between tuning you guitar instead of like trying to cover up the silence with the band makes you seem more authentic and not so nervouse besides if you are nervouse the best way i think to deal with it is by talking to the crowd it just makes you more comfortable.....lol tell a bad joke
" Im so god damned horny the crack of dawn better be carefull around me."
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender MIM Telecaster w/ rosewood neck&Emg's
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Try to tell jokes, act clumsy and human, so the audience can relate to you and feel like they're a part of your show.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite