Hey guys!

My friend is starting to get into guitar, and he has a decent guitar, but a horrible amp. Now he found a deal for a Crate DX 212, but I have no experience with this amp. Apparently this is an old amp. As in 2000 old. Its selling for 200ish when it usually goes for 600ish. Should he look for something else or is this actually a decent deal? Will it sound decent for a beginner who mainly is just practicing in his room? I would try it out myself but I'm not able to.

Thanks!
What style of music do you play?
What is your real budget for the amp?
What kind of guitar do you have?
Would you consider used amps?
What part of the world do you live in - near what major city?

These answers will allow us to help you better.

Edit: re-read this is for your friend, so all the "you"s to "his". But yea.
Hes into grunge to hard rock/metal. Pretty much anything, but hed cater to those.
Not sure, let me check with him.
He will be borrowing my Mexican Strat.
The amp IS used, the guy selling it has used it for quite a while.
He lives within a 10 min drive from guitar center.
Last edited by StepAside at Sep 21, 2008,
Check for used amps on your nearest major city's craigslist. Go to the musical instruments section and search for used amps within his budget. I have not played that Crate so I can't really comment on it. I did have an old SS crate waaaaay long ago. Sounded great but was not reliable, broke in 2 years.

Have him try a Roland MicroCube and Vox Da5 at Guitar center. Great starter amps.
Quote by gregs1020
Check for used amps on your nearest major city's craigslist. Go to the musical instruments section and search for used amps within his budget. I have not played that Crate so I can't really comment on it. I did have an old SS crate waaaaay long ago. Sounded great but was not reliable, broke in 2 years.

Have him try a Roland MicroCube and Vox Da5 at Guitar center. Great starter amps.

+1 This

It never hurts to at least look. Great way to get your hands on a quality amp and the best thing is you can try before you buy. Beats eBay and overpriced new amps anyday.

*now that I see Gregs is on here, i'm going to go enjoy the rest of my Sunday outside*

peaceout